• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report The Lot Lizard *Range Report*!!!

JRose

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2007
Back in BHam!!!
Took the 6.5 Creedmoor out for the first time today, the rifles an absolute hammer...

The Badger action is smooth as butta, and the thing performs flawlessly, as expected... The groups aren't stellar, but I think they reflect well on what the rifle will do. I messed with it last, and had been shooting for 4 hours doing load development for other rifles prior.

I think next time out, I'll be able to sit down behind her and produce sub .5 MOA groups consistently.

Crappy cell phone pics b/c I forgot my camera...

0623091202.jpg

0623091201.jpg

0623091242.jpg

0623091243.jpg

Here's some targets

This was the first shots fired... The first two were sighting in the scope, then a 4 shot group of what was left in the mag.

DSC_0400-1.jpg

This was the the first 5 shot group I shot

DSC_0399-1.jpg

Next 5 shot group with 2 "flyers".... I need to check my form, b/c throughout the day, my "flyers" were consistently hitting to the right. Doubt it's a coincidence...

DSC_0398-1.jpg

3rd 5 shot group in the middle, and a 10 shot group next to it. All 15 shots fired in succession, only stopping between the 5 and 10 shot string long enough to load the mag.

DSC_0401-1.jpg

I love the new rifle, only thing I'm dissapointed with is the velocity (Avg. 2640 fps). I didn't think the 25" barrel would slow it down that much, but oh well.

I think GAP built me a winner here, we'll see how she does at HardRock this weekend!

Re: The Lot Lizard *Range Report*!!!

Wow surprised the velocity dropped that much in 3" from my 28" barrel. I get about 2810fps. I can't believe it would drop that much from 3" as Tony's barrel is a 26", I believe, and he is getting around 2790fps. We have Kreiger barrels on our. What barrel you have?

Don't worry though as you can handload and bump that up some if you wanted to.

Not bad looking groups though for a new rifle and factory ammo.

Congrats.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow surprised the velocity dropped that much in 3" from my 28" barrel. I get about 2810fps. I can't believe it would drop that much from 3" as Tony's barrel is a 26", I believe, and he is getting around 2790fps. We have Kreiger barrels on our. What barrel you have?

Don't worry though as you can handload and bump that up some if you wanted to.

Not bad looking groups though for a new rifle and factory ammo.

Congrats. </div></div>

Maybe I just got a slow lot.... I'll burn through it and heat it up some.

It's a Bartlein barrel.

I'm extremely pleased with the whole set up, I love the AI chassis' (even though I think they're butt ugly), and the BO action has exceeded my expectations. It's my first custom action, and I already want to swap out my Remmy action on my GAP .243 when it's time for a new barrel.

Velocity is as much a product of bore friction as of bore length. Diameters, fouling, and bore finish are significant factors that weigh in on the velocity issue. We all learned this when moly came onto the scene.

Greg

Why speed up your handloads if these factory jobs are going less than half-MOA *when you do your part*?

If you're at 500 ASL, those things will still be doing Mach 1.193 at a thousand yards at 85 F and 50% humidity.

Why wear out your barrel faster if that one WORKS??? Keep your reloads a clone of the factory jobs. Simplify life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why speed up your handloads if these factory jobs are going less than half-MOA *when you do your part*?

If you're at 500 ASL, those things will still be doing Mach 1.193 at a thousand yards at 85 F and 50% humidity.

Why wear out your barrel faster if that one WORKS??? Keep your reloads a clone of the factory jobs. Simplify life. </div></div>

B/C if I don't want a 140gr bullet moving at the speed of a 180gr .308 bullet. I shot them both out to 1k this weekend, and was holding about the same wind as my .308 launching 185 grainers...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why speed up your handloads if these factory jobs are going less than half-MOA *when you do your part*?

Why wear out your barrel faster if that one WORKS??? Keep your reloads a clone of the factory jobs. Simplify life. </div></div>

B/C if I don't want a 140gr bullet moving at the speed of a 180gr .308 bullet. I shot them both out to 1k this weekend, and was holding about the same wind as my .308 launching 185 grainers... </div></div>
Koo.

You gots your reasons and they make sense. There's good, more than good enough, and BETTER than your other option.

Nice groups. I can't wait for my GAP to ship.

It looks like you could have both your rings a little farther apart. Any reason to keep them together? I set my rigs up with them as far as possible apart.

-dan

Naw, it's just a loaner scope until my SN3 gets built, so I just threw it on. Actually pulling it Monday when I get home.