• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Everyday Sniper Podcast: Live Chris and Frank: Standards

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com

The Everyday Sniper Podcast: Live Chris and Frank: Standards

The Everyday Sniper Podcast: Chris & Frank Standards

The deeper we dive into this precision rifle stuff, the more we see the need for standards, as well as ranking for the shooter. I really think we are missing an opportunity the Handgun people have enjoyed for some time now. Standards and Rankings.

We are live n the Sniper's Hide App, as well as recording the Everyday Sniper Podcast.

You can watch the video of this episode at Sniper's Hide in the Hide TV Archives for our Live.

It's a great topic we are talking about and how the competition world can incorporate more information in the scores or using skills stages or standards in a different way.

I like the idea of "standards", I think it could get pretty complicated pretty quickly with all the different aspects of shooting. A good example of this was the bench rest shooter you talked about. They have mastered one aspect but failed at 3 others. I think we'll need to clearly define our shooting discipline to make a standards system work because F-class is different than PRS is different than Benchrest. Panties will get in a bunch real quick when the F-class world Champion is not at the top of the rankings... because "he's the world champ".

Using this Thread A Syllabus: Learning Precision Rifle Shooting we can start to see the main categories

Categories​

1. Weapon and Gear
    2. Shooting Fundamentals (Precision)
    3. Ballistics and Wind Reading (Accuracy)
    4. On the Range (Competence)
    5. In the Field (Application)

Then we need to define what each level in each of these can be. here is a general list of what if could be

Standards within each category​

Level 1 - Understanding of what it is and the basics of how it works.
    Level 2 - Ability to use the information or gear to create a reasonable solution
    Level 3 - Ability to change or alter your system or gear to fit your needs
    Level 4 - Ability to efficiently manage and apply your system or gear for a designed objective
    Level 5 - Competence under stress to successfully complete the objective

Just spit ball'n.

Reactions: Lowlight
    We are coming up with a Level 6 system

It is basically how you described it, but we are moving closer towards (for lack of a better word) a belt system. Not a literal belt system but following that type that model

We have 6 levels in our current outline

Level one should include mounting a scope, installing/removing a basic 2 pin trigger and installing a stock/chassis on a barreled action. I can't see how anyone could ever get serious about shooting if they can't do those 3 basic things for themselves.

I’m still getting into this episode, but Frank’s Viper and Lamborghini parallel to competence had me laughing my ass off !! That shit was funny when he said, “Or like the super car. A guy buys a super car. Yea he has the means and the money. He buys a Dodge Viper or something, right?, he leaves the dealership, gets on the highway, kicks it in the ass, it spins and he smashes it. It’s the first time he jumped on it and he’s already smashed it up. Now you can say he owns the car but he isn’t competent with it. He doesn’t know the first thing about it and he’s gonna smash it really quick, just like he did. The gun industry is the same way…We wanna go beyond ownership.” 😂 Love it!!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Lowlight