• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The M1 Garand Salvage Project

Temp9

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2012
SLC, UT
Here's the backstory: My uncle recently lost his home to a forest fire here in Utah. Practically nothing was salvagable and his safes were all that were left. For discretion's sake, I'll simply say I "inherited" the remains of several once-fine rifles. Among them were two M1 Garands, a 1903-A3, and a semi-auto (hopefully) rendition of an FN FAL.

All the stocks had burned right off, so what we found were barreled actions leaning against the side of the safe. The springs need replacing as they seem to have taken their compressed shape from the heat. This thread will focus on an M1 Garand, an Internation Harvester (IHC) with a serial starting with 45xxxxxx. I forgot to take a picture of the before, but here's her sister in the same condition. She's a Springfield Armory with a serial starting with 27xxxxxx. Notice that it's encased in about 1/4" of burned crud.

dsc5940x.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And here's a preview of the IHC with about 2 hours of cleanup with steel wool and a steel wire wheel. As I expected, the springs need to be replaced, I need a new stock, and the barrel may or may not be usable.

dsc5929h.jpg

If there's interest, I'll document the process of junk to gun and update this thread when funds allow me to buy parts. Also, any recommendations on where to buy springs, parts, and maybe a barrel, along with a good smith to install the barrel, would be appreciated.

Re: The M1 Garand Salvage Project

If the fire was hot enough to cause a set to the springs I would have the receiver tested for hardness to make sure it didn't get affected in the fire.

That's something else I was worried about. I was originally planning to fire it with a remote trigger the first 20 rounds or so, but it might be a better idea to check it first. Any idea where I could get this done? If they don't check out, I have a bunch of wall hangers....

Edit: After more research, I'm going to make these into display pieces. I'll have a friend weld the chambers shut for safetly.

Anyone that does industrial heat treat should be able to hardness test your receivers...should be able to find out in the online yellow pages easy enough. Also, check for custom knifemakers in your area as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TGagnon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the fire was hot enough to cause a set to the springs I would have the receiver tested for hardness to make sure it didn't get affected in the fire. </div></div>Agree with this here. I would be worried about the steel being unsafe. Also, how did the barrel come out? Seems to me that it would be warped.
eek.gif

Thanks, guys. The interesting thing is that only the smaller springs seemed to be affected, so I still have a (small) shred of hope for these rifles. I'll try and get the hardness tested next week. How can I find out what the hardness should be?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rcnpthfndr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">check with CMP for barrels and new production stocks.

Stocks http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/stocksets.htm

barrel http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/accessories.htm#NewBarrels

Springs
http://www.fulton-armory.com/springrepairkitincludeshdcliplatchspring.aspxw

whats the plan for the Fal remains?

</div></div>
I have no clue what I'll do with the FAL. I haven't even touched it yet. Depending on the cost for a new stock, it may end up a wall hanger with the rest of them. It may end up sitting in the garage for eternity.... I'm 75% sure none of these are safe to shoot, but I'm still looking for a professional opinion. The internet is full of people saying this and that, but no first hand experiences.

I tore into the 1903 and it seems to be functional. The striker spring feels a tad weak, though. I've got a Ruger M77 in .243 Win that probably got the worst of it. I may load up some test loads to 30-40% over max and see if it holds up. Or I may send it to Ruger for an opinion. I'm still researching and asking around and sitting on my ass contemplating what to do.

Also, the barrels seem to be straight if I look down the bore. I'm not sure how to really measure it, but I can't detect any bends.

Quick update: I emailed James River Armory about these guns, and they suggested I try to cut the receiver with a metal file. If the receiver can be cut, it's too soft. Unfortunately, mine failed the test.
cry.gif

I'll focus my efforts on prettying them up, now.

Those pics are something else. Must have been really hot to burn off the stocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2ndPanzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why not just re heat treat them? </div></div>

Hmm... honestly, I'm not sure. Kind of seems like the natural next step, huh? I guess I figured it would cost too much. I'm usually not this brain-dead, though, I swear! It's worth looking into, thanks. I would be in about $150 per gun with new springs and stocks. If another $100 per each could get me a functioning gun, I'd be all over it.

Edit: A quick search reminds me why I didn't look into it. I keep seeing people say that if the heat treat is ruined, the gun is beyond repair. I still want to look into it more for myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c4xplsv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those pics are something else. Must have been really hot to burn off the stocks.</div></div>

You should've seen the safes. The locksmith estimated 15 minutes per safe, but it ended up taking almost 2 hours per safe. Apparently, some of the internals welded together, and the body of the safe warped enough to bind on the doors. The aluminum dials melted right off the doors. I've never seen a fire like this one before. Amazingly, one of the safes (Liberty?) had a few books that were crispy, but usable and intact. If the guns had been in there, they would still have been practically untouched, aside from the stocks.

if you read any of the custom mauser books, like Kuhnhausen, he specifically mentions re heat treating the recievers after welding or grinding too much on them where you would break the "skin" of the case hardening. Garands weren't forged by magic elves and destroy themselves if they get tempered Just because the parts were tempered and lost hardness doesent mean the steel magically became something thats not steel?? Most of the guns of that era were case hardened really, and have soft cores with a hard skin. You could melonite them and do just about the same thing. Go to just about any machining school and they can heat treat them in an o2 free environment in an induction oven. Its really not that complicated. Just check the demensions thats whats important. I wouldn't think the rifles are destroyed, unless they warped. Worth looking into.

I dug up some blueprints for the Garands. Under heat treat, it says "Normalize before machining. Carburize .012-.018" deep. Heat to 1550-1600*F, oil quench. Temper 1 hour at 400*F." Seems simple enough. I'll try to get in contact with a heat treating/machine shop some time next week. Pricing is probably still a problem. This is for the receiver, but would it be safe to assume I could just have them do the entire barreled action? I would prefer not to have to pull the barrel and and have it heat treated separately.

Interested to see how this turns out. Good luck.

Got pics of the FAL?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c4xplsv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those pics are something else. Must have been really hot to burn off the stocks.</div></div>

You should've seen the safes. The locksmith estimated 15 minutes per safe, but it ended up taking almost 2 hours per safe. Apparently, some of the internals welded together, and the body of the safe warped enough to bind on the doors. The aluminum dials melted right off the doors. I've never seen a fire like this one before. Amazingly, one of the safes (Liberty?) had a few books that were crispy, but usable and intact. If the guns had been in there, they would still have been practically untouched, aside from the stocks. </div></div>

if your comfortable sharing, what brand safe were the guns in? if the liberty held up but didnt have the guns in it, id be interested to know what brand the other safwe was that didnt make itthrough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DubGunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interested to see how this turns out. Good luck.

Got pics of the FAL?</div></div>

It's an Enterprise Arms L1A1. That's about all I know. I think that thing at the bottom is where the stock melted.

dsc5944g.jpg

dsc5945o.jpg

And here's the 1903 after the initial cleanup. Besides a weak striker sping and magazine spring, it's fully functional.

dsc5952d.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bhanDallas</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c4xplsv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those pics are something else. Must have been really hot to burn off the stocks.</div></div>

You should've seen the safes. The locksmith estimated 15 minutes per safe, but it ended up taking almost 2 hours per safe. Apparently, some of the internals welded together, and the body of the safe warped enough to bind on the doors. The aluminum dials melted right off the doors. I've never seen a fire like this one before. Amazingly, one of the safes (Liberty?) had a few books that were crispy, but usable and intact. If the guns had been in there, they would still have been practically untouched, aside from the stocks. </div></div>

if your comfortable sharing, what brand safe were the guns in? if the liberty held up but didnt have the guns in it, id be interested to know what brand the other safwe was that didnt make itthrough.</div></div>

I'll ask him if I remember. They were all brand name, but safes just aren't meant to withstand that kind of heat. The lettering was completely gone from them. I will say the walls on the Liberty were about two or three times thicker than the others. In the end, I don't know if it was the brand or fire rating that made the difference.

sorry to hear of the loss, fire is devastating, I know that some polytech m14 receivers were heat treated in the past by SEI to improve hardness but i pressume this is a different case, be safe what ever you decide to do with the rifles