• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The loner 5th....

Target In Sight

Where my shots go?!?!?!
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2009
Cali
Went to the range last friday to sight in the gun and test the rifle out. This is the first range trip after I got her back from R+D. Randy did an awesome work!!

After sighted in @100yd, I did my first group on a shoot N' see, and first 3 were overlapping each other, the 4th one wasn't too bad either about 1" ETE overall. Now, the moment has come, again, seeing the 4shots cuddling nicely together, the mental game had begun, again...... Put this 5th one in there and it will be a job well done, I told myself. Before I know it, muscles tensed up, breathing was all messed up.....and that "loner 5th" decided to stay away from the group. I knew what my body was acting, and confirmed it the second I pulled that trigger.
cry.gif

CIMG1821.jpg

After this group, Supersubes helped me verify the velocity of my ammo, then I was confirming my ballistic software readings, and my NF. Shooting 600, dialed down to 400, 300, then up to 500. Let's just say I have got my basics covered.
laugh.gif

I have 100% trust on my rifle, scope, and DOPE chart. The only loose nut is----me.

I was gonna shoot the Dot Target, but by then my shoulder was saying no, so I thought I don't waste much ammo.

Another thing I am happy to report is that after practicing the "straight behind the rifle", "loading the bipod", and "trigger control" that I learned from the online training, I can actually see my bullet flight & POI when I hit 300yds for the first time. I don't know how others have reported they can see at 200yd, or even 100yd. To me, thats something hopefully to find out after another 2000+ dry fires + xxx rounds ammo practice, or maybe more.

Sorry for the long post, just very excited!!
PS. SIGN ON THE ONLINE TRAINING!! its the best deal I have ever got myself into!!

Most kindly regards,

Dyl..

Re: The loner 5th....

Good to see you and Supersubes making some more range trips. I wish I could be there. SS knows quite a bit about reloading too and can surely help those groups shrink even more. Plus, I have yet to hear of Randy putting out a rifle that wouldn't do great things.

Keep practicing and keep shooting. Looking good though D.

sorry Jacob,

I know you have told me not to shoot group, the first 4 was only meant to test the gun after sight in, and the "fridge group effect" grow on me again. So I thought I post it as an example why NOT to shoot groups.

Next trip will be the Dot Drill, and thats before another few hundreds of dry firing practice.

Thank you for everything you have tought, Jacob and LL. Not to sound like a suck up, but this online training thing has been done so well, I just can't keep my mouth shut....

Thanks Jon,

Wish to hang out with you more too, you have got to give me a call when you get a chance to come back to LA.

We need to go party besides shooting too, perhaps some asian club? let the Mc fever spread~~ (more contributions to the photo threads
whistle.gif
)

IMHO, fridge group issues aside, the 'loner 5th' is not a bad thing, but rather, it's a reality check.

The real world includes our foibles and failures, and judging from how your shooting looks, when you're working at it, warts, flyers, and all; it's plenty good enough to ensure you're gonna "Git 'er done".

Life is not a Benchrest group. It's what you do, and like it or not, perfection isn't a part of that reality.

We do ourselves an injustice when we demand such things of ourselves. It instills a sense of inferiority, of failure, when in point of fact, even on our bad days, we're a damned sight better than most all of the rest. We are because we do our best. We don't settle, we strive.

For me, perfection is an afterthought. Interesting in its own light, but not an attainable and realistic goal. Goals need to be attainable.

The reality is damned good, all by itself, and perfection is something that humans don't do. Striving for perfection is not realistic, striving for improvement is; because that is always attainable, and always satisfactory at all levels. Perfection is neither, and even if attained, is simply a letdown when one realizes that the moment is past, and not likely to recur.

Too much luck in that mix, IMHO.

Greg

Thank you Sir.,

You have pointed out exactly the fact I often overlooked. Jacob reminded me once not to shoot for groups, I think he meant the same thing. Shooting groups makes me aiming for as close to perfection as possible, and with that taken most of thinking in my brain and the drive in my heart, it impaired my concentration on training for improvement.

I haven't been shooting groups for a while, and mostly practicing the FOM. I made first 3 shots just to test the gun after gun smith's great work on it. Before I knew it, I was striking for tight groups just because the first 3 looked so good. However, rifle's ability aside, I am certain it was also the practice of the online training that brought me to that first 3 shot group. It is also because of not enough consistency (more practice) that lead me to miss that 5th shot.

Hard work in training is paying off unknowingly. I saw the new lessons about pulling the bad shot, alternate position shooting, etc., Im not even worrying about those yet, I am still striving to improve on how to consistently making a good shot first.

Again, thanks for your kind words, always gives me lots to think about.

Respectfully,

Dyl..