• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Polished Turd

kyshootnman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2012
Greensburg, KY
I realize HS Precision stocks aren't top of the line, but here is my attempt of making one more comfortable for me. Being a college student my budget is limited, so I have to make due until later on. The rifle is a Remington trued action, Krieger 1 in 8", BGW brake. Has anyone else made an attempt to make a HS fit them better?

Attachments

• 260.1.jpg
    260.1.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 260.jpg
    260.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 12
Which stock did you start with before you added the cheek riser, flush cups, camo'd and textured? Did you also modify the grip besides textured?

Nice job! Why do you think HS isn`t a good stock? I would rather have an HS than a Manners.

I used a HS Precision for years and they aren't garbage. I think he assumes they are because some rifles com stock with them. The only reason why I prefer a MC HTG is the palm swell is smaller

coming from wood stocks,I ever hated the hollow sound of my HS ...if the rifle seems unbalanced toward the front, and your HS is a former varmint stock, please note that if you'll remove the rear pad , you will find a huge cavity inside the stock, apt to be filled with any ballast ot choice, until around four lbs.of pure lead_

I filled mine with fiberglass and a 16oz mercury rod. Not sure if it helped too much with recoil but that rod is not coming out now....

Apparently you don't 'crowd' the receiver from looking at the eye relief of that scope! That adjustment would punch my eye out! Not a darn thing wrong with that set-up Dude! It ain't what a rifle looks like that's important anyway; rather the Dude what's behind the buttplate!

I think you did a pretty dang good job, and if it is a shooter, who really cares? If you are still struggling with fitment, looks like you could go with much lower rings.

Which stock did you start with before you added the cheek riser, flush cups, camo'd and textured? Did you also modify the grip besides textured?

The stock was just the Varmint Tactical model. Yea I added some epoxy to the front of the grip to give it a more vertical grip angle.

Nice job! Why do you think HS isn`t a good stock? I would rather have an HS than a Manners.

I think they are a great stock, they just seem to have a bad reputation here. I have 3 of them, and they work just fine for me.

Doesn't look bad to me.
did you do the cheek rest and sling mounts on the side?

Yea I made the cheek rest hardware, cut, and installed it. I installed the flush cups as well. The rear of the stock is hollow so I filled it with epoxy putty after I cut the riser section out.

I think you did a pretty dang good job, and if it is a shooter, who really cares? If you are still struggling with fitment, looks like you could go with much lower rings.

I agree on the rings. I couldn't find any low rings in stock, so I jumped the gun and bought medium. I'm going to replace them eventually.

Apparently you don't 'crowd' the receiver from looking at the eye relief of that scope! That adjustment would punch my eye out! Not a darn thing wrong with that set-up Dude! It ain't what a rifle looks like that's important anyway; rather the Dude what's behind the buttplate!

LOL! Yea I just got the rifle back from the smith to have the barrel set back and did a quick mock-up. It has been raining here ever since I got it back so I hadn't taken it out. I moved it back where I had it before on the rail. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

HS stocks get a bad rap around here. I've ran them for years, never had an issue. On my next rifle I might try a Manners, just to see what all the fuss is about. Don't discount thee HS stocks just cause they are not popular.

Thanks for all the compliments! Don't get me wrong, I think these are great stocks. I just couldn't get it to fit me properly without making the adjustments. It feels great now when laying behind it. The gun was shooting sub moa prior to the barrel set-back. I'll see what she'll do this round later this week. The new chamber is with the 260 tactical match reamer, but the original was just the standard 260.

Been on the can all day trying to make one like yours. No luck yet. Maybe I need more iron in my diet.

I have an hs on my build since its its in my budget and I'm going to do the same with my stock, with epoxy mixed with fiberglass powder and with a pvc pipe so I can take it out if I want

I have an hs on my build since its its in my budget and I'm going to do the same with my stock, with epoxy mixed with fiberglass powder and with a pvc pipe so I can take it out if I want

I made that cheek rest using all-thread and some lock rings that press over the threads and hold it at the desired position. It can be adjusted as well as removed. I cut a couple pieces of light metal and drilled holes in them to align it.

I used a HS Precision for years and they aren't garbage. I think he assumes they are because some rifles com stock with them. The only reason why I prefer a MC HTG is the palm swell is smaller

Somewhat the same gripe here although it's grip length. If HS would add 3/4" to the bottom of their grip It would fit my hand perfect.

Am considering just adding a thick "grip cap" of my own making and calling it good.

I didn't see a 'turd', but I did see your nice rifle. GREAT job, and thanks for sharing what you did and how you did it. I for one like HS stocks, even though my preference is McMillan. The HS stocks I've had in the past on various rifles have never given me a single day's worth of hassle. Good luck in your shooting.