• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The " RDB Defender." Is Kel-Tec finally serious?

eastexsteve

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2018
NE Texas
The world becoming what it has, I've been looking for a serious "jump out of the truck and start laying down a lot fire" type of rifle, while avoiding the SBR shenanigans. Also, my 5'2" wife has always hated AR type rifles because of her short arms. I may have killed two birds with one stone here. I recently purchased a Kel-Tec RDB Defender, and I really like this gun. I have about 200 rounds through it, and I think Kel-Tec finally got serious with this one after building a reputation for questionable quality "novelty" type guns. To start with, this gun is light. It's a bullpup rifle weighing in at 6.7 pounds with a 16.1" barrel, and a listed overall length of 26". But, hey, this thing has a sliding collapsible stock that brings the OAL down to about 24" and it can be fired from the shoulder collapsed. (I wonder how the BATF missed this one LOL!)

My wife is loving this gun. Being a bullpup, the majority of the weight is behind the AR-type pistol grip, which makes it easily handled by a short-armed person. And, it uses standard AR magazines. It comes with a 20-round, but all of my 30 round boxes will plug right into it. It's also a lefty's dream gun. It ejects straight down, and all the controls are either ambidextrous, or can be switched over for left-handed use. And, it appears to have an AR type trigger group. But, one of the most surprising things about this gun is the trigger. Bullpups are notorious for having crappy triggers, but not this one. It's smooth with hardly any detectable creep.

We've got over 200 rounds through this gun, and it's a shooter. No hiccups. I put a Burris RT-6 1-6 LPVO on it, and I put 5 rounds the size of a quarter using 62grn full copper jacket Privi Partizan at 100 yds. Having a true 16.1" barrel, the velocity doesn't suffer. I can bang a 24" round steel plate with it at 600 yards shooting over a bag and never miss.

This thing makes a helluva vehicle gun. If your in the market for an SBR, you might want to look at this instead.

https://www.keltecweapons.com/firearm/rifles/rdb-defender/

Last edited:
What is the length of pull? Bull pups are notorious for being short overall, but having really long lop. Hell, “big guys” complain about lop as short as 13.5”…

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
What is the length of pull? Bull pups are notorious for being short overall, but having really long lop. Hell, “big guys” complain about lop as short as 13.5”…
Using a tape measure and measuring from the trigger to the end of the butt stock with the stock extended, it looks like 15-3/4". With the stock compressed, it measures 14-3/16"

If it can stay reliable with the feeding it should be a good deal

Reactions: eastexsteve
I usually find a brass or two in my shirt pocket after shooting session with the RDB.

Make sure she doesn’t wear any low neck tops when shooting the RDB, if she doesn’t want to get burned in her lady parts.

Reactions: eastexsteve
It’s best to let kel-tec come up with a cool design and then wait for someone else to rip them off and build it right. I’ll buy this thing when Ruger makes a clone just like did with the LCP .380 20 years ago 😉.

Reactions: FWoo45
Keltec is fucking garbage, no way would I trust my life to a keltec bullpup. My KSG was nothing but problems and that was manually operated.

Report back when you’ve got 5000 rounds through it, if it even makes it that long.

Using a tape measure and measuring from the trigger to the end of the butt stock with the stock extended, it looks like 15-3/4". With the stock compressed, it measures 14-3/16"
So still worthless then.

So still worthless then.
Not worthless, just different than a conventional carbine. Bullpups need more room in the back to house the guts of the rifle. It is what it is. The rear weight bias of bullpups also negates the need for the close and tight that most are more accustomed to.

Not worthless, just different than a conventional carbine. Bullpups need more room in the back to house the guts of the rifle. It is what it is. The rear weight bias of bullpups also negates the need for the close and tight that most are more accustomed to.
Maybe not worthless, and I understand why they are the way they are, but even in bullpups I find that LOP somewhat uncomfortable.

Maybe not worthless, and I understand why they are the way they are, but even in bullpups I find that LOP somewhat uncomfortable.
Apparently, It would be about perfect if you were 5’2.”

Apparently, It would be about perfect if you were 5’2.”
Maybe. I'll hack 7" off quick and try it.
I'm always skeptical of these things anyway, 9 out of 10 times a woman or child is handed an AR the guy pulls the collapsing stock out all the way, then the woman/child leans so far back to balance it that they almost fall over, then dude wonders why they aren't comfortable with it.

It has some similar features as my Springfield VHS2. Adjustable stock, adjustable gas system and AR pistol grip being three of them. I like my VHS2, but it is about 1lb heavier than the RDB.

Keltec is fucking garbage, no way would I trust my life to a keltec bullpup. My KSG was nothing but problems and that was manually operated.

Report back when you’ve got 5000 rounds through it, if it even makes it that long.
After today, up to 1,000 and still going. I field stripped it, cleaned the barrel, and looked things over after 500. It appears to be a piston gun, which explains why the breech area stays clean. I really like the adjustable gas system. It had a cap screw on the M-lock rail that was a bit loose. Everything else still appears to be tight though.

After closer inspection, the barrel appears to be made in-house at their factory in Florida. It's shooting dang tight for a 16" AR. It's definitely shooting as tight or tighter than my old Daniel Defense gun. Maybe Kel-Tec decided to put some serious effort into this gun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redlion and TACC
I love keltec. Admittedly a lot of their crap leaves the factory not fully ready for the world lol.

But they make cool shit. I have a cp33. Had a breakage on the bolt early on and sent it back. They replaced that and polished the feed ramp. Been 100 percent every since. Freaking super fun pistol.

I love keltec. Admittedly a lot of their crap leaves the factory not fully ready for the world lol.

But they make cool shit. I have a cp33. Had a breakage on the bolt early on and sent it back. They replaced that and polished the feed ramp. Been 100 percent every since. Freaking super fun pistol.
I shot one of those once. As I remember, it had a long sight radius and held a crapload of bullets. Pretty accurate, too.