• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The M70 Carlos Hathcock Is Pictured With...

Stranded Yank

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2012
Good day,

I have spent the past week or so scrounging across the internet and books that I have for information on this rifle. The most common photo of Carlos Hathcock shows him holding a Winchester M70 with a Redfield 3-9x40 scope mount in what appears to be a McMillan smear stock... here is a grab of the photo courtesy of google...

hathcock.jpg

Obviously, this is not an M40 or M40A1... can anyone here supply any information... approx date this photo would have been taken, what caliber - .30-06 or 7.62, was it an issue rifle or a special one-of-a-king built just for Carlos, what barrel - original or a new heavy M40A1 contour, pre-64 or post-64 action... any information would be handy as I am considering building a rifle similar to it.

Many thanks in advance,

Re: The M70 Carlos Hathcock Is Pictured With...

The USMC used the M70 between the 1903A1's and the introduction of the M40.

If you want to learn more I can highly recommend "The One Round War, USMC Scout-Snipers in Vietnam" by Peter R Senich.

In a nutshell:

30-06, 44" length, 11.9lbs with Unertl x8, 24" medium heavy barrel with 1 in 10 twist.

Also seen with x3-x9 Japanese made "Marine" scope and Redfield x3-x9 scope.

Remington made a Hathcock commemoration version in the past.

Also, check out TBA...believe they make (made?) a clone/replica?

I think that Rifle was a Retirement Present built by PWS for him. That's the rumor I heard. It looks to be a Pretty sweet set up.

May I chime in? First of all, what makes you think that is not an M40A1? I may be wrong, but I do believe it is indeed an M40A1.
The USMC used "THE GREEN SCOPE" on them before the Unertal 10x was adopted. Don't let the bronze color of the scope fool you. Over time, and certain light conditions they do appear to change color.
DSCN0168.jpg

DSCN0160.jpg

DSCN0158.jpg

Doc Les

I am just looking at that photo and making some guesses.
It is not an M40 or any 700 action for several reasons.
Integral lug action, gas port on right side of rec, SN on right side of receiver over gas port. It is not a pre '64 70 because it does not have a claw extractor. It is also a short action, which was not available in the Pre 64 action.
That pretty much settles it as a post '64 short action in 7.62.

Don't want to hijack the thread, BUT:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can highly recommend "The One Round War, USMC Scout-Snipers in Vietnam" by Peter R Senich.</div></div>

Peter Senich wrote several books on the history of sniping, that is just one (a good one) but there are several others about Vietnam and before. Limited War Sniping and A Pictorial Guide to Sniping are just two more covering the period, but he has several other excellent books. I like the one about the British Snipers German Snipers.

As a side benifit to me, in Senich's Vietnam Books he mentions some of my old comrads who started the Army's sniper programs in Vietnam. Wayne Young who sold me my M1A in '77 and got me into the AMU Sniper School, Mag (then Cpt) Virgil Umphenhour, OIC of the Americal Sniper School and one of my NG Rifle Team Members when I was running the AK NG Marksmanship Program (old Virgil was a good shot, but he wasn't house broke). Shelly Lamb who always stressed KEEP IT SIMPLE, stay way from gimmacks.

His books were like a home coming to me.
If one is into vintage sniping and vintage sniping rifles I highly recommend getting every one of Senich's books you can find.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocLes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">May I chime in? First of all, what makes you think that is not an M40A1? I may be wrong, but I do believe it is indeed an M40A1.
The USMC used "THE GREEN SCOPE" on them before the Unertal 10x was adopted. Don't let the bronze color of the scope fool you. Over time, and certain light conditions they do appear to change color.
DSCN0168.jpg

DSCN0160.jpg

DSCN0158.jpg

Doc ... agreed! The rifle looks to me to be an M40A1. One can just make out a smear stock and I thought only the 8x Long Unertl was used on the M70.

Doc Les </div></div>

Pretty sure that picture was taken in the 80s, maybe late 70s.

He was teaching classes, that certainly is not a picture from Vietnam.

everything about that picture says Remington 700 to me...

small ejection port, the way the bolt handle cut in the stock is shaped

the action looks clip slotted, smear stock w/ what appears to be Wichita swivels...

I'd bet money it's an M40a1 w/ a Redfield 3x9

How much money? I got you covered.
See the lack of a rem recoil lug? See the right side gas port and right side SN? Why is the safety not behind the bolt notch? Because it is on the bolt. You must have some odd 700's...
It is clearly a post '64 70 short action. Just a rifle someone put together, not a M40A1 or anything else issued. McMillan woodland, A1 stock, green Redfield in Redfield rings.

there's nothing clear about it or we wouldn't be having this discussion...

the safety area is in shadow, the recoil lug area has a glare...

like Frank said, the picture is probably from the late 70s/early 80s....

I never said it was an issued M40a1 w/ a Redfield...

and that's damn sure not a "woodland" stock... first off the M40a1 stocks are actually "Forest" not "Woodland"...

but that one is a "smear"... I could be wrong, but I've never seen a "civilian" smear pattern stock, as far as I know, they were all sold to the USMC... now, considering who the subject of this picture is, he mat well have had the only smear pattern stock McMillan ever made for a M70...

but if you'll look really close at the picture... the recoil lug just might be there

The only thing I can see to indicate this MIGHT not be an M40 is the absence of the Remington safety just below the bolt handle cut-out on the stock. Unfortunately, that part of the photo is so dark it's difficult to say positively that it's not there. This is especially true if it's in the rearward (safe) position. It's definately a short-action which rules out the possibility of it being an '06. I guess the Gunny took this secret with him. Maybe that's appropriate since he used both the M70 and the M40 / M40A1 to good effect.

HRF

Sir, we are having this discussion not because it is not clear, but because you do not know what the hell you are talking about. How much are we betting?

It is damn clear to anyone who has ever seen a Model 700 or model 70 Win. I have owned smear pattern A1 stocks that were made for target shooting with no bottom cut and about hollow, no weight at all. Had two of them and sold one or more on this site. So, you cannot use that smear stock is a not issue. A short action 70 could easily be put in a short action 700 stock, just a bit of milling and some glass. Or it could be a stock made for a 70. I use woodland and smear interchangebly. Same pattern, different way of making it. I guess like you use Rem 700 and Win 70 interchangebly. Because you cannot see something, does not mean I cannot. You cannot even see the Win port and SN. I wonder if you have ever seen a Win 70 or Rem 700.

Looking at the photo again and comparing to my M70 and my M40, it does not look like a Winchester ... port is too small (M70 used was a 30-06 long action). The rifle he is holding has a cut out in the stock by the port, and the M70 does not have this either. He is holding a 308 and that is not a wood stock. All M70 snipers had wood stocks. Nor would that have been a correct scope for an M70.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sir, we are having this discussion not because it is not clear, but because you do not know what the hell you are talking about. How much are we betting?

It is damn clear to anyone who has ever seen a Model 700 or model 70 Win. I have owned smear pattern A1 stocks that were made for target shooting with no bottom cut and about hollow, no weight at all. Had two of them and sold one or more on this site. So, you cannot use that smear stock is a not issue. A short action 70 could easily be put in a short action 700 stock, just a bit of milling and some glass. Or it could be a stock made for a 70. I use woodland and smear interchangebly. Same pattern, different way of making it. I guess like you use Rem 700 and Win 70 interchangebly. Because you cannot see something, does not mean I cannot. You cannot even see the Win port and SN. I wonder if you have ever seen a Win 70 or Rem 700. </div></div>

and it devolves into personal attacks

Edit my original post from "that's definately an M70" to say that rifle is definately a Winchester Model 70 short action. Probably a .308.

That is not a military picture...

if you are trying to overlay what the USMC used vs that image, it won't work.

That is a well after the fact photo of him.

it's probably a custom build aftermarket rifle, not anything he was issued.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sir, we are having this discussion not because it is not clear, but because you do not know what the hell you are talking about. How much are we betting?

It is damn clear to anyone who has ever seen a Model 700 or model 70 Win. I have owned smear pattern A1 stocks that were made for target shooting with no bottom cut and about hollow, no weight at all. Had two of them and sold one or more on this site. So, you cannot use that smear stock is a not issue. A short action 70 could easily be put in a short action 700 stock, just a bit of milling and some glass. Or it could be a stock made for a 70. I use woodland and smear interchangebly. Same pattern, different way of making it. I guess like you use Rem 700 and Win 70 interchangebly. Because you cannot see something, does not mean I cannot. You cannot even see the Win port and SN. I wonder if you have ever seen a Win 70 or Rem 700. </div></div>

and it devolves into personal attacks </div></div>

Agreed, no reason for personal attacks!

Just as a side note, I just noticed Winchester is showing the "Stealth" Model 70 on there web site. Returning for 2013. Will be interesting to see what calibers they are going to offer. The Stealth has always been a great shooting rifle!

I would tend to suggest...that Carlos Hathcock has his thumb covering the Remington 700 safety, which is in the safe {on} position. It looks to me, like a M40A-1 Remington 700 action, McMillan fiberglass stock and a custom heavy McMillan or Sinclair barrel --- chambered in 7.62X51mm NATO {308 Win.}.

I think its the M40A1 he was given by the USMC.
I've read alot of books about his exploits, and though I can't recall the title right now i know he was given an M40(A1?) by the USMC post retirement.

Guys maybe I can help solve this mystery. In the "Death from Afar" series vol V on page 191 there is a picture of Carlos Hathcock receiving a rifle for his retirement from the RTE Shop in Quantico. The book says it is a Winchester Model 70 with a green Redfield scope, and from looking at the picture the stock appears to be "Smear" pattern. The picture was taken in 1979.

M.
Thanks, but even if the book said it was a M40A1 it is still a Winchester 70 with a green Redfield scope on a smear stock. It is clearly apparent that far too many post on here without knowing a damn thing. Pitiful.

Maybe you need to re-read my post again and then retract your statement.

M,
I think my post was not clearly stated. I realize that you said it was a Win 70. My point is even if the book said it was a 700/M40, it still is not and I cannot beleive any shooter would think of disputing it. Thank you for your confirmation. I did not mean to offend you in any way. My post stands. I have likely owned over 200 model 70 Winchesters and a few dozen 700 Rem's. Fired a few hundred thousand rounds through them. Hunted with them on 5 continents. I do not need a book to tell them apart. Thank you again and no offense intended.
RTH

Maybe I mis-read your statement. I also agree it is a Win Mod 70. But to any of the nay sayers out there I have pretty good proof in writing as to what the rifle is.

Thank you, now they can all hide in the weeds until time to supply more bad information on other threads.

Wow. You'd think different brands of suppressors were being discussed in here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you, now they can all hide in the weeds until time to supply more bad information on other threads. </div></div>

Don't be a hater ...

The Accurange was used on M70's. It wasn't the Green first gen it was the second generation satin one's they were on 7.62 USAF rifles.
As far as all M70's having wood stocks. As a Sniper, probably so, however, The USMC rifle team used the M70 for years and a few of them wore fiberglass Mcmillan stocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eodcam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The Accurange was used on M70's. It wasn't the Green first gen it was the second generation satin one's they were on 7.62 USAF rifles.
As far as all M70's having wood stocks. As a Sniper, probably so, however, The USMC rifle team used the M70 for years and a few of them wore fiberglass Mcmillan stocks. </div></div>

Eodcam ... am assuming the Mcmillan stocks were introduced in the 70s when the M40A1s came out?

Thanks for the many replies, everyone!

First... I have many of the books mentioned in the replies with exception of the Chandler series.

@M. Williams,

Thanks for posting this...

<span style="font-style: italic">In the "Death from Afar" series vol V on page 191 there is a picture of Carlos Hathcock receiving a rifle for his retirement from the RTE Shop in Quantico. The book says it is a Winchester Model 70 with a green Redfield scope, and from looking at the picture the stock appears to be "Smear" pattern. The picture was taken in 1979.</span>

That would seem to answer many of the questions I had.

I have yet to see a large scan of this photo, so other than knowing it was a M70 with a green Redfield, there was not much more I could decipher. This photo seems to have been Carlos' favorite photo which is often signed by him as well.

So in summary...

Post-64 action
7.62 caliber
The Barrel would be whatever the RTE shop had on hand
Redfield base and rings
Green Redfield scope

The main consideration of my question was... was it possible that while the M40 was fielded in '66-'67 and then consequently slowly upgraded to the M40A1 spec, that during that transition, there were still M70's in service that were also modified to fill in the gaps since there always seems to be a shortage of rifles in the early years... an was this rifle such a specimen... that is a wrong assumption since correct answer would appear to be that this was a one-of-a-kind as a retirement gift to the Carlos.

Thanks,

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

USMC Take-off Mcmillan it was on a Pre-war model 70 46,xxx serial range, would have been from the first batch of M70's sent to the Corps.

@eodcam,

This stock has a very different shape to the McMillan A1... do you know when it would have been made and any other history?

Thanks,

It does, I just wanted to show that the Corps did use Mcmillans on the M70's.

RTH1800 probably made the most interesting comment. It's about the s/n. Win. Model 70's the s/n is on the right side of the receiver like the picture shows. A Rem.700 the s/n is on the left side of the receiver (unless it's a left handed Rem.700 then the s/n would be on the right side of the receiver).

Unless the receiver was reengraved with the s/n to be on the right side of the Rem.700 on the rifle in the picture or if anyone has any more information on this my vote would have to be for a Win. Model 70 just for this reason alone.

Interesting though either way and with all the comments listed.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Well, If you guys want to see the REAL DEALS and see what your Model 70's, M40's and M40A1's can do...Mark your Calendars for 23-24 March 2013. We're holding another Vintage Precision Rifle Match at Quantico on the infamous Range 4. There will be plenty of Guns and Collectors, C'mon out you might find the one piece you've been looking for!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">everything about that picture says Remington 700 to me...

the action looks clip slotted, smear stock w/ what appears to be Wichita swivels...

I'd bet money it's an M40a1 w/ a Redfield 3x9 </div></div>

Think you are correct.
This is a known photo of Carlos in Vietnam, quite a bit of age difference.
That is likely the M40 that they built him when he retired.
Interesting topic because I had never put 2 and 2 together, the M40A1 stock with an M40 scope......?

CarlosHathcock.jpg

@ArticLight,

The photo you posted does seem to be often linked with Carlos Hathcock, but according to the references I have, Peter Senich - The One Round War, original USMC caption names the shooter as L.Cpl Dalton Gunderson.

Here is the photo in question. Sorry for the quality but it is the best I can get it to come out. Good for information though.
WinchesterM70_zps87c37a57.jpg

I believe the photo above is not Hathcock. I found the name somewhere a while back. I don't recall the name but it was not him.
Referring to the photo posted by ArticLight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">everything about that picture says Remington 700 to me...

Think you are correct.
Interesting topic because I had never put 2 and 2 together, the M40A1 stock with an M40 scope......?

CarlosHathcock.jpg

</div></div>

That picture is of Lcpl Dalton B. Gunderson during one of the operations. Cant remember the name of it. But the rifle in the pic is of a M70 with 8x Unertl scope.

2nd Lcpl gunderson ... Not Carlos hathcock. SSA has adapted that photo as ther logo. You can contact them to source the photo is you are questioning the individual in the photo. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">everything about that picture says Remington 700 to me...

Think you are correct.

CarlosHathcock.jpg

</div></div>

That picture is of Lcpl Dalton B. Gunderson during one of the operations. Cant remember the name of it. But the rifle in the pic is of a M70 with 8x Unertl scope. </div></div>

@M.Williams,

Thanks for sharing that photo and caption, I believe that you have provided the best information to answer my original questions. Thanks!

Does anyone have a large or hi-res scan of the photo I post in my original post?

Thanks,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stranded Yank</div><div class="ubbcode-body">@ArticLight,

The photo you posted does seem to be often linked with Carlos Hathcock, but according to the references I have, Peter Senich - The One Round War, original USMC caption names the shooter as L.Cpl Dalton Gunderson. </div></div>

I have heard that as well.

The photo above, in the OP - does look like a Winchester with the slant back bolt cut-out.

There was a book I sold here "The Complete book on US SNiping" that had that information in it but not sure on THAT particular rifle.

Interesting question.

If memory serves me I remember in 78 or early 79 I spent some weeks with gunny training.I was at lejune rifle range for a special course.I didn't know Gunny and had never heard of him.He was just another Marine Gunny and my rifle instructor .He taught marksmanship and wind reading.I think I was with him for about two months with some other Marines.I remember he had a few bolt rifles in the little building and one was his.I didn't know anything about rifles or scopes.I do remember I went to touch one rifle and was quickly stopped by another Marine who told me it was Gunny's and I better not drop it.I stopped and just looked at it because Gunny was know one to piss off.I certainly didn't want to be on his shit list by dropping his rifle.I asked about it and was told it was a 300 win mag.I remember that because I never heard of that calibre before.It looked larger than the other rifles and the action was different.Today I would say it was a Winchester and it was wood not fibreglass.Im not sure but I think he might of liked Winchester or Remington was just not used in a long action then.I wish I could go back in time being one on one with him now would be awesome.I did learn to read the wind and shoot he even taught me how to break down a fifty cal fast.I hope it might shed some info on that picture and what the rifle might be.

The rifle in the picture in question is a Winchester 70. Check the serial number placement. Wrong side for a Remington 700. It is a Winchester M70 308 match rifle receiver, witnessed by the small radius cuts on either side of the clip slot. Very particular to the M70 308 match. It was given to him as a retirement present. A close look at a higher quality version of the pic of Carlos in the RTE shop shows the smear pattern to be identical. The pic of Carlos in the RTE shop is Carlos. EODCAM's stock is a modified 700 stock. Check out the fill at the rear extending beyond the tang. Its fill from a 700 tang. Stocks of the era were received by the Marines un-inletted. They were inletted in house.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BSully</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rifle in the picture in question is a Winchester 70. Check the serial number placement. Wrong side for a Remington 700. It is a Winchester M70 308 match rifle receiver, witnessed by the small radius cuts on either side of the clip slot. Very particular to the M70 308 match. It was given to him as a retirement present. A close look at a higher quality version of the pic of Carlos in the RTE shop shows the smear pattern to be identical. The pic of Carlos in the RTE shop is Carlos. EODCAM's stock is a modified 700 stock. Check out the fill at the rear extending beyond the tang. Its fill from a 700 tang. Stocks of the era were received by the Marines un-inletted. They were inletted in house. </div></div>

Yes, have recently spoke with someone who's former boss new Carlos (also had photos of them together). The story goes, as he told me, that Carlos had said his ideal rifle would be a Winchester M70 in a McMillan stock ... that is what they built for him. Wonder where that rifle is now?

Dont we all! Have one that is a few numbers off that came out via DRMO.