• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Primer Supply chain

Pilsudski

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2020
Georgia
I just wanted to get further clarification regarding the substantial consolidation of the reloading component industry the past 30 years. It appears to me that a reloader, with some patience and persistence can obtain the powder, bullets and cases he wants and avoid the major gouging of opportunists. On the other hand, primers are almost impossible to obtain.
A quick bit of research reveals that there are only two domestic manufacturers of primers: Olin Corp (Winchester) and Vista Outdoor Corp (CCI, Remington, Federal). That is it! There were foreign suppliers for a time but I am unclear on their names and their current status. I don't know if they got caught up in the Trump tariffs.
I suspect that actual industry primer manufacturing asset capacity does not match the industry capacity to manufacture bullets and powder. My crude prediction is that at some point, active reloaders are going to face the situation that their powder/bullet stockpile far exceeds their primer stockpile. Then powder and bullets will fill the shelves again. Personally, my modest powder stockpile exactly matches my primer stock pile so I have no reason to buy powder unless I can add primers.
Only having two primer manufacturers is not a good situation for consumers. I have been in the supply chain business for 30 years and this is the classic case of bottling up the assets, restricting investment to regain pricing power. This is a savy business move so I am not critical of the owners, they want to run a profitable business. This means that neither Olin or Vista will expand their manufacturing capacity because there is no threat from a competitor to fill the demand, they can run the existing assets at full capacity and raise prices. It is a smart move because it is likely that at some point demand will weaken and they don't want to be sitting on excess capacity and have their product priced as a commodity. Of course this is not a good situation for the reloaders as they will continue to face extreme shortages and higher prices. The same can be said for the powder supply chain, but to a lesser extent. Hodgon recently added Ramshot and Accurate to their IMR, Winchester (Olin does not own Winchester powder), and Hodgon brands. That is about 80% of powder capacity in the US.
Does anyone have any specific knowledge or have connections in the primer supply chain?

No specific knowledge. Speculating ... before the rush, retail primer price in 5k units was less than 3 cents a primer. The current price is about eight times that high - costs didn't go up so someone is making a lot of money. This new situation (many new gun owners) offers a good profit for a new or previously active manufacturer in the marketplace. Given recent election results, I imagine statutory and/or regulatory actions to preserve the current situation.

Reactions: addertooth
Hi,

Business Rule #1!!
NEVER EVER NEVER EVER put out liquid cash, equity shares or LOC to:

A. Bring in additional equipment
B. Bring in additional personnel to run current equipment

During PANIC purchasing. It is guaranteed way to be introduced to the court appointed "Receiver" during your bankruptcy hearing.

Think about this for a moment.
Does anyone think there are more reloaders than those that shoot factory ammo?
Notice that pretty much every primer manufacturer also manufactures ammo?
Guess where they make more money at...
Guess who is guaranteed to get the lions share of the primer production...

Sincerely,
Theis

We lost out on Russian made primers because of import restrictions, and the primers made in Europe are probably not cost effective to import in small quantities, or at least in the past (maybe there's a container ship from Sweden full of primer heading our way right now??? Wishful thinking 🤔).
That leaves China, how desperate would you be to trust primers made in China?

I stock more of what goes oos quickest. Primers are cheaper and more fungible than other hazmats. Well they were anyway.

So I have more primers than powder. More powder than bullets. More bullets than cases.

There’s also Cheddite, S&B, and Fiocchi.

I stock more of what goes oos quickest. Primers are cheaper and more fungible than other hazmats. Well they were anyway.

So I have more primers than powder. More powder than bullets. More bullets than cases.

There’s also Cheddite, S&B, and Fiocchi.

Bet ya got more dicks than balls too huh?

Reactions: Cjl2010
There are a lot of strange things happening in our economy right now.

The market will stabilize, in the meantime, buy a nice longbow.

Reactions: jinxx4ever
Or go down a similar but primer-less avenue. They have modern Air Rifles which have 800fpe energy levels. Even my modest .357 caliber air rifle launches a 145 grain Nosler Extreme slug with 200fpe. (pictured below)

This way, you get to recycle all of your shooting equipment (gun bags, rests, bore cleaners, scopes, bipods/tripods, etc).

Bulldog left side.jpg