• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The "New" Barrett MRAD Thread!!!!!!

I haven't used it with the MRAD - sorry! I have used it for everything else including my MR762 (ever sit on a breaker bar? šŸ¤£) but I use the factory Mk22 muzzle with the Mk22 suppressor.
Thays good enough for me. Thank you! I appreciate it! Just ordered it

You're welcome! I'm nothing if not the paragon of fine decision making šŸ˜€

IMG_0184.jpg

I'd like to get something in between the 308 and the 338 lapua, but I'd also like to get a little more life out of the barrel. It looks like I'd have to buy the kit to get at least the bolt face if I wanted 300 norma mag correct? I could buy a Maker's kit and the different mag, but I haven't seen where you can buy the bolt face. 308 is a little anemic and 338 lapua is pretty expensive to shoot. So I'd need the conversion kit, the makers kit, and then have the barrel spun up in ModBB. That would at least give me 2 barrels for shooting at 1000+ I guess. What is turn around time on those?

Last edited:
You're welcome! I'm nothing if not the paragon of fine decision making šŸ˜€

View attachment 8274618
So walk me through what the MK22 suppressor actually does for the locking collar. Does the lock just sit behind the threads? As far as I can tell there is no secondary retention interface on my MK22 muzzle brake comparing it to my Thunderbeast 338 SR muzzle brakes.

I'd like to get something in between the 308 and the 338 lapua, but I'd also like to get a little more life out of the barrel. It looks like I'd have to buy the kit to get at least the bolt face if I wanted 300 norma mag correct? I could buy a Maker's kit and the different mag, but I haven't seen where you can buy the bolt face. 308 is a little anemic and 338 lapua is pretty expensive to shoot. So I'd need the conversion kit, the makers kit, and then have the barrel spun up in ModBB. That would at least give me 2 barrels for shooting at 1000+ I guess. What is turn around time on those?

Double check prices on 300NM before you move forward! It's ridiculous right now - like $6/round. I have a factory 300NM and bought a 300WM barrel last week to cut ammo costs by 60-80%. I'd also love to know more about builder kits for the future, though!

So walk me through what the MK22 suppressor actually does for the locking collar. Does the lock just sit behind the threads? As far as I can tell there is no secondary retention interface on my MK22 muzzle brake comparing it to my Thunderbeast 338 SR muzzle brakes.

It's the rear taper on the muzzle device. Unlike some dual taper designs, this isn't used for alignment. Instead, the collar on the suppressor uses the surface to effectively stop rotation. The suppressor has very little wiggle on the threads and seems to fully mate/align in the last 75% of a turn with absolutely no movement that I can detect. With the collar engaged, I can only unscrew the suppressor maybe 10% of a turn by hand before I lose my grip. Basically jamming the collar into the rear taper at this point which you can see in the wear marks on my muzzle.

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

Reactions: thedude824
I am in Idaho with lots of BLM land available and am able to shoot reguarly out to a mile with the 300 PRC. I felt the 300PRC was the best balance between between price and capability. The 300 NM can beat the PRC but not by a whole lot. I look at the PRC as a 300 win mag improved and I shoot 220 Berger @2850fps. This works very well with good barrel life. If it matters I use Spartain rifle, and he does have those kits available.

Double check prices on 300NM before you move forward! It's ridiculous right now - like $6/round. I have a factory 300NM and bought a 300WM barrel last week to cut ammo costs by 60-80%. I'd also love to know more about builder kits for the future, though!

It's the rear taper on the muzzle device. Unlike some dual taper designs, this isn't used for alignment. Instead, the collar on the suppressor uses the surface to effectively stop rotation. The suppressor has very little wiggle on the threads and seems to fully mate/align in the last 75% of a turn with absolutely no movement that I can detect. With the collar engaged, I can only unscrew the suppressor maybe 10% of a turn by hand before I lose my grip. Basically jamming the collar into the rear taper at this point which you can see in the wear marks on my muzzle.

View attachment 8275102

View attachment 8275103
Got it. I appreciate the info. As what I was expecting. Have you compared to any TBAC cans for noise reduction?

I am in Idaho with lots of BLM land available and am able to shoot reguarly out to a mile with the 300 PRC. I felt the 300PRC was the best balance between between price and capability. The 300 NM can beat the PRC but not by a whole lot. I look at the PRC as a 300 win mag improved and I shoot 220 Berger @2850fps. This works very well with good barrel life. If it matters I use Spartain rifle, and he does have those kits available.
I greatly appreciate the insight! Admittedly I just assumed the 300NM would be much cheaper (I load my own), but I remember reading the 300PRC has much better barrel life. Maybe to the point where a spare barrel wouldn't be an immediate concern? How many rounds do you expect from a reasonable load for 300PRC? Im not looking to push the envelope.

I greatly appreciate the insight! Admittedly I just assumed the 300NM would be much cheaper (I load my own), but I remember reading the 300PRC has much better barrel life. Maybe to the point where a spare barrel wouldn't be an immediate concern? How many rounds do you expect from a reasonable load for 300PRC? Im not looking to push the envelope.
I'm thinking 1700rds on the PRC. But depends on how hard you push. I use Lapua brass and everything has been easy for load development, finding components, etc. 300NM costs more with a bigger hit to barrel life. I like to shoot the 308 barrel and then swap out to the PRC for long range days.

I'm thinking 1700rds on the PRC. But depends on how hard you push. I use Lapua brass and everything has been easy for load development, finding components, etc. 300NM costs more with a bigger hit to barrel life. I like to shoot the 308 barrel and then swap out to the PRC for long range days.
That sounds like the solution. I can use the Retumbo and magnum large rifle primers while cases and bullets cost half as much. Thank you!

What is the forward attachment on the Mark 5 scope in this picture?
I emailed Leupold thinking it was an ARD but they said they don't make an ARD?
I checked Tenebraex too but their ARD is smooth polymer and this one looks anodized with a knurled section.
If anyone knows the details on this bit please let me know
Thanks
Carso

Attachments

• moo.jpg
    moo.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 136
The non SOCOM issue MK22 that comes with the Leupold mk5hd has an anti laser protection filter lens. Thatā€™s what you are looking at. It gives a pinkish hue to the image but can be unscrewed and removed from in front of the objective lens.

Not an ARD.
Awesome!

Thanks for the info mate, appreciate it

Carso

I know there is a separate thread on it, but I knew nothing about it until I saw an ad in Ballistic Mag. You guys heard about the MRADELR? Seems weird they would publish the ad and then remove all mention of it from their website. As cool as an MRAD .416 Barrett would be, I'm still not sure I would be okay with $10 brass. I like to have 200 rounds of each caliber as a back up so do the math.

On another note, I had another maker's kit lying around and decided to do a shorter barreled 41XC. My Cadex 41XC is 33-inch plus T-5 brake so I'm thinking 26 to 29" for the MRAD barrel with a threaded .50cal suppressor. Of course less velocity and unburned powder is a given, but more handy for a shorter range heavy hitter. Unfortunately, I haven't been shooting forever. I've been spending every weekend trying to finish my overlanding build before spring.

I know there is a separate thread on it, but I knew nothing about it until I saw an ad in Ballistic Mag. You guys heard about the MRADELR? Seems weird they would publish the ad and then remove all mention of it from their website. As cool as an MRAD .416 Barrett would be, I'm still not sure I would be okay with $10 brass. I like to have 200 rounds of each caliber as a back up so do the math.

On another note, I had another maker's kit lying around and decided to do a shorter barreled 41XC. My Cadex 41XC is 33-inch plus T-5 brake so I'm thinking 26 to 29" for the MRAD barrel with a threaded .50cal suppressor. Of course less velocity and unburned powder is a given, but more handy for a shorter range heavy hitter. Unfortunately, I haven't been shooting forever. I've been spending every weekend trying to finish my overlanding build before spring.
What grain bullets are you using and what fps do you expect with the 41XC? I just shot my MRAD for the first time yesterday and I'm absolutely in love. Im taking the MRAD and the M82 to the only 1k range I know of within 500 miles next Friday as long as either the 300 PRC conversion or the 338 lapua brass arrives in time.

What grain bullets are you using and what fps do you expect with the 41XC? I just shot my MRAD for the first time yesterday and I'm absolutely in love. Im taking the MRAD and the M82 to the only 1k range I know of within 500 miles next Friday as long as either the 300 PRC conversion or the 338 lapua brass arrives in time.
505gr Warner Flatline. Getting 2870fps from my 33" Cadex build. Figuring I'd get 2700 to 2750 with a 26 or 29" barrel.

Any thoughts on why the 338 Norma barrels are marked down so much right now?
Their store page is still utter garbage (despite them saying they'd fix it a few months ago) but my understanding is 10% off kits are the newest generation, Mk22 era, barrels. The 25% off kits are the previous generation that need a something from the barrel conversion kit for both first-gen and current-gen rifles - basically a closeout sale. There's a post in the last 5 pages I believe that outlines the best understanding we have on the matter unfortunately there's still some inconsistency and I receive conflicting answers from Barrett whenever I ask questions šŸ™ƒ

ETA post is here

Their store page is still utter garbage (despite them saying they'd fix it a few months ago) but my understanding is 10% off kits are the newest generation, Mk22 era, barrels. The 25% off kits are the previous generation that need a something from the barrel conversion kit for both first-gen and current-gen rifles - basically a closeout sale. There's a post in the last 5 pages I believe that outlines the best understanding we have on the matter unfortunately there's still some inconsistency and I receive conflicting answers from Barrett whenever I ask questions šŸ™ƒ

ETA post is here
This helps some. Caught up on the posts. So I broke down and bought the 338 Norma barrel on sale.

It is an 18x serial number with a notched bolt and what Iā€™m calling the mk22 muzzle device?

It works on my CJ MRAD with no issues but by all accounts wouldnā€™t this be a MK22 conversion kit?

Interestingly, the instructions explain set up with both the old bolt assembly and the newer tool less assembly with captive bolt pin.

Pics next to an older 300 win mag barrel and bolt.

So is this a newer ā€œMK22ā€ barrel conversion kit? All my older kits have the smooth bolt and old muzzle device.

Secondly, I think the revised bolt assembly is a major improvement. It would appear the newer assembly is whit captive bolt pin and toolless takedown is what you would receive if you ordered a large to small breech conversion kit currently as advertised online. Is this accurate? Worth the 400 bucks for the upgrades? I realize the older barrel bolts wonā€™t work with the captive bolt pin. Anybody mill a notch to make a bolt compatible?

Attachments

• IMG_0077.jpeg
    IMG_0077.jpeg
    382.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0078.jpeg
    IMG_0078.jpeg
    376 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0079.jpeg
    IMG_0079.jpeg
    360 KB · Views: 44

Barrett MRAD ELR 416​

I just have to say meh. 10k, one caliber, fixed stock. Hard pass for now. Lower the price to 8k (still overpriced) with availability of multiple calibers down to 308 (not hard to do imop) and I would buy one tomorrow and sell the mrad.

I just have to say meh. 10k, one caliber, fixed stock. Hard pass for now. Lower the price to 8k (still overpriced) with availability of multiple calibers down to 308 (not hard to do imop) and I would buy one tomorrow and sell the mrad.
On EuroOptic's site it says that they have caliber conversions. The 375 enabler is mentioned.
I paid 8k for my M82 a few years ago. It also came with a Vortex PST 5-25X50 in Barrett rings. It would definitely have been worth it to me to go with this especially if it can be converted to 50 cal all the way down to the 375 calibers.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the minimum length of pull is on the MRAD? I can't find that information anyhwere

I really feel like the 41XC is very close in performance to the 416 Barrett at comparable barrel lengths so the price of admission for the full MRADELR is exorbitant compared to a standard MRAD barrel kit in 41XC. The only things you give up from the 416 is the ability to mag feed, a heavier rifle, an overbore cartridge (shorter barrel life), and $10 brass. Southern Precision is working on a 41XC maker's kit for me. Trying to decide between a 24 or 26" Barrel to keep it "compact". My 33" Cadex is doing 2865-75 fps with the WF 505gr. Hoping the 26" would be in the ballpark of 2650-2700fps which is still in "beast" territory.

Reactions: schmi015
Itā€™s stupid long. Look at where everyoneā€™s scopes are mounted and you can tell.
Yeah that's what made me ask. I was tossing up between the MRAD and the AI AXSR and chose MRAD. It's on it's way to my local but now i'm wondering if I made a bad choice. My normal LOP is 13.5". Is there a reason it's so long?

Yeah that's what made me ask. I was tossing up between the MRAD and the AI AXSR and chose MRAD. It's on it's way to my local but now i'm wondering if I made a bad choice. My normal LOP is 13.5". Is there a reason it's so long?
The people using it are all built like gorillas? I honestly donā€™t know why itā€™s so long. Iā€™d prefer something like 12.5ā€ with a 2-3ā€ adjustment range TBQH.

• Haha
Reactions: Zigjib
I have both platforms. Let me know if you have any questions to compare.

The people using it are all built like gorillas? I honestly donā€™t know why itā€™s so long. Iā€™d prefer something like 12.5ā€ with a 2-3ā€ adjustment range TBQH.
Yup, i'd like the same.

Interestingly the M98B was 13.375" so, somewhere along the line, Barrett decided to make it longer. The stock was redesigned so it's not simply the folding mechanism adding .625" to the LOP. I'm curious if it's an external factor like the way rifles are used by snipers in the military or glass getting bigger and eye relief getting longer?

Interestingly the M98B was 13.375" so, somewhere along the line, Barrett decided to make it longer. The stock was redesigned so it's not simply the folding mechanism adding .625" to the LOP. I'm curious if it's an external factor like the way rifles are used by snipers in the military or glass getting bigger and eye relief getting longer?
Could be a combination of those factors mate.

i'm used to older doctrine (that horrendous mid period where we were clipping in on tripods and teaching Hawkins and the height is somewhere between being about to fall asleep and propped up to check your phone) and all my pers guns are 13-13.5".

No one i've spoken to has said they were uncomfortable firing the MRAD.

I've just had an epiphany....

Maybe i'm just getting to that age where i'm seeing the new stuff come through and it doesn't make sense to me so I immediately freak out and tell it to get off my lawn....

which grip is that?

thanks

MKM Adaptive Precision Grip​

Reactions: Hostile_SS