• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Perfect Pickled Egg 🥚

forrestgump01

Once a deplorable, always a deplorable!
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2013
    Georgia
    Ok , who likes pickled eggs ?
    Let's share your best /favorite pickled egg recipes.
    Nothing says methane gas and climate destruction like a really good pickled egg .
    Since the asteroid won't show up let's see if we can burn a hole in the ozone and end it .

My favorite recipe
    22 - 24 eggs for a half gallon mason jar
    11 - 12 eggs for a quart mason jar

Ingredients for 1 quart - double for half gal

2 tablespoon sugar
    2 tablespoon kosher or pink salt
    1 tablespoon garlic
    1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
    Boil 3/4 cup water / 1 cup vinegar
    Put ingredients in bottom of jar , add eggs , pour boiling mix into jar , top off w vinegar .
    Let cool and put in refrigerator for minimum of 10 days

If you don't refrigerate and want it to sit on a shelf then water bath it for 15 minutes.

Ok I changed garlic to roasted garlic, sugar to maple syrup, red pepper too two tbsp, and added two tbsp peppercorns.

I'll let you know in two weeks.

4 cups 50/50 white vinegar and water. Kosher Salt about 2 tablespoons. Black pepper corns, mustard seeds, garlic (lots of garlic) and a bay leaf. 3 or 4 canned chipotle peppers in adobo and a couple tablespoons of the adobo to taste/heat. Heat it to a simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool and cover as many eggs as can fit in yer bigass jar. Put 'em in 'fridge for at least 10 days.

This also does asparagus, green beans, cucumbers and everything ends up snappy crisp and tangy hot and smokey.

VooDoo

Just curious, but when you stated above "Pink Salt" I'm going to guess that you're referring to "Himalayan Salt" and not the charcuterie chemical known as "Pink Salt"?

Otherwise, the whole concept of "Pickled Eggs" is a good one, and one that we're working on gearing up for, here. Thanks for this.

Gotta get ready for the season.

Sean

Nothing says methane gas and climate destruction like a really good pickled egg .
    Since the asteroid won't show up let's see if we can burn a hole in the ozone and end it .
    Eat them along with a 6 pack of Schlitz beer and see what happens. It's almost magical.

Stank you,
    MrSmith

Just curious, but when you stated above "Pink Salt" I'm going to guess that you're referring to "Himalayan Salt" and not the charcuterie chemical known as "Pink Salt"?

Otherwise, the whole concept of "Pickled Eggs" is a good one, and one that we're working on gearing up for, here. Thanks for this.

Sean
    I assumed Prague Powder.

Ok , who likes pickled eggs ?
    Let's share your best /favorite pickled egg recipes.

My favorite recipe
    22 - 24 eggs for a half gallon mason jar
    11 - 12 eggs for a quart mason jar

Ingredients for 1 quart - double for half gal

2 tablespoon sugar
    2 tablespoon kosher or pink salt
    1 tablespoon garlic
    1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
    Boil 3/4 cup water / 1 cup vinegar
    Put ingredients in bottom of jar , add eggs , pour boiling mix into jar , top off w vinegar .
    Let cool and put in refrigerator for minimum of 10 days

If you don't refrigerate and want it to sit on a shelf then water bath it for 15 minutes.
    Nah man...if you don't eat them red/pinkish eggs out of a giant pickle jar on the bar of some juke joint with peanut shells on the floor then you just aren't getting the full gastronomic experience, IMO.

EZ button:

When I finish a jar of Clausen kosher pickles, I'll boil up some eggs, peel them and drop them in the jar while they're still hot. Let that sit in the fridge for 2 or 3 weeks and you'll have some absolutely delicious pickled eggs.

My Grandma used to do pickled beets and eggs. She would throw in quite a few of "cat peter peppers" those little red dried peppers.

Damn, I wish I had paid more attention to ingredients when I would help her make them. They were great.

So lemme ask you this. What if you just save the pickle juice and jar from a jar of pickles and put boiled eggs in there?

I did, I had three jars of Bread & Butter pickles sans the pickles and I put boiled eggs in them and left them for for a few days. They turned out rubbery skinned and slightly greenish but were ok, different than plain boiled eggs.

I love pickled eggs. And homemade pickles - so much better then store bought.

Anyways, you need more spice in there. Each jar of pickled eggs should have a couple of habaneros in there, with the tops chopped off to expose the seeds.

Mustard seeds and fresh dill are also good additions to pickled eggs.

I assumed Prague Powder.
    Up here, it isn't "pink" colored.

It is just called "Sodium Nitrite". Also labeled as "Pickle Cure". Point being, it takes a VERY SMALL amount of it, added to a VERY LARGE amount of meat, to 'do the job it is intended for'.

We're told up here, that it is only "in the U.S.A" where the product is colored 'pink' just to set it aside. Hence why so many recipe's called for "pink salt". Or "Prague Powder". There are other names for it, too.

I say all this, and am HAMMERING on it, because of the fact that the stuff is POISON. As a tiny amount of it is added to a large amount of meat, OVER TIME it goes through a transformation process and turns 'non-poisonous'.

Ya'll may think I'm being ridiculous, and that's fine. I just want it inherently CLEAR that when a small recipe calls for (what's known as) a LOT of poison... that maybe we "clarify" a touch, eh?

I could jump on the bandwagon and say "It's for the children" but in this case, it truly is. Eleventy different ways, it is.

Up here, it isn't "pink" colored.

It is just called "Sodium Nitrite". Also labeled as "Pickle Cure". Point being, it takes a VERY SMALL amount of it, added to a VERY LARGE amount of meat, to 'do the job it is intended for'.

We're told up here, that it is only "in the U.S.A" where the product is colored 'pink' just to set it aside. Hence why so many recipe's called for "pink salt". Or "Prague Powder". There are other names for it, too.

I say all this, and am HAMMERING on it, because of the fact that the stuff is POISON. As a tiny amount of it is added to a large amount of meat, OVER TIME it goes through a transformation process and turns 'non-poisonous'.

Ya'll may think I'm being ridiculous, and that's fine. I just want it inherently CLEAR that when a small recipe calls for (what's known as) a LOT of poison... that maybe we "clarify" a touch, eh?

I could jump on the bandwagon and say "It's for the children" but in this case, it truly is. Eleventy different ways, it is.
    Yeah, I guess the amount should have been a clue, though to be fair the sausage makers I've worked with called it either pink salt or number 2.

Sean
    Himalayan salt , pink in color.
    714a998a-796f-47dc-98f7-fdb6cab6d5ce.d49e73a5f256e43c6edf4ff006179aaa.jpeg

• Love
    Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    I don't have a recipe, but I have thrown many things in the brine from some Clausen pickles, including eggs, carrots and peppers.

Super easy.

Pickled eggs need to have some hot peppers thrown in for sure!

Reactions: diverdon
    ^ yep , the red pepper flakes give a good flavor but not any heat so I just did another batch of the above recipe and added a whole sliced jalapeño. Will see in a couplel weeks if its any good.

I could not wait the two week after five days they are ok. Need some hot peppers, and perhaps a bit of traditional pickeling spices.

My earlier, somewhat cheeky, response didn't address the original question.

Very early '80's', I was drifting for Union Carbide at Pine Creek just outside of Bishop, CA. There was a somewhat local, family owned pepper company that made High Sierra Chileno Peppers. About 7 or 8 of these were the perfect addition to a lunch ham sandwich. After a few days, peppers gone, the jar and juice remained. Three eggs fit the jar with juice and after as long as you could wait (hopefully 5 or more days) they were in the top tier of pickled egg perfection.

After leaving the area we would order a case when needed to augment lunches and create pickled eggs. A nice handwritten note was usually included with the peppers asking how we were doing. Story has it that the kids took over the business and didn't make it work so it was purchased by Bruno Pepper and the peppers are still sold as Sierra Nevada Chileno Peppers. They are still great and we still order a case now and then.. I have often wondered if they would sell just the juice so I could make eggs, but I have never asked.

Glad you made me think of this again. I have inquiries to make.

Thank you,
    MrSmith

Very early '80's', I was drifting for Union Carbide at Pine Creek just outside of Bishop, CA. There was a somewhat local, family owned pepper company that made High Sierra Chileno Peppers. About 7 or 8 of these were the perfect addition to a lunch ham sandwich. After a few days, peppers gone, the jar and juice remained. Three eggs fit the jar with juice and after as long as you could wait (hopefully 5 or more days) they were in the top tier of pickled egg perfection.

After leaving the area we would order a case when needed to augment lunches and create pickled eggs. A nice handwritten note was usually included with the peppers asking how we were doing. Story has it that the kids took over the business and didn't make it work so it was purchased by Bruno Pepper and the peppers are still sold as Sierra Nevada Chileno Peppers. They are still great and we still order a case now and then.. I have often wondered if they would sell just the juice so I could make eggs, but I have never asked.

Thank you,
    MrSmith
    That reminds me, Mahogany Meats in Bishop is the schiznit! Awesome smoked meats there; we stop by every year on our way up into the Sierras, chasing trout....

That reminds me, Mahogany Meats in Bishop is the schiznit! Awesome smoked meats there; we stop by every year on our way up into the Sierras, chasing trout....

Ahh. So true. It was there when I was. Visited twice. The most beautiful woman I have ever seen worked there. And the smoked meats were almost as delightful to behold.

And to stay on topic, I didn't see if they had pickled eggs.

Thank you,
    MrSmith

Reactions: MarinePMI

Thank you,
    MrSmith
    Quail's eggs are the answer if dealing with small jars.