• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater The Osterman Weekend (and for no apparent reason Dune, 1984)

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
Just re-watched this film that came out in 1982... I saw it when it first came out and was really enthralled with the Mac10's and the lasers... And the Barnett Commando crossbow.

But never 'really' got the significance of it. Saw it again in the early 1990's and it was just a 'bit' starting to resonate.

Just watched it again tonite and, holy crap, what an incredible movie.

Cast was fantastic. William Hurt, Rutger Hauer, Dennis Hopper, Burt Lancaster. The themes and psychology of it was beyond amazing. It is a movie 40 years ahead of its time.

You know how The Terminator (which I saw at the same time, roughly) was going to be 'real' by 2024. In fact, the line by Reese was "Not for about 40 years..." Which is 2024. Well, not so much on the Terminator side of things.

The Osterman Weekend on the other hand... At a level of spot on and prescient that is amazing.

So... watch it. It's on Prime and streaming services. Holy crap. Watch it. Sit back and just take it all in. Some movies get better with age, experience and the passage of time? This one turned into one of the best movies of the 1980's that noone could appreciate for, well... "Not for about 40 years."

Cheers,

Sirhr

saw dune 2. went way off the story line,changed timing of some important points,end point not reached. maybe gonna do a 3rd? if you saw 1,guess you ought to see 2. disappointing compared to ring trilogy or godfather 1/2 when talking about excellent movies from great books.

Reactions: Ronws
saw dune 2. went way off the story line,changed timing of some important points,end point not reached. maybe gonna do a 3rd? if you saw 1,guess you ought to see 2. disappointing compared to ring trilogy or godfather 1/2 when talking about excellent movies from great books.
Dune, as a movie, was way, way better than the book, which is usually not the case.

In the book, I found Frank Herbert's writing a bit dry, pun unintended. A glossary, for gosh sake. I never got through the book. But Gordon Sumner (Sting) and Kyle McLachlan really helped the movie. And Patrick Stewart, without a doubt.

well,must disagree. dune is IMHO best novel ever written. that is no hill to die on. actually,although it is dised a lot,i think the 80s movie was a pretty good try and not bad at all. wish they had done a trilogy like star wars. would have been a good one worth seeing a few times.

I saw it in the mid 80's on cable as a teenager and always liked it. I think I may have seen it again in the 90's and had forgotten about. Thanks for the reminder, I'll be sure to watch it again. I'm always looking for good movies made in 1960-2000 or so, back when Hollywood made good movies. Not the woke shit they produce nowadays.

I saw it in the mid 80's on cable as a teenager and always liked it. I think I may have seen it again in the 90's and had forgotten about. Thanks for the reminder, I'll be sure to watch it again. I'm always looking for good movies made in 1960-2000 or so, back when Hollywood made good movies. Not the woke shit they produce nowadays.

Just because I am now very confused… you going to watch The Osterman Weekend? Or Dune?

Cheers!

And no reason to apologize… I knew what you were saying. Was just funning the guys above who went strangely Dune in the thread ;-)

I tried to watch Dune several times in the 1980’s and could not get past 10 minutes. So am with you on that.

Needed more suppressed Mac 10’s with laser sights and crossbows to keep my attention, I guess!!

Sirhr

Reactions: Arc Light
It's funny how your point of view changes as you get older. Great Movie from what I remember. It's been about thirty years since i've seen it. You just help me find a great movie to watch tonight. Thank you.

I had forgotten about this one but remember watching it wayyyy back when I was a HS senior and really liking it. So it’s back in the queue - appreciate it Sir

Ok, so Dune is on HBO several times this week...

I set to record. The original from 1984. Going to give it one more try to see whether you guys are nuts or not.

Sirhr
I saw bits and pieces of it. And really, Patrick Stewart outshone Kyle MacLachlan and Sting evn though I like those guys. It was a smidge better than the book because so much of the book is setting up what can be done in a few scenes. Plus that PITA glossary that Frank Herbert put in the book so that you can understand the words that he wrote. That really breaks the flow of reading.

I saw Dune when it came out in 84, I really liked it. Over the years have heard lots of people criticize it, never understood why.

Reactions: AmmoFort
Just re-watched this film that came out in 1982... I saw it when it first came out and was really enthralled with the Mac10's and the lasers... And the Barnett Commando crossbow.

But never 'really' got the significance of it. Saw it again in the early 1990's and it was just a 'bit' starting to resonate.

Just watched it again tonite and, holy crap, what an incredible movie.

Cast was fantastic. William Hurt, Rutger Hauer, Dennis Hopper, Burt Lancaster. The themes and psychology of it was beyond amazing. It is a movie 40 years ahead of its time.

You know how The Terminator (which I saw at the same time, roughly) was going to be 'real' by 2024. In fact, the line by Reese was "Not for about 40 years..." Which is 2024. Well, not so much on the Terminator side of things.

The Osterman Weekend on the other hand... At a level of spot on and prescient that is amazing.

So... watch it. It's on Prime and streaming services. Holy crap. Watch it. Sit back and just take it all in. Some movies get better with age, experience and the passage of time? This one turned into one of the best movies of the 1980's that noone could appreciate for, well... "Not for about 40 years."

Cheers,

Sirhr
Left out directed by Sam Peckinpah and written by Robert Ludlum, it really was a great movie.

I'm trying to watch the Osterman Weekend, but it's just not holding me. I've fallen asleep 3 times now. I can't figure out if I'm just exhausted or this flick just doesn't work for me? Da fuck? I'm gonna give it one last go.

The thing about Dune is, if you haven't read the book, the movie really isn't going to make a lot of sense.

You can appreciate the movie a lot more if you've read the novel, since you'll have the complete picture of what's going on. Of course, the movie could be just as detailed, but would end up being 14 hours long. And that's just the first book.

Throw in the subsequent novels and you'd be in front of the boob tube for a month.

I liked the 1984 film, and also the new version. I'm hoping part two is going to be just as good.

The thing about Dune is, if you haven't read the book, the movie really isn't going to make a lot of sense.

You can appreciate the movie a lot more if you've read the novel, since you'll have the complete picture of what's going on. Of course, the movie could be just as detailed, but would end up being 14 hours long. And that's just the first book.

Throw in the subsequent novels and you'd be in front of the boob tube for a month.

I liked the 1984 film, and also the new version. I'm hoping part two is going to be just as good.
What was even harder is that Dune is a trilogy.

I'm trying to watch the Osterman Weekend, but it's just not holding me. I've fallen asleep 3 times now. I can't figure out if I'm just exhausted or this flick just doesn't work for me? Da fuck? I'm gonna give it one last go.

It has a long, slow-burn opening. With lots of strange references...

It's not for everyone! Most Peckinpah movies are... different!

Cheers,

Sirhr

I have not seen ”part 2.” But I do have a copy of the original Dune movie that was shown on television. The graphics on the ”new” Dune are so much better, but the story line, to me, seemed to be better in the first movie.

I have a copy of the book. Read it and listened to it on audio. I don’t have much to say about it good or bad, probably because I saw the first movie fairly recently before reading the book. However, subsequent books, really take a lot out of the entire story. Basically every step it took, went downhill. Very disappointing. If Dune had ended at the first book, I would have been a better, not bitter ending.

So, for Science Fiction books, “The Expanse” books and Sci Fi series was much better read and watch. Caveat, Once you see The Expanse series, it’s kind a hard to repeat watch. The original Dune, repeats better.

Dune, like many other things does not work well in a series of movies.
It would have been excellent in a long series like they did with The Expanse
Kind of like how making a movie of Battlestar Galactica would suck, but the series about a decade or so ago was actually really good.