• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The M73 Lyman Alaskan Scope from WWII, which became the M81 for the M1C Garand Sniper

cplnorton

Private
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2012
Van Wert, Ohio
I actually encountered something that I had never seen before, so I thought if I hadn't seen one others might find this interesting as well.

This is the backstory:

In early 1943, the Lyman Alaskan scope was actually the front runner to be used on the M1903A4. Ordnance wanted to name the Lyman Alaskan the M73 but because Lyman could not produce the scope in the number needed, the Weaver 330 was chosen instead and designated the M73B1.

Now fast forward to the testing of the M1C in the summer of 1944. The Lyman Alaskan again was the front Runner as the scope for the M1C, but this time Lyman felt they could produce the numbers that Ordnance required, so Lyman was awarded an initial contract.

Ordnance actually wanted a tapered post reticule from the beginning, but there was a shortage of the materials needed to make post reticules. So Lyman offered to supply the first scopes with the standard cross hair reticule to give them time to find the materials needed to produce the post reticule on later scopes. Lyman also stated they had a few hundred Commercial Alaskans already made with cross hairs that could be used to supplement the first shipment.

So Ordnance decided they would be willing to accept up to 2000 of the cross haired reticule variations with the expectation that Lyman would produce the rest with the post reticule. Lyman said their fist shipment would be 350 and would be delivered around November 1944. They would use all the remaining commercial Lyman scopes they had in stock. They then would fabricate the additional ones needed to round out the 350 number for the first shipment. All 350 would be labeled Telescope M73 per the requirements Ordnance asked of them.

Well around Nov 9th, 1944 Ordnance got to thinking that they now will have two versions of the M73 Scope. One with cross hairs, and the other with a post reticule. So the decided they needed to name the scopes differently to not cause confusion. So they decided the Cross haired version would be named the M81, and the post reticule version would be named the M82. They then decided they would like the first shipment of scopes from lyman to be marked M81 instead of the M73 they previously had asked them to be marked.

So on Nov 20, 1944, they had a meeting with Lyman and detailed they would like the name on the scope changed from M73 to M81.

Lyman at this meeting detailed of the 350 scopes for the first shipment, 149 of the scopes had already been marked the Telescope M73. The rest were unmarked. So at the end of the Meeting Lyman agreed to Mark out the 73 on the 149 scopes already done and instead mark all 350 as the M81. This 1st shipment of 350 M81 scopes arrived in what appears to have been December 1944 to Springfield Armory. SA had 350 M1C rifles with mounts ready to be shipped, all they were waiting on were the scopes. So as soon as this first M81 order of 350 scopes arrived, they were to ship the complete M1C's to the field.

So I give you one of a 149 Commercial Lyman Alaskan Scopes that Lyman had already marked Telescope M73, and had to go back and remark them the M81. You can see how they marked out the 73 in the Telescope M73 and remarked them the M81. Also since they were commercial scopes they retain all the original Lyman Alaskan markings and even the commercial serial number, which on this one is the 51xx serial range. Today there are only about 10 of these M73/M81 marked scopes known to exist. This one also retains it's original Griffin and Howe mount with a M1C serial from the first block. We know by the records and existing examples, this is the original G&H mount for this scope. There are only a couple M73/M81 marked scopes that retain their original M1C mount, that are known to still exist.

All in all this is one rare scope. It even retains it's original high dome turret caps that only came on the first scopes. It also most likely is one of the few M1C scopes that actually could have been used in WWII in one of the theaters, as the first 350 M1C rifles were shipped to the field.

It also really makes this neat, I found the documents that describe this scope at the National Archives. So there is no question the backstory on this scope.

I hope you guys enjoy this. I had never seen one until this past weekend. :)

DSC_0311 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0309 - Copy.JPG

P1080101.JPG

P1080111.JPG

P1080116.JPG

P1080120.JPG

P1080125.JPG

P1080127.JPG

Last edited:
That is very neat little piece of M1C history, thanks for showing that scope and related documentation. Its clears up the "M73" vs "M73B1" topic.
Here's one more interesting random factoid re the Lyman Alaskan scopes circa 1951 (during Korean War), as related to early M1D sniper rifles.
Source: Ordnance Tools, Accessories & Appendages of the M1 Rifle (2002), but Billy Pyle, page 76.
Pyle_page_76.png

ON EDIT: Looking at the Fall 2004 article by Johnny Bell and Bob Seijas, they write that the "possibility is high they were intended for the 1951 M1Cs." So perhaps the 3000 Lymans ordered in 1951 were for the 3087 M1Cs that were ordered that year, and not the the M1Ds as often suggested.

1952 Lyman Alaskan ad:
Lyman_Alaskan_1952_ad.png

Last edited:
What kind of value would a scope like that attract?
It's a nice looking piece.
Honestly I have no idea for sure. A M81 sells for more than an M82. Usually I see nice M82's for the 1500ish range, and nice M81's for 2k plus. So this one would probably have a fuzz more value than a normal M81.

Several M1C's mounts have sold lately for the 1700 to 2250 range.

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
That is very neat little piece of M1C history, thanks for showing that scope and related documentation. Its clears up the "M73" vs "M73B1" topic.
Here's one more interesting random factoid re the Lyman Alaskan scopes circa 1951 (during Korean War), as related to early M1D sniper rifles.
Source: Ordnance Tools, Accessories & Appendages of the M1 Rifle (2002), but Billy Pyle, page 76.

1952 Lyman Alaskan ad:

Random Guy, I actually have the Ordnance docs from this order. If I run across them again I will come back and post them.

*Actually found one. I know I have more of this order, but here is at least one. I didn't spend a lot of time putting together the story, but I'm not sure I agree with what Pyle says about them being purchased for the M1D. I'm not seeing anything of the Lyman order being for the M1D. It's actually the opposite as the Lyman Order actually shipped to Frankford Arsenal for what Frankford labeled as a Conversion Order and just were to be used as replacements for other scopes.

The M84's on the other hand were going to Springfield Armory, which SA at that time was focused on the m1D. Also I see M84's that were coming in before the Lyman Order was coming in.

So without spending alot of time on it, I really don't see anything that the lyman Order was for the M1D.

I have more than this, I just don't know where it is in the files. If I find it, I will come back and post it.
lyman B scope.jpg

Last edited:
cplnorton:

Can you read the original 4 digit Lyman Alaskan serial number? The first 3 digits look like 515_.

We know that the commercial Lyman Alaskans put into military use were not serialized in the order of the commercial serial numbers. I have two of these early M73/M81 scopes: 31681 has a commercial Lyman Alaskan serial number of 5031, and 31711 has a commercial serial number of 5113.

Great documentation on the use of these.

Dave

Reactions: cplnorton
Random Guy and cplnorton,:

The B prefix Lyman Alaskans are the scopes referred to in the Lyman ad and the 3,000 scopes referred to in the 1951 letter.

The Fall 2004 GCA Journal has a good summary of all of the M73/M81, M81, M82 and B Prefix Lyman Alaskans.

Dave

cplnorton:

Can you read the original 4 digit Lyman Alaskan serial number? The first 3 digits look like 515_.

We know that the commercial Lyman Alaskans put into military use were not serialized in the order of the commercial serial numbers. I have two of these early M73/M81 scopes: 31681 has a commercial Lyman Alaskan serial number of 5031, and 31711 has a commercial serial number of 5113.

Great documentation on the use of these.

Dave

Dave,

It does look like 515. But I can't tell after that bc it'sunder the ring. The screws on the rings are staked so no real way to find out the last digit. Which stinks.

I shoot a 1903A4 replica that has a M73 Hi Lux scope on it. It requires a considerable amount of extra effort to shoot good groups with such a small low power scope.

I have to tip my hat to the guys who carried a 1903A4 into battle. It's difficult enough to shoot well in good conditions. I can't imagine how tough it would be to use the scope in an operational setting.

Dave,

It does look like 515. But I can't tell after that bc it'sunder the ring. The screws on the rings are staked so no real way to find out the last digit. Which stinks.

I thought that might be the case. I have an M82 where the mount screws must have been staked with 2 lb. ball peen hammer. No way they are ever coming loose. ha!

Dave

Pictures of my M73/M81. Serial number 31833; Lyman serial number 5037; Serial number on the G&H mount 3252009. I have also included four other scopes; M-81(Lyman), M-82 (Lyman); and M-82 (Wollensak)

Attachments

• M73M81 005.jpg
    M73M81 005.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 156
  • M73M81 004.jpg
    M73M81 004.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 138
  • M73M81 003.jpg
    M73M81 003.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 127
  • M73M81 002.jpg
    M73M81 002.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 122
  • M73M81 001.jpg
    M73M81 001.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 127
Are you selling it or do you have a gun to put it on? I've been hunting for an original scope and mount for my M1C but never seem to find one priced right.

I do have a period Alaskan scope I found a few years ago, stored since an early 1980's Lyman refresh in the factory box and a repro mount. It works great and looks close enough for Vintage Sniper matches.

lonegunman762x51, I sent you a pm.

By the way Dave, I'm jealous of that 3.25 M1C! I got my M1C long before I went thru the M1C docs at the Archives or otherwise I would have been specifically looking for a 3.25. To me now after reading the docs they are the most fascinating M1C serial range.

By the way Dave, I'm jealous of that 3.25 M1C! I got my M1C long before I went thru the M1C docs at the Archives or otherwise I would have been specifically looking for a 3.25. To me now after reading the docs they are the most fascinating M1C serial range.

I feel the same way, there's something about that first block of M1C serial numbers.

Look closely though, those are two different rifles.... I picked out one at the North Store, then after I got home I noticed that it's consecutive numbered sister had been on the rack. I spotted the number on the tag as I was looking at some pictures I had taken of the racks. They hadn't grouped them together for sale. I put it off for 2-1/2 years, but then finally called them back and had them send me that one too.

Dave

3A0BE6BE-FA64-48F6-B582-3757FEB71415.jpeg
4C7B77E4-0021-4D4B-834D-97822DE9F216.jpeg
7105B9D0-70EB-4E65-B2F4-A771CC099221.jpeg
I have two of the Canadian contract Lyman No.32 Mk.I Trade Pattern sniper scopes on rifles. The Canadian sniper scopes used the original Lyman scope serial number with an “S” suffix. They marked the “S” at the end of the serial number both on the miniature numbers following the word ALASKAN on the tube and in larger numbers on the flat left side of the turret base. I had an M81 scope, but as the M1C rifle is rare in Canada and my collection focus is on Canadian sniper rifles, I sold it to Andy Lundberg in Tennessee. It has gone to a better home.

The “/|\” British Broad Arrow issue mark often found following the serial number is a puzzle. These scopes were on Canadian issue, not British and the Canadian issue mark had a “C” surrounding the /|\. We do not know who put it in or why.

As far as I know there were only 350 of the Lyman scopes ordered by Canada. Canada did not order rubber eye pieces The scopes were assembled onto No.4 Mk.I* rifles made by Small Arms Limited at Long Branch. The story of the difficulties in the scopes’ procurement is told in Clive Law’s book WITHOUT WARNING. Altogether Canada appears to have made about 1,588 No.4 (T) sniper rifle sets (mostly built on No.4 Mk.I*), of which 350 had the Lyman scopes. The slides are Canadian made and were a licenced variation of the Griffin & Howe set up.

Scope 4553S is still on its matching rifle 71L0075. The rifle was purchased by me out of Australia. It has some damaged done by an owner while it was in Australia, so it needs some expert hand herein Canada to fix the cosmetic appearance. The main thing is that it is a matching set as very few sets remain out of the 350 and fewer still are matching.

Scope 4550S is now in the slide numbered to rifle 74L0190. The rifle was most likely destroyed by the Dutch post-war when they replaced the rifles that had been given to them by Canada. Some scopes and brackets came back to Canada as surplus but the scopes were apparently not in their slides, so we do not know which slide went with which scope.

The C No.18 Mk.I scope case is for one of these Canadian contract Lyman scopes and is original, but for scope 4521C and rifle 74L0106.

Note that these numbers appear to indicate that the Canadian contract was filled before the U.S. contract, but this an area needing more research.

One of my WWII Canadian made transit chests No.15 Mk.I is now assigned to the matching set 74L0075 / 4550S and the correct, but mismatched, scope case. Normally these wooden transit chests were not permanently marked with the rifle serial number. The usual method was a paper label on a tin frame named to on end of the chest. Of the chest was needed to ship or store another rifle, the paper was simply changed.

3971B2C6-9DB4-4895-AA83-CC09CB772DD4.jpeg
DFFF2220-DB67-48D0-A282-D5529B42BADB.jpeg
Seaforth72 I’m a new member here. I thought you might be interested in this scope I found the other day at the back of my gun safe. Been there for years. Is it a sniper scope that belongs on a Longbranch MK 4 No. 1* ? Be interested in any information you can provide regarding this scope.

Regards

Lbfan

View attachment 7805780View attachment 7805782Seaforth72 I’m a new member here. I thought you might be interested in this scope I found the other day at the back of my gun safe. Been there for years. Is it a sniper scope that belongs on a Longbranch MK 4 No. 1* ? Be interested in any information you can provide regarding this scope.

Regards

Lbfan
Very cool scope.

Welcome aboard. May I suggest that you post this in its own thread with a title that will bring in some folks who know these scopes.

There’s a guy from Canada who really knows these inside out and I can’t think of his handle right now. But if he sees a title about this he will definitely be responding.

Cheers

View attachment 7805780View attachment 7805782Seaforth72 I’m a new member here. I thought you might be interested in this scope I found the other day at the back of my gun safe. Been there for years. Is it a sniper scope that belongs on a Longbranch MK 4 No. 1* ? Be interested in any information you can provide regarding this scope.

Regards

Lbfan
Thankyou for the welcome and the advice. I'll try a separate post.

Regards

Lbfan

Honestly I have no idea for sure. A M81 sells for more than an M82. Usually I see nice M82's for the 1500ish range, and nice M81's for 2k plus. So this one would probably have a fuzz more value than a normal M81.

Several M1C's mounts have sold lately for the 1700 to 2250 range.
I own Alaskan #4595S with broad arrow. I will sell it but struggle to come up with a price. Has clear optics etc. Would you offer your opinion?

Attachments

• IMG_7575.png
    IMG_7575.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 23
I own Alaskan #4595S with broad arrow. I will sell it but struggle to come up with a price. Has clear optics etc. Would you offer your opinion?

I honestly am not the right person to ask on this. I barely follow USGI pricing anymore. On that would I really would not know.

I'm sure others can help. :)