• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Good 'Ole Days when loading ammo was cheaper.

Casey Simpson

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2008
Louisiana
How many remember these days? Loading ammo tonight - went through these primers, and thought some would enjoy seeing this for the first time, and some for the second time. Incidentally, they shoot just fine.

14bswth.jpg

Re: The Good 'Ole Days when loading ammo was cheaper.

Back in the 50's i use to pay .50 for a box of Remington 22's and 12 guage peters #6 shot was about $1.75-2.00 down at the store. Ye old hunter was selling m1's for $99.99, carbines for $59.99 and Lee Enfields for $29.99. The sniper model in the wood case brand new with matching scope #'s were $99.99 and a 20MM Lody was $99.99 and they had plenty of cheap ammo. MM

Yeah I remember when you can get primers for $.99, now their $3 bucks or better.

But again, I can aford the $3 primers now easier then I could the $.99 primers back then.

I am not too old but I have been reloading for many years. I ran accross some 200gr SMKs marked 16.99 and that was only from 1998. I have some boxes of Hornady bullets marked $8 a box.
I need to go through my loading room and find some golden oldies to take pics and post.

Last fall, I loaded up the last of my Dry Creek Bullet Works stash, and found a receipt from 2004ish. The listed prices made me weep a bit...

Then too, there's all the things which just aren't available anymore, either.

I'll put up a few pics, shortly.

When I started reloading, I was makeing $4 a day mowing grass and had money to buy guns and reloading stuff, I just had to save it up a little.

I see old people... lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Then too, there's all the things which just aren't available anymore, either.

I'll put up a few pics, shortly. </div></div>

Bring back the old Nosler solid base, and the Barnes line of Original lead core copper jacket bullets! Barnes made a 70gr .224 Original spitzer that was deadly on deer in a fast twist barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see old people... lol </div></div>
easy buddy,
smile.gif
I remember those days too when pulled 5,56 were $25/1000, primers at $60 for 5,000 and surplus powder at $32/8lbs jug.
ho well

I just found some boxes of Sierra 180 Match King HP sealed with a price tag of $13.95. Have 6 boxes that i picked up 25-39 years ago. I have no idea what they sell for now. MM

Shit the "not so old days" were just as good....

I remember picking up my Hirtenberger 7.62/308 and rolling the pallet onto a safe trailer. I bought that ammo for $54 a case!!!
I am watching 200rd battle-packs selling for north of $125ea.

Who remembers Federal .45acp red box bulk in the 80's??? I bought a customs auction lot in Marathon, FL for $300...probably had over 20,000rds.

I wont even go into the 7.62x39 ammo lots that rolled ashore in the early 90's....Norinco steelcore at $50cs.

The sad part is when I sit down with my son in a few years I will look back to 2012 and tell him about the "the good ole' days".

Its cheaper today than it will be tomorrow....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are not more money. Your money is just worth less these days. </div></div>

BINGO! Give this man a cigar.

I started reloading in '06 or so, and I was paying $15-17 a thou then!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see old people... lol</div></div>
that just cracked me up...
Reminds me of stories where my grandpa walked 8 miles to school with barefeet in the snow....
Ammo prices and supplies all have gone up...
Thank GOD at least I can afford some of it now.
Still would love to have more, but food and supplies must come first.
Don't think 2000 zombies are going to show up on my door anytime soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: znztiv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Don't think 2000 zombies are going to show up on my door anytime soon. </div></div>

You live in CA, they don't have to show up at your door, they have their cut of your life taken out of your paycheck every week.

Probably from 1991 when I started reloading in college:

primer_price.jpg

Seem to remember they were $1 box for a while, maybe these came later. As you can see, I don't use a lot of magnum rifle primers as this box is still on my loading bench.