• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The fun of paying in CASH

D̷e̷v̷i̷l̷D̷o̷c̷A̷Z̷

Banned x2 🤪
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2014
Yuma, AZ
Anyone notice paying in cash becoming more and more strange?

I’m not just talking about how merchants discourage it, remember the change shortage? I’m talking about actually paying in cash and the confusion it causes

Some examples:
At the drive thru cashier tells me he doesn’t have 32¢ to give me change. Asked me “hey are you cool not getting the 32¢” to which I replied “yeah, if you throw in an apple pie or a handful of extra fries” dude walked off then came back “fuck it, have a pie, no one wants to give me change”

Next day, paid cash and person opens drawer and thinks they were robbed because there was to till in the drawer. Lol

Today, change was $X.60 idiot cashier hands me 6 dimes despite having quarters too. Lol.

Idk what’s happening. Sure I expect these idiots to look at me strange when the total is $17.27 and I hand them $22.02. And I get that they think it’s a magic trick when the change is $5.75 but for fucks sake….6 dimes?! No change?!

Idk how this will shake out but I’m hopeful that for a while I’ll live in the land of free apple pies or handfuls of fries.

How are things where you live?

I’m not just talking about how merchants discourage it, remember the change shortage? I’m talking about actually paying in cash and the confusion it causes

Some examples:
At the drive thru cashier tells me he doesn’t have 32¢ to give me change. Asked me “hey are you cool not getting the 32¢” to which I replied “yeah, if you throw in an apple pie or a handful of extra fries” dude walked off then came back “fuck it, have a pie, no one wants to give me change”

Next day, paid cash and person opens drawer and thinks they were robbed because there was to till in the drawer. Lol

Today, change was $X.60 idiot cashier hands me 6 dimes despite having quarters too. Lol.

Idk what’s happening. Sure I expect these idiots to look at me strange when the total is $17.27 and I hand them $22.02. And I get that they think it’s a magic trick when the change is $5.75 but for fucks sake….6 dimes?! No change?!

Idk how this will shake out but I’m hopeful that for a while I’ll live in the land of free apple pies or handfuls of fries.

They can make change but don’t speak English. I’m looking forward to robotic service.

Reactions: Nik H and Yasherka
LOL...I can't give money away sometimes. Trying to buy some land. My offer $200k and extend an easement (easement is already established to another property). Seller's "realtor" is actually the listing agent along WITH a different "transaction broker".....they want to split the commission 3 ways. My agent was willing to get the deal done. THEN they want to add on road maintenance agreement.....WITHOUT giving me any details...but they want this in the sales contract. WTF?! After we start asking questions....THEY say we are making it difficult and they walk away.

SO .....you got a problem getting $.60 in change...I can't give $200k in cash away.

Went to monster jam in Houston a couple weeks ago and nrg stadium is a completely cash free establishment now.

They can make change but don’t speak English. I’m looking forward to robotic service.

My wife despises them, but I enjoy self-checkouts and ordering kiosks.

LOL...I can't give money away sometimes. Trying to buy some land. My offer $200k and extend an easement (easement is already established to another property). Seller's "realtor" is actually the listing agent along WITH a different "transaction broker".....they want to split the commission 3 ways. My agent was willing to get the deal done. THEN they want to add on road maintenance agreement.....WITHOUT giving me any details...but they want this in the sales contract. WTF?! After we start asking questions....THEY say we are making it difficult and they walk away.

SO .....you got a problem getting $.60 in change...I can't give $200k in cash away.

We once made an offer of the asking price on a house. My only request was some minor electrical repairs (about $500). The owners declined my offer, no counter, just NO. About a year later I looked it up and saw they sold several months after my offer for 10K less than asking. I guess it was worth it to avoid dealing with an electrician.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
he total is $17.27 and I hand them $22.02. And I get that they think it’s a magic trick when the change is $5.75
A7CB7505-822E-407F-80B8-573BFF7EF123.gif

I can see why paying with cash gives you strange looks and issues

Hard to control cash spending in the future. Dgigtal tracks everything and is easy to make useless. Of course I am preaching to the choir I know. We are headed to places of easier control and most people have no idea....more convenient, cash is dirty, keeps my wallet thinner, my purse is less cluttered, yada, yada,yada.

Everyone up here is switching to self checkout and the methheads and fentanyl addicts stand behind the counter just dripping Hep. C into the pre-prepared foods… so you check yourself out, and if the machine farts and you get a free breakfast biscuit, so what.

Banning Narcan would be a good start.

Banning the NEA and the Dept. of Ed. Would be another.

Sirhr

The other day my bill was 22.05. I handed the girl a twenty and a ten while I searched for a nickel in my pocket. I found the nickel and offered it to the girl. "It's too late, I already rang it in", she says.
"OK", I say, patiently waiting for my 7.95. She hands me the change. I add the nickel to the .95 and ask her for a dollar. I'm sure she'll never figure it out......

Sign of things to come, they (under the age 25) can't make change nor can they tell time unless it is digital, try and have them read or write cursive writing letters, not going to happen. Another thing i keep an eye on is "count my change" back very frequently it is light! Sometime my brain tells me the middle-aged doll is giving herself a pay raise on folks that can't count. Was a season ticket holder with the NHL the arena started going cashless, corona came along dropped the seats, just more conditioning for the cashless society. Nobody is tracking how many beers i consume with a credit card period, and that goes for any place!

Reactions: Maxwell
I was getting kerosene at the gas station a few weeks ago and it was $6.50 a gallon. I wanted 10 gallons. Girl had to get her phone out to calculate my total prepayment owed before turning the pump on. Not a cash thing, but i watched the gears turn and burn before she reached for her phone.

have them read or write cursive writing letters, not going to happen.
My wife and I fostered two brothers for two years. When the oldest was 5 we had an appliance delivery and two Mexicans came into the house. They were speaking Spanish to each other. He looks at us and asks as serious as could be, "Are they speaking in cursive?" 🤣🤣🤣.

I was getting kerosene at the gas station a few weeks ago and it was $6.50 a gallon. I wanted 10 gallons. Girl had to get her phone out to calculate my total prepayment owed before turning the pump on. Not a cash thing, but i watched the gears turn and burn before she reached for her phone.
I can’t type or do math when people are staring a hole through me. Any other time I’m fine.

I bought a new truck a few months ago and when I was in there there was a guy trying to pay cash for a used truck. Like actually had a bag of cash. The dealer said no, he would have to take it to a bank and get some type of certified payment. I asked my salesman what the deal was. He told be that they got burned a few years ago. Guy paid cash for a new car, they deposited the cash in their bank and a few of the bills were fake. The Feds come in and took ALL of the money from the bank deposit for the investigation. That is how the Feds roll. They were out a car and like $70k....... Not a good day.

Last year I bought a used pickup from a small dealer.
'19 F250 SC, nice but not fancy, $25K.
Went to pay for it and plopped down $15K in cash (still in bank wrappers).
Dealer said he would not take cash, too much paper work if he tried to deposit said cash with his bank.
WTF???
I wrote him a check for the full amount and then told him to give me couple of days to get back home and get the money deposited to cover the check I just wrote

So I asked my bank and they said anything over a $5K cash deposit and they had a form they were required to fill out.
If it was a customer they knew the form stayed in house and never went any farther.
If it was someone they did not know, they had the option to pass it on up the chain.

I won't take this down the "attempt to digitize money in order to control our spending" of our earned monies rabbit hole

But it makes me wonder..........................

The rare times I do carry cash and pay with it, I don't really notice confusion when my change comes back. Some are a little slower than others, but not by much. And @Clob McStrunk can fuck right off with his $2 bills. I fucking hate those things and have a friend who thinks it's hilarious to pay me in those things when we've played poker. :mad:

Dealer said he would not take cash, too much paper work if he tried to deposit said cash with his bank.
WTF???
I wrote him a check for the full amount and then told him to give me couple of days to get back home and get the money deposited to cover the check I just wrote

So I asked my bank and they said anything over a $5K cash deposit and they had a form they were required to fill out.
If it was a customer they knew the form stayed in house and never went any farther.
If it was someone they did not know, they had the option to pass it on up the chain.

I won't take this down the "attempt to digitize money in order to control our spending" of our earned monies rabbit hole

I withdrew some cash out of my bank a few years back so I could have some "contingency cash" on hand. Wasn't briefcases full but over $10k. I wanted it in $20 bills. Took me a week to get it because they didn't have it on hand and had to "order" it and have it delivered to them (or so I was told). This was a Bank of America. I had to schedule a time to come pick it up and before I could claim it I had to fill out a Suspicious Activity Report. I ended up re-depositing some of the cash later and they made me fill out another SAR to explain where the cash came from.

I usually pay in cash. Or check. Even go to the bank to cash a check so I have cash. Never use automated check out. Can figure change in my head. Carry coins in the correct slot of the yardsale plastic center console thingy on the pickup's bench seat.

Working a little north of Denver. Lots of the big open air vegetable markets in the summer. Love those things. Gathered my stuff, 6 or 8 little bags, off to the register. Lady there weighed each one, figured each up, added them all and came up with the total, $16. I handed her the $10, $5 and the $1 in my hand. She stared at me and asked "How did you do that"? I smiled and told her the price per pound is on the wall and there are scales everywhere. With a little grin she thanked me and said come again. I did, every weekend. She never again weighed anything I bought, just asked me how much it was and I paid.

Working south of Bayfield. Put fuel in the pickup every third day at a little store in Ignacio. Also picked up a candy bar or two and a soda for the lunchbox. I knew how much each was with tax. So I adjusted the pennies on the gas pump so the total purchase came out to an even dollar. It was like they thought I was a magician.

Boom, Boom, Boom,
MrSmith

Heh, mexican food worker pulled the "we don't have change" shit with me, for like 78 cents. I was all, "oh, right on, then round up, ill take that dollar back" he stared at me for an awkward amount of time. I should have demanded my money back and left.

Youth /and others have had a problem with making change for YEARS. Dad was a math teacher so I'm pretty good with numbers in my head. (Although there are those voices)

Sadly its pretty easy to confuse those behind the counter, and probably isn't going to improve.

Reactions: 6/250/40
I withdrew some cash out of my bank a few years back so I could have some "contingency cash" on hand. Wasn't briefcases full but over $10k. I wanted it in $20 bills. Took me a week to get it because they didn't have it on hand and had to "order" it and have it delivered to them (or so I was told). This was a Bank of America. I had to schedule a time to come pick it up and before I could claim it I had to fill out a Suspicious Activity Report. I ended up re-depositing some of the cash later and they made me fill out another SAR to explain where the cash came from.

Keep cash out of the bank

Went to monster jam in Houston a couple weeks ago and nrg stadium is a completely cash free establishment now.
Almost every venue like that is now. Annoys the fuck out of me, I fucking hate having to use my card. It has made its way to HS sports as well, some local HS do not take cash for admittance. Was a real pain in the ass at one of my kids wrestling meets, wifi was down and they could not validate the online ticket purchases. Everyone in line was getting more than annoyed. Poor lady was like idk what to do...I do let me the fuck in to see my kid wrestle.

WTF???

Depositing a big amount of cash that is $10,000 or more means your bank or credit union will report it to the federal government. The $10,000 threshold was created as part of the Bank Secrecy Act, passed by Congress in 1970, and adjusted with the Patriot Act in 2002.

Suspicious activity in excess of $5,000 detected by the bank or an institution is also required to be reported.

Reactions: gigamortis
I sell 18 wheeler type trailers. Over the years I have been paid large amounts in cash many times. The first time it was a Mexican buyer that was going to pay me about $80,000.00 in cash. I didn't know if it was legal to accept that much cash, so I asked a guy from the gym I knw that was a FBI agent. He said there was nothing illegal about accepting that much cash. He did suggest that I get a photo ID from the buyer so I could positively show who paid the cash, but it was not required.

I self learned how to count change went I was a kid. I think what you're saying is "have you ever seen kids these days try and count change"? :unsure: :eek:
I get baffled looks when I count change back to my cash customers. The statement is always "I didn't think any one could do that anymore" <sigh>

Reactions: Threadcutter308
So that's like $72.63 worth, right?

the paper bills all say "for all debts public and private. i always wondered how cash could be refused. and yes cash totally confuses the younger cashiers unless their register tells them what change to give. get used to it because the gov def wants cash gone so they can control everything you do or buy. cash,like rifles and cars,are anathema to our overlords since they all 3 contribute to individual freedom and privacy.

I love buying things with cash , I also love when the cash machines don't tell the person opperating it how much change you get back , It truly can be like watching a deer stuck looking at headlights .

Reactions: mosin46
Oh in some ways I love this shit! I used to get free stuff this way. But, it’s harder to nowadays. One example, late 90’s I was somewhere in my TransAm and was about out of gas. So I pull over in the middle of nowhere to this gas station and fill up. At the time you could fill up for like $20. Anyways so I fill up and go inside and all I got is 100’s on me. I try and pay with a $100 bill and the dude says he can’t take that. I ask why not and he claims he doesn’t have change and insists I pay with a credit card. I was getting pissed and said I don’t have a card and you are telling me that my actual US Currency is no good, thinking this dude has to be lying about change cause this was when people still paid with stuff in cash, most of the time. Anyways he finally says he will take the $100 bill but I will just have to live with giving him $100 or I can call someone to give me some change. I told him I was not from anywhere around there and there was nobody to call. I said here is what I’m gonna do, I’m not giving you $80 cause you don’t know how to run a biz and don’t have cash on hand. I’m basically taking my $20 in gas and leaving. He said he was gonna call the cops and blah blah. I just left. Good times.

Oh in some ways I love this shit! I used to get free stuff this way. But, it’s harder to nowadays. One example, late 90’s I was somewhere in my TransAm and was about out of gas. So I pull over in the middle of nowhere to this gas station and fill up. At the time you could fill up for like $20. Anyways so I fill up and go inside and all I got is 100’s on me. I try and pay with a $100 bill and the dude says he can’t take that. I ask why not and he claims he doesn’t have change and insists I pay with a credit card. I was getting pissed and said I don’t have a card and you are telling me that my actual US Currency is no good, thinking this dude has to be lying about change cause this was when people still paid with stuff in cash, most of the time. Anyways he finally says he will take the $100 bill but I will just have to live with giving him $100 or I can call someone to give me some change. I told him I was not from anywhere around there and there was nobody to call. I said here is what I’m gonna do, I’m not giving you $80 cause you don’t know how to run a biz and don’t have cash on hand. I’m basically taking my $20 in gas and leaving. He said he was gonna call the cops and blah blah. I just left. Good times.
I knew a gas station that would do that. They wouldn't break a 100; so...
I'd buy 90 dollars in gas, give them a 100, they'd give me 10 dollars back. I'd go put 20 in the tank and they'd give me change.

Some small businesses won't accept $50s and/or $100s because those bills are most often counterfeited. If accepted employees usually hand it to a manager to check or hide so robbery losses are less.

Also, saving time by not having to count cash, balance register drawers, or physically deposit money into a bank, increasing chance of being robbed.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
This all makes me afraid of how far I might be over everyone's head when I'm teaching 18th c surveying and cartography techniques to young people. Despite how, as in counting change, it's extremely simple.

At first it's the complicated things like calculus which we all do as shooters, but then it's trigonometry, which we all also do as shooters, and now we're seeing simple arithmetic going by the wayside. It's no wonder we have since outsourcing not just out manufacturing but our engineering. It's already to the point that very few kids have the ability to find a right angle from nothing. Next it'll be reading.

Like Ricky from TPB, we think we're so smart because we have like TVs and shit. It's not until we find ourselves without this technology that we'll realize that individually there's no real knowledge about how it works. We gotta master the fundamentals.

Not taking $100 bills has as much to do with anti-counterfeiting as it does not having change. The $100 bill is the most counterfeited bill, and not all businesses are set up to spot the fakes.

Furthermore, federal law does not require businesses to accept cash, though state and local laws might…

Some examples:

You can't make $ .60 change with quarters.

• Haha
Reactions: Doc68
Calm down.....everybody can learn to count change again, if we had to go back to it. Why use a rotary phone when we have smart phones. Technology changes and so do people, not a big deal! You're gloating over something outdated......those kids are really laughing at you, the old geezer paying with cash.