• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The last big decision...

FootSoldier

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 29, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona
So here's my dilemma.

I've only been loading and shooting precision bolt rifles for about a year and a half. My first real effort has been with a FNH SPR A1 .308 that I have been shooting for the last year now and have put 3500 rounds through.

For the last 7 months I have been gathering parts and pieces for a new rifle build. Marty says my action will ship this coming week, so now I will be packaging everything up to send off to GAP for assembly.

The specs are:
AICS 1.5 S/A
BO M2008 S/A standard bolt face
24" Bartlien with BO FTE brake
Huber Concepts 2 stage trigger
USO 3.2-17 Tpal

The dilemma is what caliber to chamber this rifle for? I just recently made my first foray out to 1000 yards shooting on steel. I loved it and want to contiue to chase tactical/practical type precision rifle shooting out to the 1000 yard area. (I sent 12 rounds from 1006 yards and hit a 25x17" steel plate 5 times, and nearly had a woody!)

My intent was to build this rifle in .308 as well. Shooting 155 Scenars at 2800 fps seems to do everything I will ever be capable of and I don't see me doing competive shooting, but I'd love to get some technical training.

I chose the .308 for a couple reasons;

1) low recoil, I can shoot it 50-60 rounds a couple times a week and still be at my best.
2) ease of reloading, I will be able to keep a streamline loading process. One type brass, bullets, primers, powder all on one press.
3) barrel life, I don't want to have to get this rifle re-barreled once a year.

I have become intrigued by the 7mmWSM, but don't want to deal with the recoil. I have similarly been interested in the 6.5mm class (.260Rem & 6.5CM) but shy away for the above reasons.

90% of my shooting will be at distances less than 800 yards and I'm too old, beat up, and unskilled enough to be running around the countryside trying to outshoot real rifleman, so I'll just play on my steel targets.

Am I missing anything here? I want to get this build right and need to choose well. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve

Re: The last big decision...

7WSM with a good brake recoils like a .308 without a brake. You could also go 7/08 IMP and shoot 162 A-Max's

FootSoldier,
You would be happy with the 308, but I would also look at the 260 Rem.
If you have put 3500 rds down the barrel in 1 year, the 308 would probably last you about 1 1/2 - 2 years before a rebarrel. The 260 Rem would last you 1-1 1/2 years. But the 260 Rem would be more forgiving on your wind reads, and you might be more successful hitting steel at your longer distances. I think you would enjoy shooting a 6.5 caliber.

FS, have GAP build your BO into a switch barrel using 308 and and/or 6.5x47 Lapua/260 Rem. You have one trigger 2 barrels. Best of both worlds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FS, have GAP build your BO into a switch barrel using 308 and and/or 6.5x47 Lapua/260 Rem. You have one trigger 2 barrels. Best of both worlds.</div></div>

+1....sure would be easy to have a switch barrel built on this one using any one of the 3 calibers listed above. They all have the same bolt face and use the same magazines.

If not, I would go .308. You can always have another barrel set up later. I believe GAP keeps your action specs on file so you wouldn't need to do anything other than make a phone call.

1. 308 because of availability of ammo, and overall a classic round
2. 243 win. Great round to get to 1k fast. If so, I would ask George to get it throated for the 115 grains bullets. Less drop than 308 at 1K.
3. 7 mm wsm is a great round and I am thinking about it for my next stick. but compare to life of barrel is not going to be as good as the 308 for sure and may be the 243 win, depending on how hot you are going to push it.

Good luck.

Ok my $.02 would be .284 Win brass is available you get the performance of 7mm bullets with less recoil than the .308 as well as barrel life

My 02 cents worth

Switch barrel....definitely a great option. I have been contemplating the vey same idea for the 6.5 family.

I am a big 6.5 guy but from the info you gave above....I would say the 308 would fit your bill. You have already seen what they can do, they have moderate recoil, lots of available reloading supplies....locally in my world and many others. Thats not so easy with the 6.5 alternatives but they are usually available on the net. The 6.5 variants are a little faster, a little flatter and in most instances have less recoil...not much but less. I have not personally had round counts on the 6.5 family that even come close to the 308 but they are really accurate chamberings and a blast to shoot. At the end of the day, choose what you know and feel comfortale with. I personally have several of the 6.5 variants but will never be without a 308...just something about them. You will not be dissappointed in anything that has been listed above.......

Hope your build shoots straight and wish you the best of luck in whatever you build...

I am really leaning toward the .308 for the initial build and then have GAP do another barrel chambered in an alternative caliber, after shooting the new .308 for a while.

Kind of a future switch barrel plan. That would let me continue training, shooting and loading until I developed a real strong feeling for going with another chambering.

I like the idea of setting this up with the GAP guys ahead of time, so I can just call and order a barrel. Buy the necessary tools and spin it on myself.

I guess that's the benefit to going with the AICS/M2008 setup?

Thanks for the comments and thoughts.

Steve