• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The New MDT Field Stock

MDT_OFFICIAL

Official Account of Modular Driven Technologies
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2019
mdttac.com

MDT Sporting Goods Ltd. Announces Their New Field Stock.​

4530_source_1680623571.jpg

4529_source_1680623571.jpg

We are excited to announce the launch of the new MDT Field Stock. This entry-level stock with aluminum v-block bedding offers incredible improvements, providing accuracy for your action. An injection-molded polymer body creates a warm-to-the-touch grip in any condition.

The MDT Field Stock was built for any situation; range days, hunting, or competition. It features M-LOK slots on the bottom and sides of the forend, a toolless adjustable cheek riser for a perfect cheek weld, and Length of Pull spacers for optimized fit. Sling studs on the forend and buttstock provide mounting options for slings or bipods. It also converts your rifle to use AICS magazines.
Launching in the Remington 700 SA inlet, in Black and FDE.

The MDT Field Stock is now available with a starting price of $299.95 USD and can be found at https://mdttac.com/mdt-field-stock/

Last edited:
Wait, is this the new oryx thing?
I just noticed oryx isn’t it’s own site either like when introduced any longer and filed under normal mdt.

Looks like a great budget option, but I can’t say I’d buy a stock with the cheek piece sloped forward like that .

• Haha
Reactions: Bender
It's a great idea, I think. Do you plan to make it in more than just Rem 700 SA?

Reactions: TACC
Wait, is this the new oryx thing?
I just noticed oryx isn’t it’s own site either like when introduced any longer and filed under normal mdt.

Yes, and correct, we did away with the separate brands just over a year ago.

I really like the simplicity of this design.

One question — it looks like you could have added one or two more MLOK slots on the forearm in front of the magazine well, why not do this?

-Stan

Going further back would weaken the polymer to much.

It's a great idea, I think. Do you plan to make it in more than just Rem 700 SA?

Yes, more inlets will be coming over this year.

-Anthony

Any idea of a date when Remington 700 LA being released?

Yes, and correct, we did away with the separate brands just over a year ago.

Going further back would weaken the polymer to much.

Yes, more inlets will be coming over this year.

-Anthony
Awesome. I have one rifle in an LSS gen 2, and two more that are each in an Oryx. But I think I would like this stock, as well.

Site says 3.1 pounds so a tad heavier than a bravo

Looks like a great budget option, but I can’t say I’d buy a stock with the cheek piece sloped forward like that .
Some call it a 'negative comb'.

It's what Jeff Cooper recommended, and is on some other well thought-through stocks - means the stock doesn't push into your face as much under recoil, and assists in keeping muzzle and sights on target.

Personally, I'm glad MDT went this way - and suggests they're listening to somebody.

Site says 3.1 pounds so a tad heavier than a bravo
I hope its not as ass heavy as the Bravo.

It's hard to balance out a light contour/short barrel with a mid weight scope in KRG Bravo, hopefully the weight is more evenly spread in this new chassis.

Reactions: YotaEer
I hope its not as ass heavy as the Bravo.

It's hard to balance out a light contour/short barrel with a mid weight scope in KRG Bravo, hopefully the weight is more evenly spread in this new chassis.

I'm surprised you found the Bravo to be ass heavy. I mean, the thing is all hollow polymer behind the trigger. The majority of the metal is in front of the action.

Reactions: TheOE800
I'm surprised you found the Bravo to be ass heavy. I mean, the thing is all hollow polymer behind the trigger. The majority of the metal is in front of the action.
I’m surprised myself.
My 18” Tikka 223 with a stainless suppressor won’t balance in Front of the mag well even with a lead T slot weight and the Arca spigot.

My 16” T1x has no hope in hell getting that balance point.

Reactions: YotaEer and lash
Any chance for a left handed version?

I see this as direct competition for the KRG Bravo.
It likely will happen, but our main focus will be getting a majority of the right-handed options out first.

-Anthony

It likely will happen, but our main focus will be getting a majority of the right-handed options out first.

-Anthony
I don't see it as a competition between brands. But that may be from my experience. We don't compete with others companies in our industry. We do our jobs right and do not worry about other companies.

I think MDT is the same. You make stuff the people like that is also affordable. Even the upper tier stuff is within most budgets.

The only reason I got Oryx was not because it is the most inexpensive. I got it because it fit the rifle and me.

I have one suggestion for others using Oryx. Stick with the set screws for the cheek piece. I tried the thumb screws but I would bump them and they would back off. I found that I do not need to keep adjusting the height. Pick the position I am always in (upright hunter with a tripod) and set it to that and leave it that way.

One rifle of mine is a SA in the LSS gen 2 with folding stock adapter and SCS butt stock. I think now I should probably have got the LA version for my 7 PRC with the 24 in barrel + ASR muzzle brake.

@MDT_OFFICIAL - what is the minimum LOP on this?

I'm a big fan of the bravo and this thing looks like the MDT version. I like the negative comb and price point. Nice option to have!

Reactions: Modoc
MDT answered my LH question via e-mail "Thank you for getting in touch with us. At this time, it's not something that we offer. However, If you don't mind taking a few moments to leave us a product request, we may offer it in the future." Basically the same response when I asked about a LH ACC Elite. I wish that MDT would look real close at the JP APAC and make ambidextrous models which would also cut down on the SKU's that they would need to maintain.

MDT answered my LH question via e-mail "Thank you for getting in touch with us. At this time, it's not something that we offer. However, If you don't mind taking a few moments to leave us a product request, we may offer it in the future." Basically the same response when I asked about a LH ACC Elite. I wish that MDT would look real close at the JP APAC and make ambidextrous models which would also cut down on the SKU's that they would need to maintain.

We will likely do left-handed options; not all the inlets have been approved. And yes, you will; the product request form is a huge part of the consideration if a product makes it or not. If we don't get the hint of interest, it makes it that much tougher, especially with something like the Field Stock, which has a huge cost for the tooling involved.

@MDT_OFFICIAL - what is the minimum LOP on this?

I'm a big fan of the bravo and this thing looks like the MDT version. I like the negative comb and price point. Nice option to have!

13.5" is the minimum.

Approx timeline for the tikka and savage release?
Likely this year, closer to the end of it.

-Anthony

Reactions: lash and YotaEer
Are you planning a long action savage 111 version?
Not yet, but we likely will; all the additional inlets are being decided on now; the internal goal is to have the field stock as our highest number of inlet options.

-Anthony

Reactions: lash
Not yet, but we likely will; all the additional inlets are being decided on now; the internal goal is to have the field stock as our highest number of inlet options.

-Anthony

Do you know at this time if the Ruger American SA inlet will be an option? And if so, any idea when it might drop?

Also, for getting a particular inlet considered as you mentioned above re. the website feedback form, is it more effective to submit questions like this directly to your website than here?

Does the Field Stock still have the aluminum backbone going all the way through the forend like the XRS does?

Do you know at this time if the Ruger American SA inlet will be an option? And if so, any idea when it might drop?

Also, for getting a particular inlet considered as you mentioned above re. the website feedback form, is it more effective to submit questions like this directly to your website than here?

Yes, we will be doing the Ruger American SA for sure; currently in development. Hopefully, late this year, Ruger tends to be the more complicated inlets we support. Yes, the website form is the correct place, as our marketing and sales team review that while discussing inlets. But we have 26 kicked off for the remainder of 2023 and into 2024.

Does the Field Stock still have the aluminum backbone going all the way through the forend like the XRS does?
No, the forend is full polymer past the recoil lug pocket.

-Anthony

Yes, we will be doing the Ruger American SA for sure; currently in development. Hopefully, late this year, Ruger tends to be the more complicated inlets we support. Yes, the website form is the correct place, as our marketing and sales team review that while discussing inlets. But we have 26 kicked off for the remainder of 2023 and into 2024.

No, the forend is full polymer past the recoil lug pocket.

-Anthony
Thanks for the info, that helps!

Reactions: MDT_OFFICIAL
I'd love to see a version of this for the Ruger American Ranch AR inlet. I think currently the only product you have supporting that is the LSS-XL, and that's really nice but a bit rich for a rifle I'm mostly building as a budget fundamentals training rifle.

Either this or the oryx would be a home run for that inlet.

When can we expect the Savage SA version?
Later this year, probably somewhere in November.

I'd love to see a version of this for the Ruger American Ranch AR inlet. I think currently the only product you have supporting that is the LSS-XL, and that's really nice but a bit rich for a rifle I'm mostly building as a budget fundamentals training rifle.

Either this or the oryx would be a home run for that inlet.
We shall see, nothing planned yet for an AR-specific inlet, but it could happen for sure!

-Anthony

Something cool that popped up in my email box. MDT now has bipods made for the Oryx. I have two Oryx chassis. So, I bought two. My LSS Gen 2 I already have one on that from a few years ago.

The Oryx chassis I have been shooting from tripod and either clamp or no clamp. But I am getting back into bipods.

Anyway, the Oryx bipod is really inexpensive, good for a po' boy like me.

People tell me to go and be poor somewhere else. But here I am, anyway.
:)

Something else cool that just came along. There is a limited time supply of camo dipped Oryx panels. Cool beans.
Yup, and they sold in record time; another batch will be coming soon in something different!

-Anthony

I got tired of waiting for a Savage version, Bravo beat them to it.

Anyone have experience with one of these in hand yet?

How does it compare to the bravo or XRS?

So far they made the actions for the 700, Tikka T3X and Savage, I really hope they make this for the TC compass short action...

Reactions: Ronws
So far they made the actions for the 700, Tikka T3X and Savage, I really hope they make this for the TC compass short action.
I have TC Compass II in .308 W that I put in an Oryx. Now, before I put it in that chassis, I pulled straight out of the box and put on a Falcon Strike pad and a brake. First two shots were .54 inches apart.

Shared that here and was told I have a shit rifle and shit round, all the while the shit-talker doing the ballistic-x analysis that I shot .54 inches (I thought I shot 1/2 inch because I was using a tape measure.)

Putting it in the chassis and finding a heavier round (165 gr) really tuned it well.

So, yeah, TC Compass proved its guarantee of 1 MOA on the first 3 rounds. Not bad for a "shit" rifle.

TLDR, I learned to keep my mouth shut while the gucci purse swingers are talking.

I have TC Compass II in .308 W that I put in an Oryx. Now, before I put it in that chassis, I pulled straight out of the box and put on a Falcon Strike pad and a brake. First two shots were .54 inches apart.

Shared that here and was told I have a shit rifle and shit round, all the while the shit-talker doing the ballistic-x analysis that I shot .54 inches (I thought I shot 1/2 inch because I was using a tape measure.)

Putting it in the chassis and finding a heavier round (165 gr) really tuned it well.

So, yeah, TC Compass proved its guarantee of 1 MOA on the first 3 rounds. Not bad for a "shit" rifle.

TLDR, I learned to keep my mouth shut while the gucci purse swingers are talking.
I took my factory stock and epoxy filled my front end, and filled the buttstock with silicone and some weights to balance the rifle. Also cut out and sanded the front handguard to actually free float the barrel.
So far it's shooting fine, it's sub moa at 100 and for smaller groups I have my B14.

Just would be nice to convert the rifle to mag fed ( oryx allows this) vs the rotational mag. I'm just hesitant about the oryx given it costs 2X what I paid for the rifle.

I took my factory stock and epoxy filled my front end, and filled the buttstock with silicone and some weights to balance the rifle. Also cut out and sanded the front handguard to actually free float the barrel.
So far it's shooting fine, it's sub moa at 100 and for smaller groups I have my B14.

Just would be nice to convert the rifle to mag fed ( oryx allows this) vs the rotational mag. I'm just hesitant about the oryx given it costs 2X what I paid for the rifle.
Know the feeling, I have a Ruger American that I bought or my son and he’s since outgrown the youth stock. Looking at this as a good replacement.

So far they made the actions for the 700, Tikka T3X and Savage, I really hope they make this for the TC compass short action...
Where do you find that MDT makes the Field Stock, what this thread is about, for Savage and Tikka?

On the MDT website the only show Remington 700SA and Ruger American SA.

True. It takes the "budget" out of budget rifle. And some could argue why not just pay for a rifle that is bedded better. On the other hand, I have had good performance out of the "cheap rifles" by putting them in the superior bedding of a chassis.

Normally, the Oryx goes for 429 plus tax, S&H. Black Friday ends tomorrow night and it is 25% and is 322 ish plus tax and S&H. So, it may cost more than a TC Compass II without the sale price. And less than a Mossberg Patriot or Patriot Predator.

The MDT chassis in other versions do cost more but can obviously be worth it if you need those features.

Where do you find that MDT makes the Field Stock, what this thread is about, for Savage and Tikka?

On the MDT website the only show Remington 700SA and Ruger American SA.
They have the Savage version in stock for $179 right now as part of their Black Friday sale. I have one on the way for my 110 Switchback in 6ARC. I thought it was a pretty good deal to see if this helps get the rifle a little more consistent. Every other cheap ass factory rifle that I have put into a custom stock becomes a shooter. I’m betting this is no different.

They have the Savage version in stock for $179 right now as part of their Black Friday sale. I have one on the way for my 110 Switchback in 6ARC. I thought it was a pretty good deal to see if this helps get the rifle a little more consistent. Every other cheap ass factory rifle that I have put into a custom stock becomes a shooter. I’m betting this is no different.

That has also been my experience. Tends to be that the unbedded synthetic stocks just don't always provide a stable basis.

Reactions: Modoc
Has anyone used an MDT field stock yet and have any feedback/input about them? How rigid is the front end? Does if flex when loading a bipod?

I went ahead and ordered one with the black Friday sale. If it is rigid enough these seem like a great deal at there normal price and amazing with the black Friday pricing.

Has anyone used an MDT field stock yet and have any feedback/input about them? How rigid is the front end? Does if flex when loading a bipod?

I went ahead and ordered one with the black Friday sale. If it is rigid enough these seem like a great deal at there normal price and amazing with the black Friday pricing.

I bought one but haven't had a chance to use it yet. The forend does seem to be pretty rigid though, just based on preliminary inspection it seems to be pretty comparable to the Magpul Hunter stock which is the obvious competitor. I own both for the same rifle platform and would say that fit, finish, and rigidity all seem pretty comparable, with the MDT Field stock having the advantage in external profile and feel differences, like the more vertical grip in particular.

One negative to the Field stock in that comparison though - the LOP is noticeably longer than the Hunter stock, and I don't particularly care for that. It's easy to add length with spacers, but hard to take it away when the stock is already a little long. JMO, but it seems like a similar complaint that a lot of people have about the Magpul PRS stocks.

Reactions: MDT_OFFICIAL