• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes The MIL learning curve.

jcdean

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2012
How steep is the Mil dot learning curve?

MOA/MOA is intuitive to me as that is what I have grown up with, but it is just a way to measure. I am about to drop some cash on another new scope. I want to buy a Mil/Mil. For an old fart would you suggest sticking with what I know or living a little and up my education level?

Hell, I know I am gonna go with the Mil scope. But talk to me about it anyway.

Re: The MIL learning curve.

We have MOA/MOA on our LR handguns and I still find it easier to use but both of our rifles have MIL/MIL. My son picked right up on it with no problems but I still have to carry a chart to do any conversions from inches to tenths of MIL in case I don't see my hit or miss.

Both work well and are just a means of measurement that matches the turret on your scope. Being old Ground Hog hunters we were used to calling shots by target size or inches so MOA/MOA was easy for us to relate to. Just takes a bit of time to learn MIL/MIL and even us Old Farts can pick up on it eventually.

Topstrap

The MOA and the MIL are both a form of angular measure. The MOA stands for Minute of Angle, meaning 1/60th of a degree. This angle just happens to be equal to 1.047" at 100 yds. Easy to remember. The MIL stands for milli-radian, or 1/1000 of a radian. This angle works out to be 3.6" at 100 yds. 3.6" is 1/1000th of 3600", ( 100 yd = 3600" )

Whichever way you go you can build a DOPE card to identify how many clicks, ( 0.1 mil or 1/4 moa ), to adjust the scope. If using mil, you don't have to convert from moa to mil, just do the appropriate calculation for the dimensions you're working with and get mil as the adjustment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcdean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How steep is the Mil dot learning curve? </div></div>

Learning to use mil should not be any more difficult than MOA (granted the fact that you have been using its true value and not 1" per 100 yards). The concept is the same. I believe its useful to be versed in both. There is plenty of good reading on here explaining its values (numerically) and formulas for use in the field.

After you get an understanding, commit as many of the basic values and formulas to rote memorization, the rest should come fairly easily.

I'm in the same boat as you. I think as soon as you drop the "inches" and linear form of thinking and realize that an moa and a mil are used in exactly the same way, the easier the transition will be. Either system will work fine as long as the reticle and turrets match.

no need to do any "conversions" a mil is a mil no matter what the distance is. Once it "clicks" in your head, it makes more sense. I started out thinking in inches and then converting numbers too. None of that is needed when you have a mil/mil scope.

There really isn't a learning curve because the mil system is so simple. More like familiarizing yourself with it.

Think of the mil reticle as basically a measuring stick with a mil divided into tenths. 1 mil is 10 clicks, 10 mils is 100 clicks.

Example...A shot is fired, you or your spotter see the bullet hit a half of a mil right. To correct for the miss either hold a half of a mil left or dial .5 mil left which is also 5 clicks.

Try not to think in inches or feet anymore. Just use a ballistic program to give you the firing solution.

I encourage you to get a FFP scope. Range, holdover, holdoff on any magnification which is "not" the case with a SFP scope.

If I was starting out, I'd go the Mil/Mil route. But I'm not, I
ve been using MOA for over 35 years in competition. I still use the Mil for ranging (with scopes), but I'll stick with MOAs for adjusting in the few years of shooting I have left.

That's just me.

If someone is starting out and ask my opinion, I recommend the Mil/Mil.

Pretty simple logic there. Thanks for making it understandable.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There really isn't a learning curve because the mil system is so simple. More like familiarizing yourself with it.

Think of the mil reticle as basically a measuring stick with a mil divided into tenths. 1 mil is 10 clicks, 10 mils is 100 clicks.

Example...A shot is fired, you or your spotter see the bullet hit a half of a mil right. To correct for the miss either hold a half of a mil left or dial .5 mil left which is also 5 clicks.

Try not to think in inches or feet anymore. Just use a ballistic program to give you the firing solution.

I encourage you to get a FFP scope. Range, holdover, holdoff on any magnification which is "not" the case with a SFP scope.

</div></div>