• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The new hotness build commences: AR for PRS Gas Gun

mikeshaw2

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2022
NoVA for now
I've got the itch to build another AR. This one for gas gun PRS matches

I'm (still) on a budget, so no super high end stuff for me!

Aero upper and 15" handguard are on their way.

Next choice is barrel. I'm leaning towards a Ranier .223 Match barrel, but am open to suggestions. .224 Valkyrie appeals. So does 6ARC except for the cost/round and limited reloading options.

Pics as the new hotness gets built

M

Reactions: YN*Dotte
What are PRS match distances these days? I’d be concerned about targets 700 yards and out with a .223REM. Yeah, 77gr will get you there, but I haven’t had much luck further and splash/misses became really hard to see.

Reactions: rpoL98 and FatBoy
What are PRS match distances these days? I’d be concerned about targets 700 yards and out with a .223REM. Yeah, 77gr will get you there, but I haven’t had much luck further and splash/misses became really hard to see.
The range I shoot that match on goes to ?500? ?600? Most targets are in the 200-400 yd range

I hear rumors of them cutting out the woodline for a little farther, but I can't outshoot my rifles now, much less something more accurate. ...which is the plan for this one.

I don't *NEED* a new rifle, but I want a new rifle. ...which is how I ended up with 10 bicycles in the garage. That's down from 14

M

Reactions: Maxwell
If you want small frame I would go Valkyrie all day. We’ve got one that shoots 90 SMks pretty much the same velocity the 5.56 shoots 77s and it’s stupid accurate. People say the Valkyrie is finicky but ours has never given me any trouble other than beating brass up a little bit. It’s suppressed 100% of the time though. I did have an issue with it breaking 88 ELD tips when we first started loading it but that’s what led me to swap to the 90s and that turned out to be a good thing.

I think some matches still have gas divisions, right?

if sticking with factory availability, get a 6 arc in a small frame or a 6 creed in a large. If you're loading, the world is your oyster.

My 6mm predator, that's a copy of a 6mm grendel, that's a tiny bit longer than the 6 arc, has damn near the same drops with 90s as my 6.5 creed does with 143s.

Gas Gun division is still a thing… depends on the match but not a ton of guys competing with them at this point, at least in PRS.

There are a number of other non-PRS sanctioned series depending on where you live too. Geissele and IWI both hold regular matches in PA, Quantified Performance has a more national footprint, not to mention some of the team/sniper matches that have a gas gun element to them too. I’m sure there are other more local/regional series in different parts of the country.

Still opportunities to shoot precision gas guns, though I’d say there’s been a significant shift the last couple years towards more Recce/DMR type COFs, time-based scoring, etc. rather than straight up points matches.

Reactions: deersniper

Next choice is barrel. I'm leaning towards a Ranier .223 Match barrel, but am open to suggestions. .224 Valkyrie appeals. So does 6ARC except for the cost/round and limited reloading options.

WOA offers a nice house barrel that’s affordable.
complete uppers

Reactions: GUNNER10
WOA offers a nice house barrel that’s affordable.
complete uppers
I would lean towards something like this in .223/556 with a bartlien barrel, before I would jump into the oddball small frame AR world.

If you start missing shots at the outer limits of 556, I would then start exploring wierd options.

Pretty sure PRS gas gun series died like 4 years ago because nobody was shooting them and most of the ones that were shooting were butthurt that there was actually movement as well as pistol shooting and it wasn’t just positional benchrest off of a game changer while seeing how many legs of your tripod you could stuff up your keister.

The couple I shot were fucking awesome, wish it would make a come back along with field style matches.

If they came back I’d build another 224V with a Craddock barrel shooting 95SMK’s and get back into it. The one I built before was stupid consistent to 1200 yards.

Don't question it, just do the 6ARC thing. If you absolutely want do that, go 6.5 Grendel. Lots of ammo (if theres even such a thing anymore), components, data, equipment, etc.

I'm a member of the QSC and shoot/have shot the Quantico PRS matches with a LR in .243 Win. Currently I'm undecided on shooting the 24 July match due to family commitments. I also have a second LR 308 for PRS/long range shooting. Both are built on Aero Precision receivers and have 24" X-caliber barrels. The LR 243 is my favorite. PM me if you want to try either of them out one of these weekends.

Have a buddy in NJ with a long barrel AR in 6.5 Grendel that is a really nice shooter. Never did a ballistic comparison between the different AR15 cartridges but I'm sure they are out there.

Last edited:
Yep, pretty sure the dedicated prs gas gun series died. It’s just a division in standard matches now. Maybe quantified performance would be the closest thing currently?

I'm a member of the QSC and shoot/have shot the Quantico PRS matches with a LR in .243 Win. Currently I'm undecided on shooting the 24 July match due to family commitments. I also have a second LR 308 for PRS/long range shooting. Both are built on Aero Precision receivers and have 24" X-caliber barrels. The LR 243 is my favorite. PM me if you want to try either of them out one of these weekends.

Have a buddy in NJ with a long barrel AR in 6.5 Grendel that is a really nice shooter. Never did a ballistic comparison between the different AR15 cartridges but I'm sure they are out there.
I'll take you up on that offer at some point. For the time being, I'm trying to get better with what I have. (sorta. I'm obviously trying to buy some accuracy)

We should get together some weekend that isn't a MARS match or gas gun match and send lead downrange.

I need the practice!

M

I'll take you up on that offer at some point. For the time being, I'm trying to get better with what I have. (sorta. I'm obviously trying to buy some accuracy)

We should get together some weekend that isn't a MARS match or gas gun match and send lead downrange.

I need the practice!

M
Yeah, I am swamped the next 3 weekends, but I may be at the members meeting Saturday. Get together early August? Name is Ty.

I shoot at a private range that has gas gun matches frequently . It is not a square flat range most shot's are shooting from one hill side across a valley to the next . shots are from around 250-700 yds and I have seen everything from 5.56 to 308 including all the boutique rounds for small frame AR's . 99% of the time a 223/5.56 will win the match . I did see a guy Clean the match with a 224 VALKYRIE , but the same guy shoot's a mk12 5.56 and when he show's up up might as well plan on finishing lower in the score's . He is hell on wheel's what ever he shoot's .

Just wait until they show up wrong, incomplete, or pilfered by UPS
BTDT with bicycle parts

M

edited to add: ejection port cover and forward assist got here today. A preemtively ordered Smith and Wesson lower parts kit also got here. Waiting on the Aero stuff cause they're farther away

Last edited:
I've been saying "think I'll build a 20" 6ARC/224V/6.5G as soon as brass starts showing up again" for 2 solid years now...

...still waiting.
I've been doing some digging into a bolt-action PRS rifle. 6BR seems to be 'the ticket' but brass and ammo seem to be lacking. ...so I'm in the same basic boat.

I don't quite know if 6ARC is similar enough to call that good or not. Opinions seem to be varying...

Regardless, the answer I'm seeing is 'wait a bit and see.'

M

I've been doing some digging into a bolt-action PRS rifle. 6BR seems to be 'the ticket' but brass and ammo seem to be lacking. ...so I'm in the same basic boat.

I don't quite know if 6ARC is similar enough to call that good or not. Opinions seem to be varying...

Regardless, the answer I'm seeing is 'wait a bit and see.'

M

I think, even considering how f’ed up the supply chain is these days, putting a bolt-gun together is an easier proposition.

There are other cartridges that'll do what 6BR does. I've stuck with 6mm Creedmoor through the last couple of years on purpose instead of moving to "the new hotness" that is currently 6GT or something more fancy (and more of a pain in the ass) like 6BR or Dasher. All the 6mm bolt-gun usual suspects will pretty much do the same things out to ~1000yrds depending on how you load for them. (That said, @reubenski is correct, 223 bolt-gun is pretty f'ing awesome.)

With the newer hot-shit AR's, specifically traditional 223/556-size guns, a 224V/6ARC/6.5G equals a whole bunch more range and capability for not much more cheddar over running a steady diet of Mk262/77gr stuff (if we can ever get a hold of f'ing brass again that is)... lol 😛

I want one to go back and forth with while my bolt-gun is cooling off, my home range goes out to 1250 yards so... lol.

the appeal to a 223 bolt gun is I already have the stuff to reload that and you can find brass anywhere

The downsides are listed in a bunch of places.

M

Every time I hear "ex-marine" I think of someone with a barb wire tattoo showing under their sleeveless flannel shirt and a molon labe sticker on their Cummins
There’s no such thing as an “ex-Marine”. Once a Marine, always a Marine.

You forgot the crayons part though. And the EGA tattoo.

there was a crayon eater posting on FB the other day. Thought he was all that and a bag of chips

Not as smart as he thought he was...

So if we're talking 223 bolt guns for a few minutes: which one?

M

there was a crayon eater posting on FB the other day. Thought he was all that and a bag of chips

Not as smart as he thought he was...

So if we're talking 223 bolt guns for a few minutes: which one?

M
Easy button. Bighorn Origin in a KRG Bravo with a profit. Then when you want to shoot something different, swap barrel and bolt head. Im pretty sure @reubenski has something similar?

Reactions: reubenski
I'm a Big Horn (Origin) + Proof prefit guy, easy peasy to turn it into a 223 for a barrel or two (and I probably will at some point).

I shot the GAP Grind last year paired up with one of the top PRS Tactical Division guys (he's usually in the top 3), some really good guys in the squad too, sponsored shooters mostly, his 223 shooting 75gr ELD-M's humbled all of us I think. The weather sucked ass (pouring rain) and he still smoked us all on everything out to ~800 yards and we were all rocking various hot-shit 6mm's.

A lot of the talk about bolt-gun 223's is just, well, talk, from people who've probably never seen one. They might not be the easiest thing to take out to 1000 yards on the windiest of days if you're looking for an ego boost... but it'll hold its own in capable hands a hell of a lot better than most people know (including old Marines). I want one.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger

And there's a KRG Bravo for sale in the PX too
The Tikka's sold

M

If you pay me brokerage fees I'll find you one that isn't
The Gun Dock seems to have good deals on firearms. Likely start there

Gunbroker has a Howa 1500 action with busted barrel for cheap, but I'm not much of a gunsmith to recognize if there's something else wrong with the deal

M

Well, IMHO a sick AR for "cheap" just needs a 20" barrel (or longer if you can find one), 7 twist... steady diet of 75/77gr BTHPs, and absolutely the best trigger you can get (Hiperfire/TT, sub 3lbs no Gieselle-ish fake operator crap). It will never be a bolt-gun, but that'll buy as much "free" muzzle velocity per dollar one can get, and with a good high BC bullet one can have fun banging steel at 750 yards 600 yards (maybe more) if it doesn't shoot like a total dog group-wise.

Since every idiot wants the shortest, loudest mini-AR possible, and the can it requires to be useable (including me), the longer barrels come up for cheap sometimes too... I've been on the verge of doing it for a while. Thing is, as a semi-OCD reloader, figure if I'm going to load 223, then I'm loading shit that's too good to waste on a gas gun lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 99mpower
Wilson Combat is having a sale on some of their barrels, so an 18" Urban Sniper .223 Wylde barrel is on the way

Let the waiting begin (again)

I have a 'leftover' muzzle device from a buddy that I'm likely to start with. IDK even know what it is, but free is free

M

Haven’t read the whole thread, so don’t know if this has been mentioned, Sgt of Arms makes a 6ARC rifle with integrated ARCA rail. A friend at Fort Bragg competes with his and Sierra 109s out to 1,000, and it’s money.
I got the hand guard on my .223 gas gun just for these matches. Sgt of Arms hand guard is awesome, I would recommend this hardguard for anyone shooting gas gun matches.

M
This is on a local forum near me.

I got the hand guard on my .223 gas gun just for these matches. Sgt of Arms hand guard is awesome, I would recommend this hardguard for anyone shooting gas gun matches.
Got the matchy Aero handguard that goes with my Aero upper

On sale of course

M

Haven’t read the whole thread, so don’t know if this has been mentioned, Sgt of Arms makes a 6ARC rifle with integrated ARCA rail. A friend at Fort Bragg competes with his and Sierra 109s out to 1,000, and it’s money.
How do you like the handguard ? I'm looking to build an upper for DMR Competition.

So the barrel came in last week. Mounted up and gas blocked.

Waiting on a Precision Armament 4-72 brake so I can stick it all on a lower so I can go make sure the scope's GTG

That Wilson Combat Urban Sniper barrel in 18" is NOT light. Hopefully, it'll shoot as good as it looks

M

Wouldn't you sort of be an ex marine if you got kicked out?

Gieselle-ish fake operator cra
FABD274C-8455-4EE9-9CA7-9B86F07A7E86.gif

Yeah those NM triggers are crap. Lol

View attachment 7925755

Yeah those NM triggers are crap. Lol

I wasn't talking about the National Match, those aren't fake operator-ish at all, they go pretty low lol.

Those springs go south quick though. JMHO but I kind of consider that an "old school" design at this point, for the same money one can get a TT Diamond or a top shelf Hiperfire, something that isn't based on springs being on the verge of not lighting off primers 100%. JMHO/YMMV