• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing The Hamilton Rifle #27

scout67

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2008
Bonham, TX
This is an old single shot 22 rifle made in the early 1900's.I know this is not a sniper rifle but I have this old gun and I wondering if it can be repaired to shot again. It has a brass lined bore and the chamber area is worn out. Is it possible to repair the barrel or is best just to keep for a wall hanger? I realize it probably not worth repairing but I am curious.

Re: The Hamilton Rifle #27

I would wallhanger it but it can be drilled and rechambered. I think Shumaker in Stephenville TX offeres this service. I have an Old 1873 Winny that I love to shoot and thought about having a new liner installed in the barrel to pick up some of the accuracy and still keed the original outer barrel.

I appreciate the info. I will check with him to see if this is worth messing with. I am a machinist myself and thought about boring out the chamber and pressing in a sleave and boring to size. But I was afraid this was a bad idea. Probably is a bad idea for me to do it for sure. I am sure resleaving the whole barrel would be better. I wonder if I would get a discount since it is so short.

lol
I think short or long the machine setup and time are gonna be very similar so I doubt it.

The barrel on some of the hamilton rifles were brass lined but around that was rolled up sheet metal. ( imagine rolling a pencil up in a sheet of paper) so drilling it out really isn't an option. I'd just make a replica barrel and short chamber it for .22 colibri or 6mm flobert if you really want to shoot it. Otherwise they look really good over the fireplace.