• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing The finish on a Laminated stock is cracking

bowtie4x4295

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2007
Prattville, ALABAMA
I have an older 264 Win Mag in a laminated stock. The finish on the stock has some very fine cracks in the high gloss finish. Does the finish have to be completely removed, or can it be scuffed, cleaned well and re-coated. Would like to get back to the factory look. The cracks look like what the call crows feet on an car finish. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mike

Re: The finish on a Laminated stock is cracking

I was a painter for about 7 yrs. You have to remove the old finish. Even if spots arent cracked they can start to crack and ruin new work. Sand it down to bare wood by hand. I wouldnt use any chemicals since that might damage to woood glue. Finish it 320 dry or 400 wet. Use a quality clearcoat to refinish it. Id stick with Glasuirt,Diamont. I never liked PPG or Chromobase. They are more solvent then resins. I good finish will never crack. I have rifles I painted 15 yrs ago that still look new.

Re: The finish on a Laminated stock is cracking

Best (and easiest) finish for laminated stocks is several coats of clear duracoat. Leaves a nice satin finish and is nice and tough. +1 on sanding to bare wood. With the duracoat, only have to sand to 220 as the duracoat will fill small scratches and hide them in the satin finish. If you want that high gloss finish like a weatherby, prob want to go the auto paint route