• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The future of a firearms enthusiast

Magstang1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2010
Michigan
Let me start by noting the fact that I am a strong proponent of the second amendment and firearms ownership.

I feel that government in many capacities has overreached it's intended purpose. Legislation has become so out of reach for John Doe that it seemingly no longer servers the people. Bills are volumes long written in legal speak that is hard to understand and often full of pork belly legislation.

Somewhere the common sense approach of government was overrun with politicians who are able to vote themselves in pay raises and golden retirement packages regardless of performance and completely devoid of accountability.

Like it or not, it is what it has become. While the "democratic" virtues of this country were intended that the will of the people be served, it's difficult to change when seemingly everyone has their hand in the cookie jar. The lesser of two evils is still evil.

But I digress...

On to my intended point of this thread.

What will firearms ownership look like in 20, 30, 50 years?

When my parents were my age nearly every household in America had a .30-06 a .22 and a 12 gauge. Shooting cans in the field with your dad was a normal Saturday morning.

Firearms were simply perceived differently then than they are now.

I live in a fairly urban area, but it's right on the edge of rural. There's a mix of everyone in my vicinity from affluent modern households, to struggling families who often hunt to put dinner on the table.

Some people still remember the way it was, and how this country came into existence but the growing percentage of the population seems to be forgetting these things.

I don't generally initiate conversations about guns, but if the topic comes up and the person seems fairly knowledgable then hey, I love talking guns. It seems like anymore even the self professed gun enthusiasts are morons. Completely uninformed about gun laws and firearms knowledge in general. When we get about knee deep in the conversation and I do start talking about things I own, and the shooting I like to do, they start looking at me like I was one of the guys that flew a plane into the World Trade Center.

It's like guns are becoming taboo. Even my grandpa who gave me half the guns I own is jaded by the media.

What's going to happen years down the road when my son goes back to school on Monday and talks about shooting with dad?

I absolutely believe that people should stand up for their values and be who they are, but everyone here knows that life is harder going against the grain.

I'm not a big sports guy. That alone leaves me out of many circles. Now toss guns into the mix and I'm surprised the police aren't on my doorstep daily.

Blah blah blah. I know I'm rambling, but it's my thread.

My point is that the way the ever increasing percentage of the population perceives guns concerns me. It feels like one way or another one of the things I enjoy most in life will eventually become a thing of the past. Wether it be through culture change of the general public, legislation, or lawyers and insurance companies driving the price of this sport into the stratosphere.

It also concerns me about what repercussions my son may face in the next generation of civilization.

I certainly intend on exposing my son to shooting, and if he shows interest I look forward to shooting with him.

Being a person that has spent my life going the opposite direction of the current, I just don't want to make things harder for my children.

/rant.

Re: The future of a firearms enthusiast

I don't post much but read the forum almost everyday. I had much the same thought lately. I'm not ready to throw in the towel but I wonder if our generation (50 yo plus) will be the last to experience the joy of recreational shooting on a large scale basis. I'll keep trying to take folks out to shoot but if they don't love it, they'll not see the issue with banning guns they don't own. Guns enthusiasts will be marginalized more and more.

I don't think we'll see a complete ban on all firearms but the ones they leave alone won't be as much of a joy to shoot for me (no offense to those that enjoy cowboy action shooting, the guns that might be left alone.) For the others, they will make it such a PITA that many will just give up shooting. Even if you bury them, you won't be able to shoot them so where's the joy.

So many of the younger generation would rather shoot video games than get outside and actually try it. My son shoots and enjoys it but I don't know that he would go to the mat to protect that right. I shoot high power competitions and see the number of shooters going down year by year, especially younger shooters. You even see it at Camp Perry but some of that might be how the national matches have been run.

Lots of folks are running out to buy guns and magazines before they are banned but I don't think a lot of them will stand up to fight the ban. A steady erosion of rights will be the play book. If the republicans can't get the s&^t together, a democratic House will be the result and then things will get very bad.

OK, I feel worse now :) Let's hope some reason sneaks into the discussion and some real solutions come out of this.

jm2c

I just gotta post that when I grew up, none of my immediate family shot. My parents didn't own firearms. Some of my cousins did. I own, and teach my boys to shoot. So, if we look at things from the perspective of my family, firearm ownership has increased significantly - or at least skipped a generation somehow !

Different times brothers, they were better times in fact. I remember my dad telling me stories of taking his new 22LR to school for show and tell. A few months ago my 10 year old son nearly got expelled from school for having a air soft pistol in his back pack, it was see through clear with a orange muzzle, not loaded of course
crazy.gif

It has happened many times, religion and prayer, many schools no longer say the Pledge of Allegiance as to not offend. Now many say Happy Holidays around Christmas, now firearms owners are vilified and it is as you mentioned, taboo.

Different times

You old timers did such a great job of kicking ass and defending this country that the 30 and under citizens don't realize what it took to get where we are. As cliche as it sounds, it is true that you don't know what you've got until it's gone. You guys handed us a turn-key America and we have taken it for granted and let it go to shit. No one has to learn anything the hard way anymore. When times get tough, they expect someone to make it easy. The men that have the duty to rise against tyranny are, for the most part, a bunch of pussies who've never really faced challenges to their livelihood. Fortunately, I know enough men who are still willing to sacrifice themselves in the name of freedom, that I haven't lost complete hope. I might just be optimistic and naive though.... Regardless, I don't intend to see this country fall apart after hitting rock bottom. Whether that holds true because I'm no longer breathing or because we turn things around, I do not know.... I may be standing with only a dozen guys who are willing fight the fight and not stand a chance in Hell of making a difference, but I'll be damned if I don't go out swinging.

I heard the introduction to a story on the news a day or two ago. The headline read something like "college kids think they are the greatest generation yet." They had the fucking audacity to specifically say that they were better than the men who fought in WW2. It made me absolutely sick to my stomach. I'm a few years out of college, but those stupid little pricks are still what most would consider to be my generation. I'm ashamed, but not surprised. This society of hopes, promises, and never ending entitlement has bred and raised these naive little bitches. I hate to wish ill on my fellow citizens, but I long for the day when reality bitch slaps my generation.

"We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate."
-Thomas Jefferson

You know I have plenty of thanks give to the many good members here, and what they have taught me. However, putting those excessive adulations aside I have to say this.
First being a first gerneration American I feel obligated to set the example for any possible descendents about their role in society. I do this by not only observing the laws being inacted but learning the histories, and intentions of our Founding Fathers. That every man is created equal, and has the right to persue life, liberty, and happiness. However you must fight to keep what you have.
Which brings me too my second point. The idea of duty, honor, and country. My impression is that the 2nd Admendment was meant to be upheld by a certain trait of character. A sense of service to a cause greater than their own. Unblinking, unwaivering, relentless loyalty to uphold civil liberty. This is done by knowing the laws, the ways of men, and how best to admend both. We have to remember those words spoken, and written that came before us. Like a an American President once said
"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." -John F. Kennedy
Many people here have joined in military service, or joined in law enforcement. For which there is no shame, and much of what we have if attributed to such service, but we must remember in order for this system to work we the people as a whole must remember our duties also. That we have a goverment by the people, for the people, of the people. So in order for civil liberty too prevail we must not restrict service for our country into roles govermental employment only.
I think a person should wake up in the morning, and seeing what they have too offer the world. Then best use those abilities for the greater good. Be it the ways of music, law, agriculter, business, art, governing, or war. Remember we are the face of a nation. Our actions will echo into eternity, and they will effect not just our lives, but the lives entire nations. We must be the light unto ourselves, and then unto the world. We do this by going into society and contributing to the cause.
Remember as a citizen you must maintan a certain fortitude of character. For how are we supposed protect our liberty against all foreign and domestic enemies if we lack the conviction to carry out thy duties if in daily affairs? How can we win if the standerd is "We're lost." How will your enemies perceive this weakness of character? Do you think for a second they wont jump at the oppurtunity to captilize on such an oppertunity? We must maintan a strong position. We must maintan the high ground morally, personally, socialy, politically, and physically.
The lives and liberties of not just yourself are at risk, but the lives and liberties of your loved ones, your countrymen, and the peoples of the world.
Is this how we should conduct ourselves? Or should we sit by and cry about "How they are taking our rights away"? If you see a problem then do your best to fix it. Don't stand there while the ship is sinking with your thumb up your ass when you should be paleing water. Go out there and be the change you seek in others. Take every oppurtunity you can too make a better tomorrow. Take the fight to the enemy in our courtrooms, in our city streets, in ourselves.
Sometimes fighting a good fight isn't always having to take physical action. You can't stamp out human weakness like greed, fear, and hatred with bullets. You do it with ideologies of the mind, heart, and soul.
At the end of the day ask yourself "Which course of action best contributes to my cause? Did I achieve my desired outcome? If not then how do I accomplish that goal? If I did accomplish my goal how can I do it better next time? Whih reaps the bset result? Positive or negative attitude?"
Guess thats all I have to say. Apologies for the long post.

The preceding comments by you all is very well written and expresses the thoughts and concerns of many. Well said by all and I can put myself in each and erveryone of your thoughts and concerns. Thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: athhud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I long for the day when reality bitch slaps my generation.</div></div>

You and I seem to be in the same generation, and I often think the EXACT same thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oughtsix</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: athhud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I long for the day when reality bitch slaps my generation.</div></div>

You and I seem to be in the same generation, and I often think the EXACT same thing. </div></div>

I too think the same thing. I try and raise my kids to be strong, independent thinkers who won't be a burden on the country, and to be ready to step up when the bitch slap comes. Basically raise them to be part of the solution rather than the problem because I fear our generation is lost except for a small minority.

I am glad that my son and daughter enjoy going to the range with me. My 8 yo shoots the same Cricket .22 that I had when I was a little one. My oldest son is constantly asking me to take him and his friend to the range. They play video games, but given a choice of the range or tv at least right now they want to go to the range with dad.

We are still a young country; we should not assume that we can someohow escape history.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are still a young country; we should not assume that we can someohow escape history. </div></div>

I couldn't agree more Graham!!! When one looks at history and sees that the larger powers and/or governments have all undergone some sort of "reset" between 200 and 250 years we should take notice. What makes anyone think we are any different than those before us?

Where I live in rural NC gun culture is not much different than 50 years ago. The vast majority of kids I am in contact with hunt and shoot. A new shotgun or rifle was a very common Christmas gift. I think it is very much based on locale. You take any rural area of the US and I expect it is much like where I live. You take a look in the local restaurant on opening days of deer and rabbit seasons and you will see lots of kids. Our Hunter Safety classes are always full of kids and the 2 local high schools have very active and successful shooting teams. I think in general rural folks have not lost near as much touch with reality as urban areas. I feel it shrinking though....just a 45 minute drive away to Cary or Raleigh and I wonder where the hell those people were made.

I remember wondering when I was younger about how things could continue the way they were. Everything just keeps progressing. Bigger ,faster, more.

Where does it come from? Why don't things just stay the price they were. Is there really a point to inflation? It's just a vicious circle. People get excited to see a cost of living pay increase, but do you really believe your employer isn't passing along those costs to its customers and likely you?

It just felt wrong then. Even though I was young and unable to really grasp the economics of it, I guess I was right.

If you pass the buck around long enough, eventually it wears thin and there's nothing left.

Without question, someone is going to be left holding an empty bag. The questions become who, and when.

I don't want to live my life paranoid of what may become, but I am certainly concerned.

Great thread Guys.
Lets keep teaching our kids and trying to educate others as best and kindly as we can. I am trying to invite people to come and shoot and see how fun it is. We and our kids are our only hope.

I'm a year or so out of college. My generation is filled with misled kids that don't get to form their own opinions anymore. They're told by teachers, twitter and professors what they need to believe and any attempt at individualism is shunned, failed and ostracized.

Though, there is light at the end of the tunnel. My fist week at college I bought a Enfield No4 Mk1. That thing went everywhere with me and I taught a great deal of people about safety, how to shoot and why firearms belong in our society in the hands of responsible citizens. I had MANY converts. Also, being a history minor/major-ish I showed them the "US PROPERTY" stamp on the side of the receiver and explained about how times were then. Which always leads me to talk about individualism and taking care of yourself. Tom Brands, a wrestling coach at Virginia Tech and Iowa, put it best "You only deserve what you earn."

The continuation of firearms enthusiasts is up to my generation. We have to teach those around us. But most teaching isn't done actively, it's done passively. Hold yourself to high standards, don't settle for second best. Stick to your values, and don't compromise because it's 'cool' or what everyone else thinks. We need to show others in our generation what it is to be an individual, what it is to be a man and what it is to earn something. Being responsible, and taking care of business speaks volumes to others. If you do all that, and invite them to shoot, they'll be more receptive to what you do because you are a kickass individual. But have humility.

Great thread fellows, I do wonder what will happen to the firearm culture through the rest of my life. I for one want it to grow. It starts with us, the young, we are put into the best situation to speak with our peers about these things. We need to be superb representatives of the firearm culture and educate those around us.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aur0ra145</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a year or so out of college. My generation is filled with misled kids that don't get to form their own opinions anymore. They're told by teachers, twitter and professors what they need to believe and any attempt at individualism is shunned, failed and ostracized.

Though, there is light at the end of the tunnel. My fist week at college I bought a Enfield No4 Mk1. That thing went everywhere with me and I taught a great deal of people about safety, how to shoot and why firearms belong in our society in the hands of responsible citizens. I had MANY converts. Also, being a history minor/major-ish I showed them the "US PROPERTY" stamp on the side of the receiver and explained about how times were then. Which always leads me to talk about individualism and taking care of yourself. Tom Brands, a wrestling coach at Virginia Tech and Iowa, put it best "You only deserve what you earn."

The continuation of firearms enthusiasts is up to my generation. We have to teach those around us. But most teaching isn't done actively, it's done passively. Hold yourself to high standards, don't settle for second best. Stick to your values, and don't compromise because it's 'cool' or what everyone else thinks. We need to show others in our generation what it is to be an individual, what it is to be a man and what it is to earn something. Being responsible, and taking care of business speaks volumes to others. If you do all that, and invite them to shoot, they'll be more receptive to what you do because you are a kickass individual. But have humility.

Great thread fellows, I do wonder what will happen to the firearm culture through the rest of my life. I for one want it to grow. It starts with us, the young, we are put into the best situation to speak with our peers about these things. We need to be superb representatives of the firearm culture and educate those around us. </div></div>

I am a professor in California. You could imagine just by my location and vocation that I would be a liberal and pro gun control. Fact of the matter I am not a liberal in most ways. But I have formed my own thoughts and belief system. have many students who are young individuals who are forming their own believes on what life should look like. They are free thinkers. And you sir along with them are our future. You may possibly be one of the most important generation as you will have to shoulder the future of the country and our world in general. Never in history have so many issues become so dire. The environment, the economy, and lastly our rights as Americans.
I remember those days fondly when my grandfather would take me out to his ranch and we would pinkle with a 22. Those were my favorite days when visiting Montana. A few vile individuals have taken those fond memories for many of us and skewed them into now what is considered an unpopular and unnecessary hobby. Times have changed, more responsibility is needed now on behalf of all gun owners if our lifestyle is to prevail. We can't let a few ruin it for all of us.

The gun is not the problem it is merely a tool. We need to insist that our government and every parent take a hard look at the media its self. Violence in film and especially in video games. You can't tell me that playing video games where you get points to kill other players is healthy for a formative mind, it's not! Lastly parents need to take responsibility, lock their guns up, hide the key. There needs to be training and awareness. Does this happen in Switzerland where nearly every male between eighteen and fifty have an assault rifle in their closets, no! That is because they do not indulge in angry media and violent video games. As well mental health is dealt with there. We need to look at the real issues, when we do we will find the real problems and hopefully be able to find a better solution.

The rifle and the concept of freedom that it represents is paramount to our culture, we can't afford to loose any part or permeation of it.

I think there is something to be said about forming your own opinions, and having the ability to make decisions in both your personal and professional life.

Corporate America does not want its employees making decisions. It's too hard for the accountants and insurance companies to predict what the outcome will be. Instead the have a policy in place for nearly every contingency. A procedure that must be followed for every action taken throughout the day.

It's the dumbing down of America and its fueled by corporate greed. It's two fold in the respect that an entire generation of citizens is being brainwashed to believe that being told what to do is acceptable.

Add a financial squeeze to this equation and you've got the majority of the country backed into a corner. Take away the middle class and now the divide is clear as can be. No longer can the lower class aspire to take a step up into middle America and better themselves and their families. No longer does the upper class have the middle to carry the tax burden. You are left with the people who are told what to do, and the people who tell them what to do. And they despise each other. The rich feel like they shouldn't have to pay taxes for the poor and the poor feel like the rich have too much.

What happens in this situation? Government wins and the workforce loses. Workers become unmotivated and replaceable. You don't want to follow protocol? You're out and the next one is in. Laws and rights be damned, you are a number and only that.

I've fallen on hard times in the past couple years and I've lived this scenario personally. If you don't like the working conditions, then your option is to go home and starve.

To add to the problem, all too often the lower class does not participate in government. Look at the numbers. Compare the percentage of voting households above and below $100k.

The top half of the population is driving away with the country and the bottom half is watching it go.

The power shift is a parabolic curve, like spilling out a glass of water. Soon enough Republican and Democratic will be replaced by White collar and Blue collar.

This time they just won't use the word "slave" so it sounds more humane.

I'm sure things are different in Michigan, but around here the lower class is very involved in elections. Hell, they vote 3 and 4 times each!