• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The new Bat Tactical Actions (BTA) just arrived!

JamieD

Wolf Precision, Inc.
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2007
Johnstown,pa
www.wolfprecision.net
I have been working on this project for a while and it has finally turned into a product. This is the new BTA or Bat Tactical Action.

Specs:
True drop fit Remington 700 cloned action
Repeater
SS Action
Chrome Moly Bolt
Welded, threaded handle with Tactical Bolt Knob
Integral 20 moa rail
Integral recoil lug
Fluted bolt body
Side bolt stop relaese
t-slot extractor
Salt Bath Nitrided / Melonite

IMG_8898.jpg

IMG_8873.jpg

IMG_8888.jpg

IMG_8882.jpg

IMG_8890.jpg

IMG_8881.jpg

IMG_8896.jpg

Special thanks to Bruce and Darrel at Bat Actions for all the work and time spent with me getting this action up and running. I also spent some time talking with Frank (LowLight) and will have one coming to him for testing soon. Our goal was to have a true drop fit Bat Action that will fit into any Remington inletted stock with little to no modification. And to have a very accurate (kept tolerences the same as the benchrest actions) field worthy tactical/hunting action. We did have to make one modification to the recoil lug (making it a Parallel design) to fit into the AX chassis, those will start arriving in July. The first 20 will fit into everything else including the AICS. Will be available in .223, .308, WSM, Long action 30-06, 300WM and .338 Lapua. Can't wait to get the first one in action. It is really a neat feeling to go from idea to a finished product in hand - Thanks again Bruce and Darrel.

JamieD

All Hogs Go to Heaven

Re: The new Bat Tactical Actions (BTA) just arrived!

Wow looks very nice! If it runs like the BAT benchrest actions then it will be slick. I wish someone would come out with a 3 lug I would be all over it.

What's a estimate on price? When will they be avaialble for purchase?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish someone would come out with a 3 lug I would be all over it. </div></div>Agreed.

Those actions do look nice, though.
cool.gif

Thanks All,
We looked at the three lug and it was the route I really wanted to go, but feeding 100% of the time was an issue. Caming power was another. Decided to stay with two lugs for proven performance and reliability. Just got the first ten in yesterday and it never ceases to amaze me how smooth Bat Actions are.

They run $1485 for the short actions and $1535 for the longs.

JamieD

Well looks like another reason to build another rifle

Any chance of one that feeds from AIAW mags?

That looks like a nice action.

However, much like the 591's the rail stops at the front of the action. I don't suppose it would be possible to make one so that there is a longer rail section much like a Badger on a R700 or an RSR? With the S&B's and PH's on a short action I find that getting the front ring out just a bit helps with the placement of the glass for proper eye relief.

Them look sweet. Sure wished I had the money and the means to get that SN001 away from you
smile.gif

Are the clearances tight like a benchrest rifle? Or is there more room for dirt/combustion products, etc?

Appears to be a stainless steel version of the Surgeon, looks very excellent. I like the welded bolt handles, that is a much more efficient design than making the bolt out of one piece.

s

Wow, beautiful. I'm liking everything about this action.
(tagging for future reference).

I have a BAT short action and long action. Both with 5x25 S&Bs. My short action has Seekins rings and a Holland bubble level, It fits just fine. (No room to spare though)

The BAT actions are SMOOTH!!! The nitride IMO makes them even better!
I LOVE mine

I would not coat the inside of the action. Leave the nitride alone. One of mine has the inside coated and the bolt left alone. It is nice but The ceracoat will have to wear to equal the smoothness of the other one

Congrats on the actions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish someone would come out with a 3 lug I would be all over it.</div></div>

BAT makes a very nice 3 lug action with an integrated recoil lug and 20 MOA rail, the only issue I found with it was that it is an non standard inlet.

Thanks all,
There is a couple things we did different in trying to make them a lot more tolerable to the elements and enviroment. But Bruce, Darrel and myself were all on the same page that we could do it without changing the tolerences that make the BR actions so accurate.

I have a couple left, most of the first batch were pre-sold. It should be a regular stocking item as things progress. Just a little slow until everything starts rolling.

I am pretty excited to get the first ones together and to the range. I can not get over how slick they run. My plan is to have one to Frank here before too long and have him run it through its paces and see how we did.

JamieD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish someone would come out with a 3 lug I would be all over it.</div></div>

BAT makes a very nice 3 lug action with an integrated recoil lug and 20 MOA rail, the only issue I found with it was that it is an non standard inlet. </div></div>

They don't make the 3 lug in a repeater. Wish they would.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John L</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish someone would come out with a 3 lug I would be all over it.</div></div>

BAT makes a very nice 3 lug action with an integrated recoil lug and 20 MOA rail, the only issue I found with it was that it is an non standard inlet. </div></div>

They don't make the 3 lug in a repeater. Wish they would.</div></div>

Yes, they do, I had a rifle built on one

bat%2520001.jpeg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John L</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish someone would come out with a 3 lug I would be all over it.</div></div>

They don't make the 3 lug in a repeater. Wish they would.</div></div>

Yes, they do, I had a rifle built on one
</div></div>
Well hell's bells I emailed them about 4 months ago asking if the 3 lug action came in a repeater version. The reply was no they did not.

I was in the same boat, I knew they made a 3 lug action but didnt know it came as a repeater option. The BAT actions are one of the best I have ever seen or used, but they have just never configured one for my style of shooting after getting out of the benchrest game. Its an other great option for a field precision / tactical rifle build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamieD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks all,
There is a couple things we did different in trying to make them a lot more tolerable to the elements and enviroment. But Bruce, Darrel and myself were all on the same page that we could do it without changing the tolerences that make the BR actions so accurate.
</div></div>

Jamie,

I will probably buy one of these, only concern are the clearances, not the tolerances. For a non-BR action I would want more clearances between some of the parts, but tight tolerances.

I look forward to the Lowlight review.

-Steve

I have been running their VRPIC for years in tactical matches and hunting. Never any problems or issues. Mine is Melonited.

Picture2011.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin Chen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">great post </div></div>

Enjoy your banishment Kevin.... 84 posts in a day? Don't jack up the threads with your crap.

Very nice work.

Sorry if I missed it...

Will these be available in left handed versions as well?

-Rick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c1steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamieD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks all,
</div></div>

Jamie,

I will probably buy one of these, only concern are the clearances, not the tolerances. For a non-BR action I would want more clearances between some of the parts, but tight tolerances.

I look forward to the Lowlight review.

-Steve</div></div>
+1. Can you elaborate on the clearances?

Sure and I understand and agree,
The answer really is yes and no, we did not change the lock up clearance when it comes to the bolt body and the bolt bore raceway. They are the same as the BR models .0025 total clearance before coatings. That is one area that all of us agreed we did not want to change.
That said, we felt there were several other area's we could address that would improve the actions ability to deal with more harsh field conditions and still function and perform. Without going into too many details, I think we made what really was a good field action to begin with (with proper care and maintenance) and made it even better. If I can, I will post up more details on this later after talking with and getting approval from Bruce and Darrel at Bat first - I hope you understand.

JamieD

I have a bat vrpic. It's a sa repeater with integral rail. I used it in conditions where heavy wind was blowing sand and dirt all over my rifle and action. I did my best to keep sand from getting into the action. The little bit that did, didn't cause me any problems.

tag - looks like a great option for new 260 build

How does the primary extraction compare to something like a Defiance or Stiller?

i personally feel that the clearance between the bolt body and receiver bore is a moot point when it comes to field reliability, that is until you give debris a way to force into the bearing areas, ie. fluting the body. if you have 6 thousandths of clearance on a smooth body, only material smaller than 6 thousandths will be able to get into it. if you have 2.5 thousandths, only debris smaller than 2.5 thousandths can get in. with a smooth dry bolt body, debris should fall off before it gets into the bearing areas. when you run grease on the body or worse (in my opinion) flute the bolt, it is far more likely for debris a way to be forced into the bearing areas. i feel a bolt body should be able to cycle just fine dry and free from grease. sure flutes on a bolt body in the ejection port area make the girls wet but for a field rifle, i think they are worthless, if not potentially detrimental to reliability. that said, i have bolts both ways and haven't locked up either one because i did or didn't have flutes. i do run the bolts bodies free of grease and will build on non-fluted bolts in the future.

now i am not convinced that a tighter bolt body to receiver bore clearance is necessarily bad thing as far as reliability, i do have a rifle with (going off memory) .007" of bolt body to receiver bore clearance and it shoots far better than is required of any tactical or field rifle. i am convinced that a looser, more oem remington like clearance is not going to cause a missed shot in a field or tactical match situation.

clearance in other areas are far more critical as far as field reliability in my opinion. the only time i've been unable to get a bolt action fully into battery was because debris was in the bolt nose counterbore. in my situation, it wouldn't have mattered if there was .002" or .020" of clearance between the bolt nose and end of the counterbore, the debris was large enough to lock it up either way. i'm not going to run .002" of clearance anywhere in the counterbore though.

this is a fine looking action though. i'd personally skip the flutes but i know people expect an aftermarket action to have them and people like me are a very small part of the market.

Thanks all,
No left hand verstions yet. The t-stlot extractor actually slips underneath part of the bolt nose making it stronger and less likely to fail.

IMAG0178.jpg

The flutes are a hit and miss with different folks as far as looks go. There are a couple reasons we went this route. One was to allow any dirt or debri a place to swipe to while working the bolt. Not allowing it to wipe into the lock up areas in the action as much, another is less surface friction/bearing surface while opening and closing the bolt. All in good faith to help the action in the field.

JamieD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i personally feel that the clearance between the bolt body and receiver bore is a moot point when it comes to field reliability, that is until you give debris a way to force into the bearing areas, ie. fluting the body. if you have 6 thousandths of clearance on a smooth body, only material smaller than 6 thousandths will be able to get into it. if you have 2.5 thousandths, only debris smaller than 2.5 thousandths can get in. with a smooth dry bolt body, debris should fall off before it gets into the bearing areas. when you run grease on the body or worse (in my opinion) flute the bolt, it is far more likely for debris a way to be forced into the bearing areas. i feel a bolt body should be able to cycle just fine dry and free from grease. sure flutes on a bolt body in the ejection port area make the girls wet but for a field rifle, i think they are worthless, if not potentially detrimental to reliability. that said, i have bolts both ways and haven't locked up either one because i did or didn't have flutes. i do run the bolts bodies free of grease and will build on non-fluted bolts in the future.

now i am not convinced that a tighter bolt body to receiver bore clearance is necessarily bad thing as far as reliability, i do have a rifle with (going off memory) .007" of bolt body to receiver bore clearance and it shoots far better than is required of any tactical or field rifle. i am convinced that a looser, more oem remington like clearance is not going to cause a missed shot in a field or tactical match situation.

clearance in other areas are far more critical as far as field reliability in my opinion. the only time i've been unable to get a bolt action fully into battery was because debris was in the bolt nose counterbore. in my situation, it wouldn't have mattered if there was .002" or .020" of clearance between the bolt nose and end of the counterbore, the debris was large enough to lock it up either way. i'm not going to run .002" of clearance anywhere in the counterbore though.

this is a fine looking action though. i'd personally skip the flutes but i know people expect an aftermarket action to have them and people like me are a very small part of the market. </div></div>

I could not disagree more, IMO the flutes are what keeps a tight tolerance action working. this gives the grit a place to go. the flutes wisk away the dirt and grime.

I think the tight tolerances of the BAT action with sprial flutes is a non issue. mine has no coating on the bolt or the action I don't see how it has any more issues than a stock remington would. I have purposely waited to wipe off the bolt and I don't see a difference between it and a factory rifle. the BAT is a stud of an action, the one I have is my most prized rifle I own. the recoil lug is different on a bat, I don't care all my guns get bedded anyways.

one thing I would change on the BAT action is the bolt release sticks out quite a bit in my application beyond the edge of the stock. in my application I like to keep my bolt open and mag full alot. I worry about the bolt being accidently released. a little machining of the back corner would fix that.

on a non fluted bolt, how does "grit" large enough to cause a malfunction get into the bearing surface between a bolt body and receiver bore? sure, if grit happens to be in there, flutes give it somewhere to go. i'd rather not let it in there in the first place. with only 2.5 thousandths of clearance, any debris that may have settled on the bolt body (keep in mind, it will be very little because there is no <span style="font-style: italic">shelf</span> for it to sit on) will be wiped off when the bolt is cycled.

i'm still waiting for someone to tell me that they locked up an action or had a malfunction because the bolt body wasn't fluted in the ejection port area.

Remember that every action design that has raceways for the lugs offers a huge hole for crap to access the lugs and lug seats.

Just look down the side of any two lug action and you can see down the right lug path. Flutted bolt or not, this open area allows direct access right up to the front nose of the bolt and allows crap to fall down to the bottom lugseat.

The BigHorn actions have a Savage type gas block/guide behind the bolt lugs that also effectively blocks access to this critical area.

Just a thought....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remember that every action design that has raceways for the lugs offers a huge hole for crap to access the lugs and lug seats.

Just look down the side of any two lug action and you can see down the right lug path. Flutted bolt or not, this open area allows direct access right up to the front nose of the bolt and allows crap to fall down to the bottom lugseat.

The BigHorn actions have a Savage type gas block/guide behind the bolt lugs that also effectively blocks access to this critical area.

Just a thought.... </div></div>
So is a Weatherby Mark V action that doesn't have lug raceways a cleaner running action?

yes ranger that is correct with the weatherby, Accuracy international and badger 2008 use the exact same design also.

what they provide is less places to get shit in there

So Jamie... You gonna bring one of your new actions to Reade this weekend?

I am hopefull that I will be able to come out and hang out a little on Sunday Afternoon, but had to cancel out on the match, going to be a really busy month : ) I will bring one with me!

Good luck at the match!

Jamie

Regarding the bolt and its ability to function in the field, we did several things. A couple include...

1. everything was melonited - including firing pin and cocking piece.

2.SS action and CM bolt

3.Flutes

4.there is an additional cut in the action bolt bore raceway in the back (I'll get a picture up later) the entire length of the bolts flutes. This will keep things from wedging while opening the bolt, also serves as a wipe and allows way more clearance as the bolt is worked back and forth. It is really slick and works really well. I just wanted to speak with Bat first to make sure it was alright to post. We did all this while still keeping the lock up the same as all Bat Actions.

I'll get some pics up later tonight.

Lastly, yes they are available in Left hand!

JamieD

Sweet. It is going to be my Xmas gift

so you sent one to LL to try out. How's about you send me one to "try out"? The only difference being, I will need to continuously try it out for an extended period of time. Sending it back would preclude me from producing accurate data about this instrument. I believe a good 50-70 years should suffice. PM me for my address.

BTW - you're welcome, and yes, I will do all of this for nothing!

The things I must do to help others...

wink.gif

Regarding the melonite treatment, does it reduce the need for lubricants? If it does, how does it compare to ionbond?

-Steve

There is a lot of good articles written out there but in short the main differance is that the Salt Bath Nitride / Melonite actually hardens the surfaces a couple thousanths deep into the metal. Where Ionbond is just a coating.

The Salt bath nitride / Melonite is so hard in fact that all machining should be done before the process. What this does is help the hardened surfaces, like the bolt and action, run smoother together with less friction and chance of gulling if ran dry. The black is a bi-product of the process and even if worn off - the harder surface underneath still carries the properties you are looking for.

It is a very expensive process exspecially when we did everything, including the firing pin, cocking piece, shroud ect. But the field benifits outway the cost.

JamieD

Actions look awesome Jamie!!

My BAT HRPIC for my .300 Win Mag build should be here in a month or so - I had it nitrided also.

Is this based off the HRRPTRPIC ??