• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Everyday Sniper Episode 15 Intro to Wind

Frank, great job on these podcasts! Been really enjoying them! Both of you are entertaining and informative, while still delivering content at the right level of detail. Appreciate the effort.

Quick question... tried looking for the enhanced wind rose diagram on Snipers Hide site but could not find it. Can you provide a link or post it directly?

Thanks.

Reactions: PBWalsh
Windrose.png

So... since Frank gave Wyoming a shout out with the wind we deal with, if you saw this on your way to the range, what would be your wind call...

This was North of Cheyenne today by the way, gusts were 65+
truck.jpg

Those of you who have ever shot at the infamous Rattlesnake Mountain (Tri-Cities Shooting Facilities), in Benton WA, know what wind is like. I remember when I first started shooting FTR I shot quite a few LR matches out there and the prevailing wind would be 30-40 MPH. My biggest windage adjustment to date was 26 MOA between what I had dialed and what I was holding. This was way back when I was shooting 155.5gr Bergers. I just shot the Cold Bore Rifleman Team Challenge last weekend at Rattlesnake, and day two gave us a good taste of the typical Rattlesnake winds. I was still able to connect on the longest target of the match with a 2.75 Mil wind hold at 825 yards shooting my 6.5x47 and 123gr Scenars.
Stories and anecdotes aside. F-class matches are a great place to get wind experience since you have the luxury of wind flags downrange and each shot being marked. Tactical shooters can gain a lot just by going to f-class matches simply for the wind practice. It has helped me immensely in tactical shooting.

Frank, thanks for all the info your putting out in these podcast! They’re an incredible resource.

This was the wind we had today at Otto Road here in Cheyenne. Got some good data out to 1027yds.

Winds gustt past 50mph occasionally and the low was 25mph.

The picture is of an analog wind meter that was installed in the shoot house.

Attachments

• IMAG0396.jpg
    IMAG0396.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 111