• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Pierce 6.5x47 Lapua build is here!!!

Hasgun Willtravel

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2007
Ionia County, MI
Whent in to the shop to pay my last payment Friday and turns out, they were just going to call me. Build time, includig custom action was just a hair over 3 months, most of wich, was barrel wait time.

Specs:

John Pierce Custom Tac Repeater Action (http://www.pierceengineeringltd.com)
Chambered for 123 Scenars in 6.5x47 Lapua
PTG Bolt Body
Peirce made bolt comonents (handle, bolt, firing pin) all made to benchrest standards.
Sako style extractor
Side bolt release (all Pierce made)
20 MOA rail (Pierce made)
Pierce Made recoil lug (lug in pinned into receiver)
28" Broughton 1/8 Medium Palma Contour
Jewell HVRTS-A Trigger (poetry in motion)
AICS stock (Thanks Adam Baur) with custom painted skins (Thanks Highground)
Ceracoated Black

Nightforce 3.5x15-56 mil/mil is on the way Monday.

Here are some pics, I am thrilled to death with the results, truly a great, great feeling rifle.

Picture001-2.jpg

Picture002-2.jpg

Picture003-1.jpg

Picture007-2.jpg

Picture005-2.jpg

And it shoots better than it looks!

Picture008-2.jpg

Had to take some pics, while she was pretty, cause she wont look "minty" for very long!

Re: The Pierce 6.5x47 Lapua build is here!!!

Very, very nice man! And you beat me to it! My 6.5x47mm build is still with Karl.

Waited seven months for my Bartlein . . .

What amount of freebore did you end up with?

its the smaller free bore (.125) with the PTG reamer he used.

http://www.6mmhot.com/6.html

This is the link for the reamer information when I brought it in, I originally thought I would shoot 139-142 bullets, but he convinced me that the 123's were a bit more suitable for the cartridge, along with Hide members thoughts.

I have zero "things I wish I would have done different" thoughts here.

Very nice rifle. Im still waiting on my 6.5 x 47. Sounds as if you and I have the same Chambers. Are you touching the lands with the Scenars?

good Luck.

Jerid

Beautiful rifle! Awesome camo job too!

Best of luck with it.

Nick, that's a nice piece of kit!

John Pierce has forgotton more about building tackdrivers than many younger guys have learned. And he's a heck of a nice guy. Anyone enthusiastic about accurate long range rifle shooting would be well-served to stop by his shop with cups of coffee for him and the guys.

John built me an ELR rifle after a ten minute visit to his shop turned into a three hour conversation. The cost of the build did not include the value of the advice and knowledge I gained in the process about rifles and how they work.

My Pierce .300WM rifle, clamped down into a machine thingy, shoots bugholes...at 300 meters. This is off a bi-pod:
300300.jpg

Thanks Graham and Adam! Its a thing of beauty. I wanted a rifle built right, accurate, and that would last, and Pierce did me good.

I loved the fact that I could go into the shop and shoot the shit with the guys everytime. John has one hell of an operation, and anyone interested in a owning one of the nicest rifles money can buy, would be well served to do it now, before wait times are outrageous. Sounds like he has a hell of a lot on his plate, including making all of Creedmore Sports 6.5 tubeguns, and a rifle that he is submitting for the Marine rifle trials.

John, never once, did not have the time to answer my questions, and always showed me something new when I whent in, he is one of the friendliest guys I have ever met, let alone a smith with all he has going on, to show me the new actions coming out of the Mill, or the melonite coatings for barrels, that not even a file can scratch!! He will tell you what you need to know, and a shit load you dont, but its still interesting as hell!

The quality of people isnt what it used to be, exept at Pierce. All his guys are top notch and know their shit.

Great looking rig.
With 0.125 freebore, the 130gr Bergers should work well for you also.
Not familiar with melonite. Did you have it done on this rifle, and does it coat the inside of the barrel for longer barrel life ? Also, at what stage of the build would the melonite coating be applied.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Again, great looking rig.</span>

Absolutely beautiful rig. I'm beginning to wish I had gone with the 6.5x47 instead of a .308 for my build.

Thanks fellas.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bluejazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great looking rig.
With 0.125 freebore, the 130gr Bergers should work well for you also.
Not familiar with melonite. Did you have it done on this rifle, and does it coat the inside of the barrel for longer barrel life ? Also, at what stage of the build would the melonite coating be applied.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Again, great looking rig.</span></div></div>

Thats great news. I didnt think the bergers would have enough room. A 42.5gr charge is actually a compressed load with H4350.

They melonite the barreled action, I beleive all of it, instead of paint. It dries a black ultra flat color with a hint a gray almost, its so flat. It does coat the interior, wich is the entire point, barrel life supposedly triples. The coating is like a hot blue salt type application, in tanks, and it DOES increase the rockwell hardness of all surfaces. He sends it off to somplace in (Canton?) Ohio.

I did not do it to this rifle, I suppose I still could, I just need to be able to put it down for a while, wich I am unwilling to do.

nice stick there! do you think the 140Amax would work in it or would you have to shoot the 120s? im asking because here in europe you would have to go with the Amax as an accepted bullet for hunting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flims</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice stick there! do you think the 140Amax would work in it or would you have to shoot the 120s? im asking because here in europe you would have to go with the Amax as an accepted bullet for hunting</div></div>

There is a link above that I posted from 6mmbr.com that states reamer part numbers from PTG. There is a reamer that allows for .160 freebore, wich would allow usaage of 139/140/142 grain bullets comfortably. I have loaded up a couple rounds to magazine length for the AI mag with 142 SMK's, and they are OK, but with H4350, there is a little too much powder in there for seating the bullets so deep, my chamber was cut with the intent of shooting 120/123 grain bullets (.125 freebore), but its all in the reamer you use.

Thanks 7mmRm, you have really good taste in rifles, so thats a good compliment!