• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Marines

ironman56

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2020
Question for all the Marines in the hide , I have a younger friend who's wanting to join, mid 20's, thin , bit of a pothead , but has worked as a roofer most of his adult life so used to hard work , but he's not a tough guy at all , not a sissy but never been in a fight , been bullied a little , I just don't think he's cut out for the Corp, my Question is do any of the former Marines especially recent ones , think a guy like this can pass basic training , I know it's not as tough as it was back in the past , but this guy's never had someone yelling in his face , he's kinda soft-spoken nonconfortational and I'm worried that if he doesn't pass basic , it might fuck him up emotionally, I'm I just being a worry wart.

Question for all the Marines in the hide , I have a younger friend who's wanting to join, mid 20's, thin , bit of a pothead , but has worked as a roofer most of his adult life so used to hard work , but he's not a tough guy at all , not a sissy but never been in a fight , been bullied a little , I just don't think he's cut out for the Corp, my Question is do any of the former Marines especially recent ones , think a guy like this can pass basic training , I know it's not as tough as it was back in the past , but this guy's never had someone yelling in his face , he's kinda soft-spoken nonconfortational and I'm worried that if he doesn't pass basic , it might fuck him up emotionally, I'm I just being a worry wart.
PS ,I'm a Veteran myself ,but Air Force back in the early 70's , basic was a joke , if you kept your mouth shut and did as you were told , it was like a boy scout outing, so I have no 1st hand knowledge of marine boot camp

If he likes the construction trades, have him look at USN Seabees. He'll still get some combat training, and some of the cool guy stuff of
the Corps, but can not as "in your face" boot camp. Also no long term deployment on a ship. Being a not often heard of bunch, they play a important role in readiness.

It's mainly mental. Yeah, they wear your ass out, but that makes a good killer. Understanding why the drill instructors are doing what they do, and the techniques used in USMC bootcamp helps with the mental aspect of it all while being subjected to it all. Poolee programs help prepare, so I would recommend that, if that is something a non-high school recruit can do.

He's coming over later for me to fill out a character statement for him , said it's more of a questionere , I've got a feeling the Marines might have been his only choice because he's had some legal issues with weed , he's having some financial problems ,like a lot of young people right now , with housing so expensive and Probably barely keeping his head above water, plus a recent girlfriend breakup , so all the Jody reasons for joining, I'll mention the seebee thing that something that you can use when you get out, not much call for killers on the outside , except for the muh pension guys.

He sounds exactly like alot of highly successful Marines before they entered. Let him and the Corps dig and find what he's made of. It might be more than you think.
You might be right ,could be exactly what he needs to man him up. I hope so anyway, and with all the Trans bullshit going on these days in the military ,how fucking hard could it be , the new marine boot camp might be the old Air Force basic .

Reactions: 101st and Im2bent
He's coming over later for me to fill out a character statement for him , said it's more of a questionere , I've got a feeling the Marines might have been his only choice because he's had some legal issues with weed , he's having some financial problems ,like a lot of young people right now , with housing so expensive and Probably barely keeping his head above water, plus a recent girlfriend breakup , so all the Jody reasons for joining, I'll mention the seebee thing that something that you can use when you get out, not much call for killers on the outside , except for the muh pension guys.
Uhhh...The Marines is never someone's "only choice"; that just doesn't happen these days. The entrance requirements are much harder than most of the other services.

USAF and USMC have the highest basic intelligence requirements. Then the Navy, and falling last, is the Army.

As to the weed thing, he'll have to do DEP and pass several piss tests to waive the drug usage. At leas that's how it was a few years back, when my son was interested in joining.

As to "Can he cut it?". That's what boot camp is for; pushing you to your limit, and then pushing you more, so you understand your "real" limit.

I wouldn't worry about him not being in a fight, knowing how to fight, wanting to fight; The Corps will teach him how to do that.

The real question will be "How bad does he want that EGA?" That's what gets most through bootcamp and the crucible. You gotta want it. There's no way around that. If you don't really want it, you're going to have a tough time IMHO. There are just too many failures and setbacks that can happen while in bootcamp, and if you don't want it, you're just going to give up.

Now granted, I went through bootcamp a LONG time ago (late 80's) but let me tell you this. We started with 86 recruits in my platoon. Of those 86, we only graduated 51 of the original recruits. The rest washed out, got hurt and sent to MRP until they could pick up another platoon to finish their training, or got sent to some other remedial platoon (pork chop platoon for being fat, marksmanship remedial platoon because they couldn't shoot, or remedial swimmers because they couldn't figure out how to perform a basic swim qual). We had one guy that got dropped after the 12mile forced march (which was the home stretch back then, and only two weeks left for graduation) because they found out his foot was broken, while he humped the entire 12 miles. That's how bad he wanted it. He spent an extra two months on the Island, waiting to pick up another platoon so he could finish that last two weeks of bootcamp (I ran into him a year later, after I came back off a deployment).

BLUF: You gotta want that title of "Marine", if you have a hope to graduate. And I mean "Deep down" you got to want it.

He needs to answer that question first. The Corps is not a job, it's a lifestyle and culture. A warrior culture. If you don't want that, well, you're in the wrong service.

@MarinePMI , I normally like your take, but the above post is full of so much Marine recruiting hype it is irritating.

You should please remember that Marines are not SOF, no matter how much hype and hard core bullshit you spout about basic.

If you can shut your mouth and suffer, you can pass marine corps basic.

It's not hard. It's unpleasant, but not hard. There is a difference.

Reactions: 101st
@MarinePMI , I normally like your take, but the above post is full of so much Marine recruiting hype it is irritating.

You should please remember that Marines are not SOF, no matter how much hype and hard core bullshit you spout about basic.

If you can shut your mouth and suffer, you can pass marine corps basic.

It's not hard. It's unpleasant, but not hard. There is a difference.
I think we're going to have to disagree.

As to Marines not being SOF, I'd remind you when I went in, Gen Gray had just become Commandant. And he definitely pushed the Corps into more SOF training than ever before (or since). Hence the SOC quals for the MEU's, and his attempt to have MEU(SOC) Marines wear black berets with bronze EGA insignia. His background of coming from Force Recon drove a lot of that.

As to recruiting hype, you can take it anyway you want. I'm speaking of my experience. If that wasn't yours, so be it. Express your opinion. But don't try and tell me I'm full of shit.

Recruit training isn't supposed to be SOF training. It is supposed to weed out the mentally weak. Back when I was a recruiter there was an 84% success rate. 'The kids that didn't make it weren't because they physically sucked...if they fail the physical requirements they just get sent to Physical Conditioning Platoon (AKA PCP or "pork chop platoon'). The kids that got weeded out usually had hidden emotional or medical issues.

Anyway, the Marines stopped being the Marines when they forbid putting hands in your pocket...but you could put a dick in your mouth.

BTW, the ASVAB requirement for enlistment across the Corps was/is actually 65% "Alpha" - or cut a 51 or above. Technically 2/3 of the kids in have an above average score...even though they "eat crayons".

Recruit training isn't supposed to be SOF training. It is supposed to weed out the mentally weak. Back when I was a recruiter there was an 84% success rate. 'The kids that didn't make it weren't because they physically sucked...if they fail the physical requirements they just get sent to Physical Conditioning Platoon (AKA PCP or "pork chop platoon'). The kids that got weeded out usually had hidden emotional or medical issues.

Anyway, the Marines stopped being the Marines when they forbid putting hands in your pocket...but you could put a dick in your mouth.

BTW, the ASVAB requirement for enlistment across the Corps was/is actually 65% "Alpha" - or cut a 51 or above. Technically 2/3 of the kids in have an above average score...even though they "eat crayons".

This is probably a better articulation of what I was trying to portray.

The one thing that really surprised me when arriving at Parris Island that first night in receiving, was how many guys were heard crying in their racks that night. Completely floored me. I was unsure myself, if I had made the right decision, as I think many of us were. But man, that really surprised me.

Forget about the past this is now.
1707500218793.png

Send him on his way and let him find out on his own.

As long as he can pass the drug test, MEPS medical, moment of truth, and initial fitness test then he’ll start training.

At that point as long as he doesn’t puss out mentally with some weak suicidal ideation shit then he’ll likely make it through eventually.

Below are my qualifications to speak on this topic:

IMG_1379.jpeg

My SIL runs an RS, listening to the guys talk, MEPS is the biggest hurdle, with SSRI's handed out like candy and Mary Jane, they uncover just about everything medically and otherwise at MEPS, a good recruiter will work their ass off getting you in if he thinks you want it, you have to want it!

Reactions: MarinePMI

As long as he can pass the drug test, MEPS medical, moment of truth, and initial fitness test then he’ll start training.

At that point as long as he doesn’t puss out mentally with some weak suicidal ideation shit then he’ll likely make it through eventually.

View attachment 8345194
Your resume passes muster……

• Haha
Reactions: tsavo303 and 101st
Oh, and if he’s after financial security the. He probably won’t match what he’s making right now until about 4 years of he gets promoted to Sgt.

Well, he can also marry a stripper from Tobies when he’s a PFC and that’ll give him a pay bump.

He just left after I filled out the character statement, turns out he's joining the reserves, still has to go thru boot camp, and he's not joining because of financial hardships actually has a good paying job now , just wants a challenge, so I think he'll be alright, he's a good kid and if he gets in this will only make him a better man , proud of him for trying to join.

Oh, and if he’s after financial security the. He probably won’t match what he’s making right now until about 4 years of he gets promoted to Sgt.

Well, he can also marry a stripper from Tobies when he’s a PFC and that’ll give him a pay bump.
That or the Driftwood. Oh wait, they finally shut that hole down....

Regardless, Court St is still there as I understand it.

When my son was 16-17 he REALLY wanted to be a marine. He went with the recruiter did some of the PT stuff, took the test and passed with flying colors. I don't know how it works but after he took that test my phone started to ring off the hook. Everyone wanted him. At the time 2nd in his class, right behind a cute little blonde girl....anyone see where this is going yet.....

I had the army, navy, air force all knocking on my front door, basically telling him and us he could do whatever he wanted with his brains and school standing. Army was well I can offer him so much more then the Marines, Air Force was out doing them all....nope he wanted to be a Marine.

Until that little blonde girl came along.....

Now he is 27, married to that little blonde girl and I thank my stars I did not have to worry about him in some over seas shithole for less then nothing.

I was not happy at the time, but am now.

As to your friend, I would make sure this is not a.....well I lost my girl friend, and life sucks, I might as well join the Marines. If that is the case I don't think he is going to be happy.

It is something you want to do.

Reactions: tsavo303
How long has it been since he blew his last joint? I recall watching a Discovery Channel special featuring a young female recruit at PI that had bleach blond hair (and it showed). Midway into the 3 part special, she was seen in her natural hair color (they forbade her to bleach it), Shortly thereafter, she was dismissed. She didn't quit. She was kicked out. In the third segment, they followed up with her back at her home (and back to the bleach blond hair) and she explained that the night before she reported to MEPS, she blew a few joints which hit on a pre-submitted latent piss test. It just caught up with her and they dismissed her for that reason. IINM, traces of THC can last in the urine for as long as 2 weeks if not longer.

Take care. He can watch a few videos on YouTube to see what "Receiving" is like.

And here's the San Diego Version. A little different (harsher I think).

Last edited:

View attachment 8345194
So you are a successful beaver hunter, and are skilled in making clothing items from them?

He just left after I filled out the character statement, turns out he's joining the reserves, still has to go thru boot camp, and he's not joining because of financial hardships actually has a good paying job now , just wants a challenge, so I think he'll be alright, he's a good kid and if he gets in this will only make him a better man , proud of him for trying to join.
Fuck the reserves, all or nothing. Go for broke.
If he wants to be part of the culture, you need to live and breath it everyday.

When my son was 16-17 he REALLY wanted to be a marine. He went with the recruiter did some of the PT stuff, took the test and passed with flying colors. I don't know how it works but after he took that test my phone started to ring off the hook. Everyone wanted him. At the time 2nd in his class, right behind a cute little blonde girl....anyone see where this is going yet.....

I had the army, navy, air force all knocking on my front door, basically telling him and us he could do whatever he wanted with his brains and school standing. Army was well I can offer him so much more then the Marines, Air Force was out doing them all....nope he wanted to be a Marine.

Until that little blonde girl came along.....

Now he is 27, married to that little blonde girl and I thank my stars I did not have to worry about him in some over seas shithole for less then nothing.

I was not happy at the time, but am now.

As to your friend, I would make sure this is not a.....well I lost my girl friend, and life sucks, I might as well join the Marines. If that is the case I don't think he is going to be happy.

It is something you want to do.
He missed out.

Have him watch the movie “The DI”, I think it was with Jack Webb as the Drill Instructor at Paris Island. If he laughs, send him, full bore, into the crotch.

Sounds like he’s never been under hard stress. You have to be physically fit but the mental aspect is what will break you. Hard to tell before hand. I’ve seen tough looking guys fall apart and whimpy looking weak kids rise to the occasion. I’d say go for it.

View attachment 8345194
Nice yard sale find 😏😉

Idk the drugs deal will hurt him. If he’s still actively smoking a joint that’s a lifestyle he’s gonna have to give up hard and quick

And being in his 20’s and being a little “seasoned” versus some 17-18 year old kid fresh outta high school and mom and dad’s wings may hurt him. He may be damn older then a DI or too and the quick attitude adjustment may not swing for him

Is he fit? The last thing you’d wanna do is show up and not be able to perform, bar aside having to completely relearn everything Marine Corps style, by the numbers, from washing your balls to taking a shit to tying your shoes….

My dad gave me quite a bit of advice before I left when I enlisted. Some of it stuck with me. Especially this one:

No matter how much your DI yells at you or how many pushups he makes you do... He will always be nicer to you than the enemy.

It isn't meant to be fun. Suck it up.

Mike

I know lol but did they not make you any campaign cover racks?
Issued 3. Can exchange one every cycle. Cover presses are available, but they eventually fade out. If you polyurethane them they eventually crack too.

One is your “field cover”, one is your nicer cover, and the 3rd is for initial drill, final drill, family day, etc.

Did 8 back to back cycles. When I first started you had to turn in an old cover to get a new cover. About a year in it changed to you just got a new cover and could trash the old one or save it.

Have him watch the movie “The DI”, I think it was with Jack Webb as the Drill Instructor at Paris Island. If he laughs, send him, full bore, into the crotch.

Several of the "recruits" were actual Marines. The one they call "Hillbilly" was, in fact, a Technical Sergeant (E-7, equivalent of GySgt these days).

Last edited:
Reactions: jrassy
Sounds like he’s never been under hard stress. You have to be physically fit but the mental aspect is what will break you. Hard to tell before hand. I’ve seen tough looking guys fall apart and whimpy looking weak kids rise to the occasion. I’d say go for it.

And that's the whole point. If one thinks Recruit Training is horrid, what happens in the field (i.e. what you're training for) will be 100 times worse. Some of the tasks you get to do (especially during the "Crucible") are purposely designed to be "not solvable" but will show just how you behave and approach them. They are tests of character, just like in Star Trek II with the Kobiyashi Maru test.

Think of your first night in "Receiving" as a game of "Simon Sez..." on Steroids! :eek: :ROFLMAO:

Forget about the past this is now.
View attachment 8345168
sorry gents.....but a lot of you are living in yesteryear.

i have two sons that are in two different branches currently. i wont say where or what. what i will tell you is that i raised them, and filled them in on what to expect.

BOTH tell me that i would be SORELY disappointed in what the military is today. i am sure many of you are in the same boat as me.

I grew up with a crew of dudes from pre-school to HS graduation. The supposed alpha tough guy of the group (Dude hit maturity and looked 30 at 16) and always peacocking his dominance, well after 4 of us completed boot camp…his ass tried it and pussied out after 3 weeks. “Failure to Adapt” platoon he said. I’d never heard of it. I didn’t even know that was an option…

Years later I was at a USMC ball and ran into a Marine that was tough guy/pussy boys rack mate in boot. Holy shit the odds…anyway Marine told me how bad this fucker cried in his bunk at night and was a complete pussy the entire short time pussy was there.

Anecdote and shit…

Reactions: MarinePMI and TACC
All good info and advice, I wouldn't trade my time in the suck for anything.

But like others have stated you have to completely embrace the suck!

Intimidation , if you can get past that , you will become “ a weapon crying for war “! I worked with some very intimidating Bastards . I saw them to things that no human being should do . It made me a stronger person , and it was drilled into my brain “ when you feel you need to make a stand for what’s right , you got to go with it win , loose or draw , never back down ! “

Reactions: oneshot86 and TACC
What was not to like about boot camp on Parris Island?
Weather was great, food was as good as any highschool cafeteria, some of the best jungle Jim playgrounds, camping, shooting rifles and not having to buy the ammo, beds were kinda comfy, swimming in a pool and jumping from the high dive, a sand box to play in, hiking and running, rappelling was a blast and you get regular hair cuts.
I mean, what other summer camp can you go to and get to throw a real live grenade?
Yes there's someone yelling all the time to hurry up and wait and some bugs but that's a small price for the fun time.

Hard to tell beforehand if someone will quit or not. It’s just a mental game. If they have always been a pussy they will probably fail. It could be the challenge they finally step up to though.

Reactions: TACC