• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The M1 Garand

konabully

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2004
    PHX & So-Cal
    <span style="font-weight: bold">The M1 Garand</span>

Do you wonder why that rifle
    Is hanging in my den?
    You know I rarely take it down
    But I touch it now and then.

It's rather slow and heavy
    By standards of today
    But not too many years ago
    It swept the rest away.

It's held its own in battles
    Through snow, or rain, or sun
    And I had one just like it,
    This treasured old M-1.

It went ashore at Bougainville
    In Nineteen Forty-Three.
    It stormed the beach at Tarawa
    Through a bullet-riddled sea.

Saipan knew its strident bark,
    Kwajalein, its sting.
    The rocky caves of Peleliu
    Resounded with its ring.

It climbed the hill on Iwo
    With men who wouldn't stop
    And left our nation's banner
    Flying on the top.

It poked its nose in Pusan,
    Screamed an angry roar
    And took the First Division
    From Chosin Reservoir.

Well, time moves on
    And things improve
    With rifles and with men,
    And that is why the two of us
    Are sitting in my den.

But sometimes on a winter night,
    While thinking of my Corps,
    I know that if the bugle blew
    We'd be a team once more.

- Unknown Author

Re: The M1 Garand

Nice! I am going to print this and use it for a eulogy for my father, when his time comes. 79 years old and still brings his Garand to the range to shoot, and still shoots it amazingly well. Young dudes on the range are impressed when the old man with tremors shoots open sights with almost 80 year old eyes out to 500+ yards accurately.

Wow! That gave me goose bumps. Great poem! I think I will have to save that. Thanks for the post.

I still shoot mine XTC pretty often and not just Garand matches. That rifle and the men who carried it saved the world.

Good stuff !!!
    Would LOVE to have one someday. Things were built better back then,if taken care of they may never take dump like the pop can stuff we use now.
    Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: canman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That rifle and the men who carried it saved the world. </div></div>

That's exactly how I feel about it.
    cool.gif

ya...was some crazy shit back then

I'd highly recommend watching the miniseries "The Pacific" for anyone who has not seen it yet. Very nicely done in spite of the asswad Tom Hanks.

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/jjmnol...ism-and-terror/

Rent it..don't buy it: no need to give Tom Hanks anymore money.

I tell you, the more the actors/actresses i like speak in front of the camera candidly, the list of actors/actresses i like dwindles.

I had the extreme pleasure to be probably one of the last trainees the Corps trained with the Garand.

While we had the M-14 in boot and it was our issued rifle in 'Nam, it was the M-1 Garand that took us through our Infantry Training Regiment instructuion cycle.

I have subsequently owned the M1A and the AR-15, but my prewar Garand remains my sole service type rifle these days, and should remain so for at least the next month or so. It lives in my gun cabinet with all my other shooters, and comes out to play at least once every year.

Plans are to add a Stag Arms A4 SS 24" Varmint sometime in February, maybe to be followed by a Mossberg MVP sometime thereafter. My 700 VLS .223 is getting a bit worn.

Greg

I'm going forward that to a few people who LOVE the M1