• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Possibility of An AI AT In 22 PPC?

Servo93

Struggle Buttons
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2017
Minnesota
Every few weeks it seems like someone asks the question "Is it possible to get an AI AT in 223 Remington?". As most will probably know, it is not practically feasible due to the basic design of the action. However I saw someone mention in the last tread about using a 22 PPC as a close stand in for the 223 rem in an Accuracy International, this got my attention.

This is what I've found out so far; 22 PPC has a similar velocity to the 5.56 with similar powder consumption, I am assuming that the barrel life should be close to 5.56. Granted this is with load data for 50 to 55 grain projectiles as data using 60 grain plus bullets is hard to come by for the PPC, although from my limited research the PPC should work just fine with the heavy stuff. The bolt on the AI AT seems like it will work for the PPC without modification. I've played with some 7,62x39 (same case head as the PPC) in my AT and the bolt maintains control of the case as it is pulled past the breach ring, the round is then ejected cleanly out of the rifle.
Feeding looks like it would take some trial and error but it should be possible, the rounds seems to start in the breach well enough. I don't know if someone makes PPC compatible AW magazines but a standard magazine only works for a down and dirty mock up (using 7,62X39 for this) as they only feed well from the right hand side and don't stack nice.

I'd like to know what peoples opinions on this are or if I'm missing something.

The .030 case head difference would cause problems. They may have worked for you in a bench situation, but that doesnt mimmick true extraction. The feeding issue would be hard as well. PPC is another step shorter than BR, and those are hit and miss.

If you have a small firing pin what about a 22br? No bolt face diameter worries. Several companies make mag inserts that allow feeding of the br case from aics mags.

Supersubes, I wondered about that too. Last weekend I had a good conversation with a local bench rest shooter who told me that BAT tactical has a bolt face that is meant for BR (.472) and PPC (.441) bolt faces. I did a little digging around on the net and found that it is common for guys to retro fit a .472 bolt face with a larger extractor to help make up for the difference. Despite the smaller diameter case head the large AI extractor still gets a substantial bite.
Feeding issues, I agree, would be the most challenging.

spife7980, for the Draw of the PPC is good quality factory brass with out the need to neck turn or fire form. Although the the AICS mag conversions would make life much easier, do they do AW mag kits? And yes I do have a small firing pin, both the PPC and BR cases use small rifle primers.

Last edited: