• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The low down on Wolf ammo

shooter65

General
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Jun 19, 2004
    Indiana
    "They are essentially the same cartridge, except that our Match Extra
    contains lot numbers that have all been tested and shown to shoot the most
    accurate, where as the Match Target contains lot numbers that may or may not
    have been tested, so there's a chance they may not be as accurate.

The factory is tight lipped on the selection process, but we'll give you
    what we know.

The .22 ammo is made in lots of 50,000. From the lot ammo 50 rounds are
    fired and the 50 round group is recorded including all flyers. If that lot
    passes their desired grouping (this is unknown to us) it then goes to be
    tested into another weapon. If it passes the 2nd grouping requirements then
    it is Match Extra.

If the ammo fails the first step it is not Match Target but rather something
    called "Magazine" the loose packed ammo. All ammo has to pass the first
    grouping to be called Match Target. If the ammo passes the first grouping
    but does not meet the 2nd grouping requirements then it is Match Target.

So for competition I would go with our Match Extra. For recreational
    shooting Match Target will work just fine. I hope this helps explain the
    differences."

Sincerely,

WOLF Ammunition

Re: The low down on Wolf ammo

Thanks for that piece of info. I always kinda wondered.

I made the mistake of going into a place called the Gun Room here in Portland and asking for Wolf ammo the other day.

I should have known I was asking to be lectured by the things I've heard these guys say about Kimbers, Glocks, pretty much anything that isn't made by Colt.

I got a pretty good long speech about how Wolf ammo is made by the Russians who have been trying to kill us since before I was born and how it's the most innacurate and filthy ammo on the market.

I'm a firm believer in supporting local business. I'd buy guns and ammo at a local shop before going to a big box store any day, but not if I have to keep dealing with these ultra paranoid libertarian nut jobs.

(Oh and just to make it better, he tried to sell me Remington bulk which IS one of the least accurate that I've tested)

For the money you can't beat Match Target in most guns, at under $4 a box in most of the guns I've ran it with it shoots very very close to eley and lapua at $15 a box.

I haven't tried the match extra but if it's even better than match target, it probably runs right with eley tenex and laupa midas at half the cost or less. For me I've always been so impressed with the match target for the price I've never seen the need to spend more on the match extra.

The bottom line though is you still need to test them, for some reason some .22's like the oddest ammo. I've seen 22's that would run better groups with cheap HP ammo than some match ammo. In general though, wolf match target is the best deal going for price and performance. If I was shooting a 54 in competitions I'd probalby be using midas or tenex but at 1/4 of the price per box I'll run match target and smile about it all day.

My 40X shoots Match Target better than it does Eley Tenex.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Josh_Danger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    I got a pretty good long speech about how Wolf ammo is made by the Russians who have been trying to kill us since before I was born and how it's the most innacurate and filthy ammo on the market.
    </div></div>

Next time inform them that the Wolf 22lr is made in Germany.

Sk does make Wolf 22lr ammo under contract, in Germany. Lapua bought out SK, thus makes SK, Wolf and Lapua.

Oddly, a number of individuals have experienced better results with Wolf Match Target than with Wolf Match Extra. When I ran 18 different .22LR ammo's through my BTVS, the Wolf MT produced clearly superior groups.

it is weird, ME usually works better in match rifles but Brian Voelker's reamer setup to his specs makes MT or standard+ from SK shoot tiny groups.

Wolf MT /SK Standard plus has always shot well in my rifles. SK Match and Wolf ME has been not so stellar........go figure.

I asked Lapua Gmbh this a while back (2/5/09):
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Is the Lapua line of rimfire ammunition made in the same facilities as SK and Wolf rimfire ammunitions?
    I ask as both brands have cases marked Lapua Gmbh...
    </div></div>

and got this email response:
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Mr. Eacret,

Yes</div></div>

My 40X and 52D like Wolf MT, SK Standard +, SK Match and Wolf ME in that order. Here lately I'm thinking the new SK Standard + is better than Wolf MT so I'm going to have a new shoot off soon between them.

WOLF ammo of any kind is not allowed at my local public range for some reason? I'll have to inquire why sometime.

Likely because most has stell guilded flash plated jackets.........
    Or, they collect brass, and sell it bulk, and do not want to mess w/ separating Steel casings.

I ran Brown Bear through my AR this weekend, adn made a nice 3/4" group at 100M with it. It was also hitting right around that same 3/4 MOA at 200M as well. Was testing the JPJ1 reticle on it for kicks.
    16"bbl was tossing them out at 2824fps(Average)

Sir
    I shoot WOlf Math in both a prone smallbore rifle and a .22 upper on an AR15 it shoots very well for me. Given that you can occasionally find it at $2.50 or so on sale per box - it is a great value

I stopped trying to find ammo on sale... now I'm just trying to find ammo period.

I can't seem to find any Wolf, Federal, or CCI .22 ammo around here lately.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOLF ammo of any kind is not allowed at my local public range for some reason? I'll have to inquire why sometime. </div></div>

Talk to (educate the RO's) that Wolf Rimfire is not to be mixed in with the Wolf centerfire stuff.
    Wolf rimfire is brass cased lubed lead match ammo that is on par (for what it does to target stands and leaves on the ground) with any of the match rimfire manufacturers..............

Wouldn't worry about the Green Tag, it's junk.

Stay with the 711B or Wolf, or SK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Josh_Danger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I stopped trying to find ammo on sale... now I'm just trying to find ammo period.

I can't seem to find any Wolf, Federal, or CCI .22 ammo around here lately. </div></div>

Champions Choice has Wolf MT @ $45/brick. They als have Lapua Midas M @ $104/ brick.

So $4.50 a 50 round box. Nearly double what was quoted above. I have not seen Wolf MT for less than $3.80 a box since before Christmas.

I've checked lots of suppliers, and this was the cheapest in stock. Prices have increased up to $6.50/box. I used to get it a couple of years ago for $13/brick. Of course, I can remember when a short bottle Coca-Cola was a nickel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: juniorARshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sir
    I shoot WOlf Math in both a prone smallbore rifle and a .22 upper on an AR15 it shoots very well for me. Given that you can occasionally find it at $2.50 or so on sale per box - it is a great value </div></div>

When was the last time you saw either Match or Match Extra for $2.50 per box and where?

Shoot it to me in a PM so I can get it all before these vultures.
    grin.gif

Must have been a year or so ago, cause I sure can't find it for that kind of money today, hell dealer cost is $4.09 a box for MT and $5.83 a box for ME.

Scott

I've got one brick of match target that shoots great. The other brick doesn't shoot so good and it is supesonic out of a 16" barrel. WTF.

Last year I paid $2.50 a box for MT and now it is $5.00 a box here.
    Glad I got several bricks last year.

Myself and others have found that Wolf MT produces tighter groups but more flyers. Wolf EX produces slightly larger groups with much fewer flyers. This is why you hear a lot of people say Match Target groups better for less money.

When it comes to competition the MT flyers will absolutely kill your scores where consistency is a must. Wolf MT is perfect for practice where you can compensate your scores by negating the flyers.

Wolf MT is $65/brick and ME $85/brick at my local gun shop. I just hate the greasy lube on the bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Josh_Danger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I made the mistake of going into a place called the Gun Room here in Portland and asking for Wolf ammo the other day.

I should have known I was asking to be lectured by the things I've heard these guys say about Kimbers, Glocks, pretty much anything that isn't made by Colt.

I'm a firm believer in supporting local business. I'd buy guns and ammo at a local shop before going to a big box store any day, but not if I have to keep dealing with these ultra paranoid libertarian nut jobs.

(Oh and just to make it better, he tried to sell me Remington bulk which IS one of the least accurate that I've tested) </div></div>

Josh,

You need to get your political parties correct. The folks you ran into were right wing Republicans not Libertarians. Libertarians don't want to kill anybody but right wing Republicans. Get it straight!

Cheers/Chip

Sounds good(advice)and ammo shoots good. I only wish you would make a lot more of it.