• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship The evolution of a data book

USMC22

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
New Hampshire
My introduction to rifle data books was with the Marine Corps (Annual Rifle Qual). This year I’ve focused on the fundamentals and training versus chasing gear. This evolution has made me start rethinking my data book. I’m looking to move toward “hard data” and create cards for different density altitudes and track how the temperature is changing my muzzle velocity. I want to be able to rebuild kestrel profiles with trued data in the event I loose a profile. Finally the last reason is simply organization (tracking gear, serial #’s etc). I’m curious if others have ended up here after chasing the “perfect pages” of data books.

A. PERSONALIZED RIFLE DATA BOOK 3X5 CARDS

CURRENT CARDS:
  1. WEAPON DATA CARD
  2. SCOPE DATA CARD
  3. TORQUE SPECS
  4. NON FIREARM SERIALIZED GEAR
  5. NON FIREARM NON SERIALIZED GEAR
  6. KESTREL DATA CARD
  7. MIL VALUE ADJUSTMENTS - YARDS
  8. MOA VALUE ADJUSTMENTS - YARDS
  9. CHRONOGRAPH DATA CARD
  10. BLANK DOPE CARD
NEED TO MAKE CARDS:
  1. BALLISTIC COME UP SHEET X DENSITY ALTITUDE
  2. LEADS FOR MOVING TARGETS
  3. QUICK WIND DATA CARD
B. RITE IN THE RAIN DOPE NOTEBOOK: This notebook seems to have a concise format without a lot of “fluff” and the ability to record misc notes on the back page of every sheet. It also has some formula’s, a brief conversion table and ruler.

1. CALCULATING WIND EFFECT
  2. RANGE ESTIMATION FORMULAS
  3. MEASUREMENT CONVERSIONS

C. SLOPE DOPER (already have and saves me from recreating a data card)

D. MILDOT MASTER (again, already have and useful as an analog backup)

E. BATTLE BOARDS SCOUT 4.0 looks like a good way to keep everything together while providing a large see through port on the outside that could be marked up and erased with map pens.

Pics of card’s I’m working on... not sure why some of the pics are showing too large for the server to process right now...

Attachments

• D1177B86-1BEB-4205-92ED-2C41945FDC6F.jpeg
    D1177B86-1BEB-4205-92ED-2C41945FDC6F.jpeg
    440.9 KB · Views: 176
  • ACB4FFBE-85BE-4BD2-B197-938DC36C671E.jpeg
    ACB4FFBE-85BE-4BD2-B197-938DC36C671E.jpeg
    439.5 KB · Views: 179
I’m using Rite in the Rain index cards and going to laminate them. My plan is to log maintenance and round count at the bench where the rest of the manuals are (scope, rifle, etc).

Anyone gone down this rabbit path and have some words of wisdom?

Waiting on the laminator

Attachments

• 33712EBC-23E9-414C-82C4-2C0EDE6CEA76.jpeg
    33712EBC-23E9-414C-82C4-2C0EDE6CEA76.jpeg
    469.9 KB · Views: 115
More pics

Attachments

• A78FEEBE-4EB9-4DDF-A657-54FE1555778E.jpeg
    A78FEEBE-4EB9-4DDF-A657-54FE1555778E.jpeg
    457.8 KB · Views: 94
  • B86E8896-4C00-410E-9796-6CD08EB08B53.jpeg
    B86E8896-4C00-410E-9796-6CD08EB08B53.jpeg
    479.6 KB · Views: 107
Reactions: Habu34
I'm just gonna tag into this to see how it progresses. On my personal notebook (I use a book with blank paper, write date, and notes).
Beginning for each rifle I note brass batch, primer batch, power and projectile batch. H20 volume of brass (5, averaged) and details on load such as brass OAL, cartridge OAL, touching lands length via this method:

Also what bushings I use (if they are bushing dies), because I've measured neck diameters, etc..

Via round count, and how many brass, and specifically what it's for (hunting not so much, but accurate target I will) anneal and record when it was done.

That's a good start.
I have no military or law enforcemnt expereince so take this as you will.

I have worked on putting together a data book too. I like to start with a questions; What is the purpose of the this book?
Is it to put all of your rifle infromation in one place? is it a field book? a book to be a book? I am purpose driven so that is where I start. My data book is intended to help me hit more targets. I focus on the field infromation needed. Drope, wind and environment. I don't intend to belittle your effort but I strugle to find the need to for a list of my gear and serial numbers in my data book. I might keep that infromation at my reloading bench or in my safe but how does that help me in the field (purpose driven). For me its one more pice of paper to get carry and get lost in what trying to find what I really need in a hurry.

How is an "MOA expalained" card going to be used? or a first vs 2nd focal plain card? (purpose driven) Sure its a neat card to have but will YOU use it? and how? (honest question, I am intersted to know)

My data book has all charts and raw numbers. i don't have a equation it it. If I am having to do long math on the line ai have already lost the battle. Rather than having a card with and equation on it I have a chart with the math worked out. I have chart that show target mils tall (Y Axis) target range (x axis) and the inches in the chart. no need to do math this way. I could do this in mils and moa if needed. MOA to mil conversion is all in a chart rather then a formula. Its good to know how to find these numbers but in the heat of the moment or a hunt I want numbers at me finger tips, not a formula.

I guess I see a differnce in a infromation book and a data book. I think many of the comerically availble data books have bits of both of them in them. For me the infroamtion book is just info about how the data book is made and understanding equipment. The data book is the actual book you take to the field, range or hunting trip with you. The data book it all charts from previous values, programs or engagments and the notes i need to take at the range.

With the advantage of a modern day ballistic computer I find myself ony taking notes when something is happening that does not match the program. This becomes an area to figure out the problem. As for re-creating the program I only need one set of truing data and weather conditions to get this done. I keep my main drop cards up to date for this purpose.

Here is post you'll find several of my charts I have worked on.
Update 5/13/2020 - I have updated the Google Document.
  1. On the Density Altitude sheet the - Station pressure is now calculated for you once you enter the temperature and desire density altitude. This way you can simply fill the DA sheet in for what you want and input that into your ballistic calculator. You no longer need to calculate DAs. Give it the desired DA and temp and it will tell you the station pressure to put in your calculator.
  2. I have added more sheets to the wrist coach. You can now print out Dope sheets for each of the columns on the DA sheet.
Shared Data Book Sheets

UPDATE 3/10/2020 - Here is a link to the google excel sheet that is the blank slate for these charts. If you can figure out how to run and print them, have fun. You can down load them to windows excel from here. Shared Data Book Sheets

UPDATE - I posted Fillable charts as the attached PDFs. Now you should be able to type in your drop and wind data right into the PDF. Most PDF editors (adobe and the likes of) should be able to let you input your data.
I have put together a couple charts that can help us all make better dope books. For My data book I like to cut these out, laminate them back to back then hole puch the card and place it in my data book. This an 8.5x11 piece of paper that could be folded in half to have all of your numbers.

Dope Charts and Wind Rose
Here is my typical data book page for drop charts with the wind rose on the back. The first row of the wind columns I usually put my rifle MPH and fill the column for that.
See the attachement for the PDF of each of these.
View attachment 7266644

Here is an example of my Card filled out for 8000DA
View attachment 7266645

Density Altitude charts
How do you have a paper chart for Density Altitude (DA) changes in your dope? Do any of you have a DA sheet in your Data Book?

I have read and been told to have drop charts for every 2000DA change. My home range is usually around 2000DA. This means I need a drop chart for -2000ft, 0ft, 2000ft, 4000ft, 6000ft, 8000ft, 10,000ft. That's 7 pages in a dope book for one rifle. I don't really want to have that many pages for one rifle (yes, I want ONE data Book for all my rifles). With 3 rifles is 21 pages to sift through. So... below is the chart I made for changing DA. Now I have 2 pages, my Home range dope chart with the wind information on the back and a DA dope chart.

Things to Note
  1. Data recorded - at the top of the chart is how I got the DA numbers. This way I can reference how temperature might change the DA as well as the station pressure. (note the comment in the margin about how temp change = DA change)
  2. All of these are at 50% humidity. To keep this simple I had to eliminate a variable, humidity was it. While I think it will effect things more after 1000yds I don't think it has enough variance inside 1000 to worry about.
  3. Wind - The wind row has 2 numbers in it. The 2 numbers are the wind speeds that are equivalent to the wind hold for 2000DA. Example - if I'm shooting at 6000DA, 800 yards - a 7mph hold is 0.9 mils (6mph from 2000DA) and a 12mph hold is 1.6mil (10mph hold for 2000DA) this allowed the chart to re-use 2 columns of information for each DA change and for me to know what my Rifle MPH is at each DA.
  4. After doing this I think the chart will work out to 1000 or 1100 yards. After that a more refined DA chart may be warranted. At 1100 yards jumping 2000DA is a 0.4 mil jump, that's about 16" of change. For an accurate shot I recommend consulting your Ballistic program on the longer shots with changing DA, but these values will at least give you a starting point if you don't have any other information. of you'll need to pin down your true DA and guess between numbers if needed.
  5. I presented this chart in 2 ways. 1st - straight data. 2nd is the plus or minus from the home range value. Doing the 2nd version can help us understand how much DA can really effect our dope. The 2nd if more for informational used and not necessarily something I would have in my data book.

Let me know what you think.

1st chart Raw DA values
View attachment 7221662

2nd chart - Difference in DA from my home range.
View attachment 7221663

Moving Targets
Here are my charts to measure the mover speed and what to hold for speed at distance. The mover speed chart can be used for any mover/rifle. The lead chart is rifle specific and based on time of flight. IF things are moving faster than 5mph you'll have to do multiples of a number.

Mover Speed - Mil measuring and my Lead chart for my 6.5 creed. The lead is all based on time of flight.
View attachment 7221666

Mover speed - MOA measuring
View attachment 7221667

Weaponized Math (Try Dope) and Mills to MOA Conversion
Lastly - here is the weaponized math with the MOA-Mil conversion

This sheet is Mils Based
View attachment 7181868

This sheet is MOA based
View attachment 7325848

Reactions: RS14
That's a good start.
I have no military or law enforcemnt expereince so take this as you will.

I have worked on putting together a data book too. I like to start with a questions; What is the purpose of the this book?
Is it to put all of your rifle infromation in one place? is it a field book? a book to be a book? I am purpose driven so that is where I start. My data book is intended to help me hit more targets. I focus on the field infromation needed. Drope, wind and environment. I don't intend to belittle your effort but I strugle to find the need to for a list of my gear and serial numbers in my data book. I might keep that infromation at my reloading bench or in my safe but how does that help me in the field (purpose driven). For me its one more pice of paper to get carry and get lost in what trying to find what I really need in a hurry.

How is an "MOA expalained" card going to be used? or a first vs 2nd focal plain card? (purpose driven) Sure its a neat card to have but will YOU use it? and how? (honest question, I am intersted to know)

My data book has all charts and raw numbers. i don't have a equation it it. If I am having to do long math on the line ai have already lost the battle. Rather than having a card with and equation on it I have a chart with the math worked out. I have chart that show target mils tall (Y Axis) target range (x axis) and the inches in the chart. no need to do math this way. I could do this in mils and moa if needed. MOA to mil conversion is all in a chart rather then a formula. Its good to know how to find these numbers but in the heat of the moment or a hunt I want numbers at me finger tips, not a formula.

I guess I see a differnce in a infromation book and a data book. I think many of the comerically availble data books have bits of both of them in them. For me the infroamtion book is just info about how the data book is made and understanding equipment. The data book is the actual book you take to the field, range or hunting trip with you. The data book it all charts from previous values, programs or engagments and the notes i need to take at the range.

With the advantage of a modern day ballistic computer I find myself ony taking notes when something is happening that does not match the program. This becomes an area to figure out the problem. As for re-creating the program I only need one set of truing data and weather conditions to get this done. I keep my main drop cards up to date for this purpose.

Here is post you'll find several of my charts I have worked on.

Thanks for the input on your approach! The MOA / MIL and Scope Cards are meant to be able to show new shooters etc rather than explain and see a confused look. The MOA to MIL formula’s I find more convenient than several pages of conversions. I see your point about the gear cards but I guess that’s just been drilled in to me from the military (Gear Accountability).

The second batch of cards like I said are more likely to live in a range bag.

For a pure data book I would only include MIL’s as that is what I use. The MOA stuff is more when I’m spotting for someone who is using MOA.

Reactions: Jack Master
I’m using Rite in the Rain index cards and going to laminate them. My plan is to log maintenance and round count at the bench where the rest of the manuals are (scope, rifle, etc).

Anyone gone down this rabbit path and have some words of wisdom?
I'll be interested to hear everyone's thoughts. I mainly use a data book to track a cold bore shot plus the next two and then to gather DOPE when I can do some longer distance shooting. I also keep a round count section. I would eventually like to gather up the DOPE into Density Altitude Drop Charts when I get more data.