• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

The one gun you'll never sell

ZLBubba

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
We all have that one gun in our collections that carries special meaning to us. Maybe it was the 22LR that our grandfather used to teach us how to shoot. Maybe it's that one rifle that we've spent hours working on, be it customizations, painting, or handloads. I bet there's some remarkable stories about that one gun that will never find itself in the for sale section.

My unsellable gun is certainly the dark horse if you look at my various shooting rigs. Without a doubt, the one gun I love is a Sig Pro 2340. I know what you're thinking: it's not even the top of the Sig line, how is it that special to me? Well, I bought this pistol in 2004 when I didn't know much about handguns. I have shot this pistol to death and it's never once had a malfunction, not even with my amateur handloads when I first started rolling my own rounds. The trigger is smooth as butter, the pistol shoots straighter than I do, and it's a comfortable size for my hands. I love it, and while it certainly doesn't get any "ooooo"s and "ahhhh"s when I take it out of its case at the range, it sure does after I shoot a couple IDPA rounds with it.

So what's your unsellable gun?

Re: The one gun you'll never sell

Hmmmmmmm, can it be three?
GAP/AI
Match M14
Safari/Springfield .45
Benelli Super 90....ok, FOUR!

I had to look hard. I sold a gun once(FN/FAL type Century C1A1). I regretted that move for a long time until I got an R1A1 to replace it. Every single gun in the house will not ever be sold. We don't sell guns. We learned. Kinda like tools. You don't sell stuff you need to live on, or possibily make a living with, or need to fix stuff.

First gun I got from my old man. Old school tang safety Ruger M77 .30/06. That thing has a lot of miles and a lot of memories. Haven't shot it in ten years. You only get one "first" gun from your old man.

My unsellable pieces are a 1946 (i think would have to check again) Marlin 39a thats been handed down from my great great grandfather on my dad's side. I also have a New Haven Arms 22lr semi-auto that my dad gave me when I was young. He had lost the tubular mag for it so we feed it one at a time. When I got old enough to shoot it by myself we look at getting a new mag for it. The few gunsmiths in Gastonia, NC either didn't want to fool with it or something we were told they could build one cause it a mag that feeds from the butt it the bolt. So we just let it be. After my dad passed away and I got back into shooting I found a smith that built me on without a problem. I also have my dad's and my mom's old school 38's. My mom has them but she took over my S&W m60 357 as he carry gun. I also have an old Mossburg bolt action 12ga goose gun that was my grandad's on my mothers side. Now if you open up my safe an look in these would not be the ones you'd want to look at but they hold that speical place to me.

I have four.(for right now anyway)
1) Remmy 700 in 30.06 my Dad got me when I started hunting.
2) Springfield 1911, its the first gun I bought on my own.
3) .308 M40A1 spec rifle
4) .22LR 40X, it took me so long to find one I wont let it go.

Remington 700 LA in 270 that my dad gave me as my first rifle is about the only one that has a permanent place here.

All of them, except the Hi-point
grin.gif

I have a LC Smith double 12 w/30" barrels. Its suppose to be modified and full, but because it was made in a time when plastic wads weren't used its super full and extra super full
laugh.gif
. Made in 1912 with hammers. Its not mint cosmetically(still excellent condition considering its age, but it won't bring top dollar) but it locks up tight and balls to the wall accurate

Probably my remington 870 which is the first gun I ever bought

when I moved from Scotland to the states 10 yrs ago I went out and bought my first firearm. It was a Mossberg 88 Maverick shotgun. I still have it 10 yrs later albeit with a few mods but dont think I will ever get rid of it.
I also have a s&w 38 revolver that my mother in law gave me.It belonged to her husband (who I never met) who bought it 2nd hand when he was really young (he would be 97 today). I will never get rid of it as its the only thing I have of his.

Mac

I bought a New Ruger Bisley Vaquero in 45 LC 15 years ago and shoot it 50 times then got my wife a Beagle dog for christmas and we named him Bisley Vaquero and never shot the gun again it will never leave the safe

My one gun got stolen by a Mexican on a bicycle in Albuquerque NM. We know because he dropped half of them when a witness saw him.

P7M13

i messed up and sold my SP89 and i still kick myself

I have two of them. One is an Ithica .22LR coach gun that my Grandfather bought for me the day I was born. The other is an old M1 Carbine that was also given to me by my Grandfather. I would never part with these two rifles.

S&W model 29 .44 magnum, bought by the ol' man during the dirty harry years. seen the movie, then he went out and bought it the next day. has the presentation box. still have the bill of sale, cleaning kit, instructions.

ran a cylinder through it at his funeral after stating, "well dad, i hope this makes your day", then dropped the casings in the hole, as the sound of his favorite band, CCR, echoed in the back. completely freaked out the unsuspecting. well, i'm sure they were unsuspecting - but not surprised.

he used it for home defense, made 2 road trips to california defending our chevy van that we took the trips with, and was the third gun i learned to shoot with (@ seven years old). the casings along with the bowtie from the front grill made it in the hole, along with a shot of crown royal as he was once quoted, "i want to be cremated with my 44 in one hand, a bottle of crown in the other, and buried in that F%$#ing van!" i hope in essence, that i achieved that without bringing in a back hoe for the van.

only 12 rounds a year go through it: 6 on his birthday and 6 on his death day. off a bench and rest nearly cloverleafs at 50 yards.

after having to sell off everything that meant something to me as i grew up to provide for my own family and life, wront sell or trade it for anything. too much history and memories in this thing.

i can only hope i'm worthy of 6 casings someday....

My mini-14! The first long gun I ever bought and it has served me well for 25 years even though we all know it is little more than an unwieldy door stop!
laugh.gif

My dad has a 357 he bought from his PI way back in the day when he represented some crazy families in divorce disputes. Speaking for my old man, I know that his old wheel gun will always be with him no matter what.

10/22. My first rifle that didn't propel by air. If I ever get an AR-7, it will be unsellable due to it's overwhelming ease of use, storage (inside itself), and it floats.

If I were in such a situation, I'd doubt I would be in a static position nor would I think I would be in a position that affords the prep and long term storage of large meat portions so anything capable of taking down a deer easily would be of little use and inhibit hunting of smaller game. I'm talking more of get stranded in BFE than "on the run" scenarios which I find rather laughable.

The issue of protection from predatory or dangerous large game is a point I must concede on the .22LR but one I'd be willing to concede if given the option of only 1 firearm.

In such a situation, it is often an unplanned extended stay at Nature's Howard Johnson so I would be able to rationalize carrying more .22LR than a battle load of .223 or similar.

It would be easier for me to name the ones i would sell.
Alot of folks say that i have to many. I say no such thing.

I've got a Ruger Bearcat that belonged to my Dad. He bought it new in the 60s & I still have the owner's manual, wax paper wrapper & box with a $39 pricetag on the box. He have the pistol to me when I was about 10. I also have a Rem 1100 in.410 that was a gift from my Grandmother. The last is a Model 43 Win. in .22 Hornet that my Granddad left to me. These will never leave. No amount of money could buy them.

1. Galil 308 ARM
2. GA Precision M40A3
3. AWC M40A2

Anything else that is in the safe is a potential sale but...

Great Thread!!

Tough question to answer though. Maybe a Beretta ASEL 20ga built in the mid 1950s. Best handling shotgun I have ever shouldered. Beautiful factory hand engraving on receiver and stocks.

Probably my dad's old Remington 1100 20ga. He gave it to me when I was 12. I traded him for a 12 ga just like it when I turned 16. I got it back when he passed many years ago. My son shoots it now. I will never sell it but will proudly pass it to my son when the time comes.

Old Charles Daly side by side I cut my teeth on as a kid. Blew about 6" off the end of it while hunting pheasants at an early age. (Snow) Thought my dad was going to use it on me, but he was only concerned about me. It is now pretty short and handy.

The rifle I will never sell is the first hunting rifle my father bought me, a 270 weatherby mag. Have used it on everything from mule deer to buffalo.

The revolver I will never sell is the first handgun the old man bought for me as well, S&W 686 .357. Great pistol and very accurate, have yet to have any issue with that gun.

Unfortunately I won't be able to sell any of mine. After the tragic boat sinking when I lost all of mine I have none to sell. Prior to that my short list was a 50's vintage High Standard Supermatic and my first LR build, M-77, 25-06, 28" Lilja heavy barrel, ugly as hell, Xcellent shooter.

Remington 1903a4 that was brought back from Vietnam by my Father in law. He gave it to me for a wedding gift 20 years ago.

My 6x45 AR,my first AR that was not an out of the box blue label or Bushy,did it before the 6.8 Rem was even around,deadly on deer with a 100gr rn in the woods of western WA.Was fun to piss off the DFG Wardens too when they realized it was a legal caliber for big game.I have changed it around so much the only thing original left is the barrel,still hits the X-Ring coldbore first shot with my coyote loads.First AR barrel done by Benchmark also.

One of my Grandfathers, upon return from the War, brought his Enfield. He also purchased a twin set of Husqvuarna's. One in '06 (for him) and one in .270 (for Granny). And I do mean "Twin" as these are an identical "sister set" as he called them. They all have been passed on to me.

My Grandfather's BIL (my Great Uncle) was presented with a Parker side-by-each 12 by the Mayor of Vancouver many many years ago. That too was passed to me.

So tell me, what/which of these would you sell, had they been yours?

My own "firsts" are definitely shadowed by this history. And that's not all, believe me. But considering how and where they are kept for safekeeping, and so that I can pass them to my son, I really don't get to see them often.

I still have every firearm I've ever owned. And I'll have them until I die.

My Randall 45-

Searched for quite a while til I
found a gun with my name on it..

I do not have a gun I will not Sell......

My grandfather's Iver Johnson single barrel 12 ga.

The winchester over and under my dad bought for me right before I was born. Hank jr was in the gun shop and cristened it for me.(not knowing I was going to be a musician and huge fan) and my dads old S&W M28 is another one. My grandads old shotguns he passed down to me. (Very well used,he got a deal on Win M12's back in the day, BUy one get the other one for a dollar. One is used heavily and the other looks to be brand new) I'VE got some very nice customs that don't reall mean anything special to me but I would still kill the man who trys to take em from me. But the old family guns will NEVER be sold. Just passed down

By far the most valuable rifle in my safe is the Garaand my Pap carried in Korea. He left it to my dad-and now it is in my safe. That one could never go. I also have a set of Kimber of Oregon rifles my dad bought me for a college graduation present, and they would be extremely difficult to sell, but they are not as important as my Pap's Garand!!

My brother has the special rifle in the family. It is an 03A3 SpringField that was given to my Great Grand Pap. He was one of the most protected men in the Navy. He was 7 feet tall(6foot11"). His life was miserable in the Navy because of his height. But he was one of the most valuable in the Navy. As the story goes he was the only man tall enough to clean the bore of the guns during a sustained sea battle. Personally I do not know what that entails. But during some shelling of the shore my GGP was able to keep a few guns in the fight and saved the lives of a colonel and his men in a battle that was close to shore. So the Colonel found out what my GGP did and gave him an NIB 03A3. And to this day it has not been shot. It is the true family heirloom in my family(with his medals). Tom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My mini-14! The first long gun I ever bought and it has served me well for 25 years even though we all know it is little more than an unwieldy door stop!
laugh.gif
</div></div>

The only gun I ever sold! and I still regret it, it was the first rifle I ever bought, and I sold it to get something FAR better. shortly after the sale, I told myself I'll never sell another, and I'm pretty sure I can follow through with that. Since then I've never bought a gun that wasn't pre-thought, pre-planned, studied out, and lusted after for long periods of time. I am by no means a rich man, so my wads are blown few and far between and only on the best option I can justify to myself. That is why every gun in my posession currently, has a home for as far into the future as I can see.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeepin_Lawyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any gun my Dad gave me.
</div></div>

Same here

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ridge</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeepin_Lawyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any gun my Dad gave me.
</div></div>

Same here </div></div>

I'll thrid that!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ridge</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeepin_Lawyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any gun my Dad gave me.
</div></div>

Same here </div></div>

I'll thrid that!</div></div> same here as well

I pick up my first 1911 in 1980. It was a NIB 70 series gold cup and I paid about $325 out the door. That one I would not sell, but everything else for the right price can go.

My first 1911 and my Dad's 1911

I will never sell my Colt AR-15 Sporter which was my first* rifle and a birthday gift from my wife. She bought i from the local NAPA auto parts/gun parts store. It is the one gun that I accessorized the crap out of and learned all the ins and out of. It's the gun that gave me BRD and I have since built 11 Black Rifles.

My DCM Garand. I'm no kitten, but it's near five years older'n I am.

My HK91 bought brand new in 1984 when I was in the Marine Corps. Still legal in Kalifornia as I think I was the only one to jump through the hoops and register it.