• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The other black gold.

oregon

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2011
Portland, Oregon
www.designavs.com
Gas and gun money is hard enough here to find for many when others are paying $270 per ounce in gourmet shops world-wide for wild fish eggs! Farm-raised caviar goes for about 2/3rds that.

There are so many ways to make money. 10 years years into California farm raised caviar it is now among the best. Found it interesting they harvest more eggs from the same female fish later. CA now produces an estimated 85% of all the U.S. white sturgeon caviar. Sturgeon — Acipenseridae — have outlived whatever killed the dinosaurs. They've survived everything in the past 250 million years, only now nearly are falling prey to man's desire for their clusters of glistening roe. Sturgeon are getting closer to being extinct in some areas in the wild:

caviar.jpg

<span style="color: #999999"><span style="font-style: italic">iStockphoto</span></span>

Found it interesting they harvest more eggs from the same farm raised fish later - they have probably just been killing them for their eggs for years. Sturgeon is also good eating - great smoked. The Oregon season requires a license and tag. There is a season and only those between 3 and 6 feet can be kept.

The Great California Caviar Rush

Wonder if this is another example of man messing with nature. The chef in the article to tell the difference so said farm raised is not a substitute for wild, instead a different new ingredient. Could this turn out similar to the farmed salmon thing is hard to say. The Columbia River Sturgeon live to be over 100 years and get over 12 feet long. Look like sea serpent dinosaurs - a big sucker mouth no teeth. Often live in deep water. The old pictures of the monsters taken before regulation are amazing like:

sturgeon1.jpg

China's Yangtze Dams will reduce the habitat for the Sturgeon and their' panda of the sea', numbers down to under 1000. Not sure if the same fish or not. These fish are getting more and more rare and some say are an indicator of water health. The Chinese paddle fish even bigger not seen since 2003:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i8DKh4aGOAY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i8DKh4aGOAY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Farm raising Sturgeon may be the only way to keep some kinds alive. The wild river environments where Sturgeon used to live are not as common as they used to be. We will see if farm raised caviar grows in popularity.

Re: The other black gold.

I hear this is a huge problem in Russia as they control a massive share of the black-market roe exchange. I think it tastes like a salt bomb anyway.

Mmmmm... I love me some caviar!

In WI, you gotta buy a tag... and are only allowed 1 per season.
They're not spawning at that time, and pretty sure they don't have any eggs during the allowed season.

I've caught a couple six footers on light tackle while walleye fishing... takes like an hour to get them in! But have seen some upwards of 3 times that size jump! Way crazy!

Hmmm, I wonder if the worldwide growth in consumption of all their eggs has anything to do with their declining populations...

Too bad morons and assholes aren't considered delicacies...

Be careful, the scale used to determine asshole and moron might surprize a few.
shocked.gif

Never developed a taste for fish eggs, however I can see how it would be a good thing to keep wild versions in the wild.

Oh, did that sound all treehuggery?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Too bad morons and assholes aren't considered delicacies...</div></div>

Actually, "assholes" really are considered delicacies. Check out a pork slaughterhouse one day, and then find out who the sole buyer is of those "items".

But that's another story. Now if we could only do something about the morons....

Part of the wild sturgeon loss is loss of habitat from hydro-electric dams. They need faster running rivers so their eggs don't get covered in silt, dams slow down the river and they can't reproduce in the muck.