• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Franchi Varmint Horizon for 1000m shooting

The K

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2022
Netherlands
Hello, I have a friend who wants to get a bolt gun for fun long range shooting but is on a tight budget. He's not wanting to win prizes, but just playing around with long range target shooting on a budget. Obviously a Ruger Precision rifle in .308 or .300 would be advisable, or also Sabatti st18 or EVO but looking at prices I saw the Franchi Horizon Varmint (they make a few versions of it, subalpine, etc) also comes in .308 or .300WM and is around 1000 Euro.

Has anyone tried this rifle out, is it realistic to expect it to be able to reach the 1000m mark reliably?
Thank you,
G.

Hello, I have a friend who wants to get a bolt gun for fun long range shooting but is on a tight budget. He's not wanting to win prizes, but just playing around with long range target shooting on a budget. Obviously a Ruger Precision rifle in .308 or .300 would be advisable, or also Sabatti st18 or EVO but looking at prices I saw the Franchi Horizon Varmint (they make a few versions of it, subalpine, etc) also comes in .308 or .300WM and is around 1000 Euro.

Has anyone tried this rifle out, is it realistic to expect it to be able to reach the 1000m mark reliably?
Thank you,
G.
Get a savage in 6.5, it will be accurate and not very expensive.

...and most likely to not work out of the box.

I agree on the Tikka if you can get one.

I've had a few savages, still have one in .223 with a 30 in F class barrel. Never had a failure, they not as nicely finished, but I haven't had one that didn't shoot.

Hard to believe anything is that much cheaper than a savage. Can't imagine the quality of something that much cheaper.
the Franchi is a well known and excellent local brand. Savage has to be imported with all the additional costs and duties.