• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The "General Purpose" rifle idea

cliffy110

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2020
I've been reluctant to post this content here because I know this can be a tough room. I'm going to give it a go because Frank's podcast today touched on a number of things that really mesh with what I've been working on for the past year. I was a scout rifle guy. A hard core one. I've taken several scout/practical rifle classes and became one of the more visible members of the scout rifle community. I've done a lot of work promoting the concept, working out techniques (particularly with the sling), and exploring what is right and wrong with the scout scope. I became well known in that niche community.

I then started exploring how to take the benefits of the scout and see just how far I could push the ranges. That led me to the long range community where I discovered that y'all don't speak the same language as the practical rifle community. Once I sorted that out, I set out to figure out how to set up a rifle that would be nearly as handy as a scout but would have the capability to reach out to 1000 yards with some degree of regularity.

For lack of a better term, it is a general purpose rifle. It is one that can fight, hunt almost anything in any situation and fill a long range role, all in one rifle.

I documented all of this in several videos that I'll link to in a bit but first, it also captured the attention of Michael Bane. If you're unfamiliar with Michael, he is a VERY prolific gun writer, outdoor TV producer and general mover in the firearms industry. Michael devoted one of his podcasts and an episode of Triggered to this concept and discussed my work on it specifically. Here is that show:

Before we go on to my videos, keep in mind that the audience for this is NOT the long range community. It is the practical/scout rifle guys who are looking to do more with the rifle. My goal was to take a common, light weight hunting rifle and push it out to long range without sacrificing the handiness of the short range stuff.

My latest video includes 4 drills to illustrate exactly what one can expect of this ideal; Fighting/defensive use, practical hunting and long range all in one package:

Here's a comprehensive video on what the concept is what is meant by general purpose:

How to set up a rifle with the elements from the previous video:

Both Frank and Chris Way have been talking about this mix of skills and expectations for what they call a hunting rifle and it lines up closely with what I've been working on. The thing that I think they are missing is that they are still talking about fairly heavy rifles. Frank was talking about 12-16 pound guns as if that was light weight. That is light for a precision rifle but not for something you're going to be carrying into the field. It isn't something you could use for a snap shot at 40 yards or something you'd have at the ready for a 200 yard shot while traipsing around the edge of a woodlot.

Bottom line though is that I'm very glad to see that people like Frank and Chris are now looking at expanding into this world of more practical rifles and practical rifle use. I hope it spurs a shift in the industry to look more at the GP rifle idea. It is easy to specialize. It is much harder to generalize.

Reactions: diverdon
It sounds like a gun every one needs. But, it will be a heck of a battle proving there is enough of a market at a price it can be profitablely built.

I would prefer mine I 6.5 or 6.0. If you're that hung up on 308 at least offer a .243.

It sounds like a gun every one needs. But, it will be a heck of a battle proving there is enough of a market at a price it can be profitablely built.

I would prefer mine I 6.5 or 6.0. If you're that hung up on 308 at least offer a .243.
Nothing wrong with any of those cartridges. I’m not so hung up on 308 for the concept but for me, I already have so much 308 ammo that it made the most sense for me. I like the 6.5 a lot. The 6/243 isn’ta bad choice but perhaps a bit light for bigger western game.