• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The perfect collection

millsd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2010
Austin, TX
Ok, I've seen similar posts on "top 10", etc...but I'm just getting back into guns after a 10 year hiatus and want to know your thoughts on the following if you were picking factory rifles and not custom:

Best extreme rifle (ie: 375, 416, 50, etc): The DTA HTI is coming out late this year, which is currently on my top list.

Best long range: I have a DTA 338LM on order. I thought about the Barrett and TRG...and almost bought an AIAWSM.

Best mid range bolt: Getting the 308 for the DTA too...but I think I'd really like an AI...always wanted an AI.

Best mid range semi-auto (an HK PSG1 would be nice...but I'm not spending 15k on one of those).

Best CQ semi auto

Best pistol: I'm looking at the HK Mk 23 and USP Tactical. Always loved HK as they build solid guns. Right now I own a Sig226. It's well built, but I think I want to sell and buy an HK.

Supressors? Never even considered getting one before, but with the 338 on the way it may make a lot of sense. Seen a lot for hanguns too, but why?

Pretty sad that I went from having the MP's in the base armory stunned from my impressive collection to not shooting for 10 years, but now that I'm back out shooting, I want to plan out the ultimate collection...hopefully with a bit of help.

Re: The perfect collection

I won't dissect your list too much but for a .338 suppressor rated for Lapua Magnum I would look no further than Thunder Beast Arms. They are some of the finest suppressors money can buy and in addition they're one of the few manufacturers who test extensively for accuracy and focus on that. With a long range precision rifle that's probably something you'll want.

How long woud such a suppressor last?

And I'm thinking:

HK762 for mid range semi
Diablo for CQ - though I'd be curious how much of a pain it is to get a SBR?

I have an HK USP 45 and love it, well made and accurate but I like my Wilson CQB even more. The MK 23 is just way too big. I just have a thing for well made 1911's over any polymer gun. One reason I like HK's are they can be had variant one with 1911 style controls with the added benefit of a decocker. I would consider Nighthawk, Springfield loaded also. As for CQ auto/mid range auto I would choose a Rock River M-4 flat top, BUIS,quad rail and an EOTECH with 3X magnifier. Very hard to beat for the money and short enough for CQB with legs/optic for mid range.

I've bounced back and forth a few times, but this is what I'm settling on:
LR/LA bolt gun...still under development, but a 7mmRM, Sako M995 action, Bartlein 5R, in a Manners T4A. Vortex mil/mil 6-24x50 PST
MR/SA bolt gun...7-08, FN M98 action, Shilen, still under development. I'd love to have a .338 LM, but these will do for now.
Semi's:
Ar10T 20" for med to long range semi, 4-14x44 FFP/ mil/mil Falcon.
*AR10 16" SASS for med. range precision tactical to CQB. Little heavy due to the barrel, but carbine length and can still off hand just fine. Very accurate off a bibod to 500+.
*CMMG 16" middy for my 5.56 med. range/CQB lightweight.
*both with QD optics; Aimpoint, and 1x4 CQB scope, YTBD.
Rem 12g 870/VangComp 8 shot...everyone need a tac. shotgun.
Handguns range from a SA 1911 LP parkerised, HK USPC .45 V1, S&W 1911PD, and a S&W M&P .40. Whichever I grab first will work just fine.
supressors allowed where I live.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Millsd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, I've seen similar posts on "top 10", etc...but I'm just getting back into guns after a 10 year hiatus and want to know your thoughts on the following if you were picking factory rifles and not custom:

Best extreme rifle (ie: 375, 416, 50, etc): The DTA HTI is coming out late this year, which is currently on my top list.

Best long range: I have a DTA 338LM on order. I thought about the Barrett and TRG...and almost bought an AIAWSM.

Best mid range bolt: Getting the 308 for the DTA too...but I think I'd really like an AI...always wanted an AI.

Best mid range semi-auto (an HK PSG1 would be nice...but I'm not spending 15k on one of those).

Best CQ semi auto

Best pistol: I'm looking at the HK Mk 23 and USP Tactical. Always loved HK as they build solid guns. Right now I own a Sig226. It's well built, but I think I want to sell and buy an HK.

Supressors? Never even considered getting one before, but with the 338 on the way it may make a lot of sense. Seen a lot for hanguns too, but why?

Pretty sad that I went from having the MP's in the base armory stunned from my impressive collection to not shooting for 10 years, but now that I'm back out shooting, I want to plan out the ultimate collection...hopefully with a bit of help. </div></div>

I added some extras.

IMO...It's near impossible to beat the STI/SVI pistols.Especially the Edge series.It's been 5-6 years since mine has malfunctioned.Even then it was because I got a primer backwards in the case.I was watching the local guys shooting there Glocks and 1911's at the local match this weekend.There were some jams,probably their fault with reloads or limp wristing?.

I think you could be done with buying any other bolt rifles with a DTA SRS in the correct cartridges.If they had 10 round mags that would be excellent.

Benelli shotguns rule!!!

It's a custom but one of those new Skunkworks 22lr trainers would be awesome.I think DTA should come out with a 22 conversion.

JP LPR07 in 260Rem for long range semiauto.

Right "now" a Robinson Arms XCR short frame in 6.8 would be my CQB choice.It has all controls in the right places.I was very impressed with the 223 version.

Mac1 USFT's PCP air rifles rule! So do Steyr LP5's

Benelli MP-90 22lr pistols rule.

Steve

My wish list

SCAR 5.56 16" 700yd+

Custom Rifles
6mmARTurbo - 1200yd+
Rem 700 7mmWSM - 1500yd+
375 CheyTac - long long range.

KCI SAIGA-12 SHOTGUN
or
Benelli M1 Super90
( or both!
smile.gif
)

Glock19
Glock21 SF

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ar10T 20" for med to long range semi, 4-14x44 FFP/ mil/mil Falcon.</div></div>

You want one of these or you already have one? If you're in the market I may have this rifle/optic for sale shortly.

"I think you could be done with buying any other bolt rifles with a DTA SRS in the correct cartridges." HA! I've only just begun! That DTA HTI in 375-50bmg sure is purdy and I don't know how long I can go on without an AI rifle. Now if only I had a good range near Austin TX where I could shoot 1000++++ yards.

And never looked at the SVI pistols, but they look nice. Very expensive, but nice. Not that they're in the same category, but reminds me of my Llama from years ago. Was a pretty cheap 1911 style gun, but it just felt so right. That would be one of the many regretful sales I made. Couple of others include my SKB pump, 870 wingmaster (man I loved that gun), and Browning Citori.

IMHO, there are several rifles that would knock the PSG1 off your list, even price not concidered. Starting with some of the quality "AR10 target type" rifles.

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ar10T 20" for med to long range semi, 4-14x44 FFP/ mil/mil Falcon.</div></div>

You want one of these or you already have one? If you're in the market I may have this rifle/optic for sale shortly. </div></div>Thanks...mine is a list of what I already have.

Anyone have experience with the Kriss Super V for the CQB category? Looks pretty nice if you get the SBR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Am180man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For suppressing the 338LM look no further than below....truly amazing!
Steve

http://www.eliteiron.net/elite-iron-suppressors-page6b.html </div></div>

You can't even buy one yet so unless you want to wait around I would look further.

In fact, I would look here. Doesn't get much better than that for .338LM IMO.

It's pointless to argue in "Perfect/Ultimate Collection" threads. People have different priorities and usually haven't shot most of the stuff they're drooling over. Heck, a lot of it isn't even for sale (or for sale yet), so how is someone going to tell it's super-awesome when virtually nobody has shot one?

But from a practical point of view, here's what I own and actually shoot in these applications:

1. Extreme range rifle: Well, it depends what extreme range is doesn't it? For shooting 1000-1800 yards, I'd just as soon take my AI-AWM rebarelled to 7mm RM, than my AWSM .338 or AW50. It's easier and cheaper to shoot and has less recoil. I lose maybe 250 yards total maximum range to a .50 shooting AMAXs, and maybe 100 yards to a .338. I use a S&B on my 7 and use a 30P-1 can.

2. Best long range: My AI-AW in .260, with 3-12 S&B and suppressor has helped me win more long-range matches than any other rifle. Hard to argue with results like that. It's never failed me.

3. Best mid range bolt: Huh? Missing mid-range targets in a long-range match is generally how you lose. Why would I want a less capable bolt gun? Gimme my .260 again. If you want to press it, I'd take my 24" AWP shooting surplus ammo to be "cheap."

4. Best mid range semi-auto: That's virtually the definition of a 3-Gun carbine for matches in the Rocky Mountain Region. I've used the same setup 17" MSTN RLGS with TA11 ACOG since 2004.

5. Best pistol: Give me a Glock 19 for anything defense related, or a SV 2011 in 9x19 for a competition race-gun. Those have worked for me the last 7 years...

-z

Any thoughts or notes of accuracy for the AI AW 308 vs Steyr SSG vs trg42 308?