• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Recipe Thread

The King

Back to the Range
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Sep 17, 2004
    Florence, CO
    I didn't see an overarching recipe thread, and I know that some of you cook. Fatasses UNITE!

I'll start out.

Hash Italiano
    -Hash browns
    -Mozarella cheese
    -Italian Sausage
    -Salt/Pepper
    -Garlic
    -Italian Seasoning
    -Green Onions are good here
    -Mushrooms
    -Olive Oil

1652886929600.png

1652887038022.png

1652887148379.png

That looks seriously good...and more Keto friendly than my disastrophe.

One of my favorite things to cook, I eat it regularly as leftovers for lunch. I don't like mushrooms but there are some good recipes using mushrooms and some other ingredients that look good.

I didn't see an overarching recipe thread, and I know that some of you cook. Fatasses UNITE!

I'll start out.

Hash Italiano
    -Hash browns
    -Mozarella cheese
    -Italian Sausage
    -Salt/Pepper
    -Garlic
    -Italian Seasoning
    -Green Onions are good here
    -Mushrooms
    -Olive Oil

View attachment 7872142

View attachment 7872143
    View attachment 7872145
    So, do you have a recipe (or anyone else) for the actual Italian Sausage?

There are many out there, with different variables. Thing is though, when making a 'batch' of sausage, I prefer to use one that is recommended, as opposed to simply 'found on the innerwebz'. Too often those were simple 'cut-n-paste' from somewhere else and then added changes to make it 'unique'. Not necessarily right, but definitely unique.

(some of ya'll might get what I'm trying to say here)

Reactions: Average guy
    So, do you have a recipe (or anyone else) for the actual Italian Sausage?

There are many out there, with different variables. Thing is though, when making a 'batch' of sausage, I prefer to use one that is recommended, as opposed to simply 'found on the innerwebz'. Too often those were simple 'cut-n-paste' from somewhere else and then added changes to make it 'unique'. Not necessarily right, but definitely unique.

(some of ya'll might get what I'm trying to say here)
    I do. But I drink wine straight off the grapes and put ice in my whiskey so I just grabbed some stuff from the case at Kroger.

It COULD be a thing that changes the flavor massively though.

The vast majority of what we do here, is cook from scratch. We also have our own rubs and seasoning blends that we make up with our 'good sized' spice selection. Hence why I was asking.

Since a batch of sausage is generally in the 15 lb or 25 lb size, we like to start off with something "tried and honest" as opposed to simply 'links' or worse-yet 'binder packages'.

Too often we've been burned with something we DON'T like, hence why we prefer to mix/blend our own. But that in itself is a long, tangential story.

I have dozens of "recipes" in my laptop/phone "notes" but if I'm looking for something new, I use Epicurious.

poors recipe

get country style pork strips from costco. not that long ago, you could get this for $1.29/lb
    still, comparatively cheap, so it is on the poors menu.

cut into chunks, season with salt, pepper and garlic powder, cover and bake for 3.5hrs at 300F, until fall apart tender.
    you can use whatever seasoning you want, and sometimes i use taco seasoning. this is just a baseline.

1dc9c23a7729a32974214d86ba655649.jpeg

once you have it all cooked you can divide it into smaller portions and incorporate into all sorts of recipes.
    you can cover some in bbq sauce and broil or bake until gooey...

iq1Wk6E.jpg

The Nom Nom thread has tons of food and plenty of recipes as well. Some mighty fine vittles get posted up from time to time

poors recipe

get country style pork strips from costco. not that long ago, you could get this for $1.29/lb
    still, comparatively cheap, so it is on the poors menu.

cut into chunks, season with salt, pepper and garlic powder, cover and bake for 3.5hrs at 300F, until fall apart tender.
    you can use whatever seasoning you want, and sometimes i use taco seasoning. this is just a baseline.

1dc9c23a7729a32974214d86ba655649.jpeg

once you have it all cooked you can divide it into smaller portions and incorporate into all sorts of recipes.
    you can cover some in bbq sauce and broil or bake until gooey...

iq1Wk6E.jpg
    That looks awesome. I'm gonna do that on my smoker this weekend. Only have an HEB and Sam's club near me so will search around.

Reactions: The D
    That looks awesome. I'm gonna do that on my smoker this weekend. Only have an HEB and Sam's club near me so will search around.
    Yes, I’ve done that before. It’s fantastic

Seems there was a thread about food laying around here, but I'll add this one as it seems "topical." @Bradu made me remember this heart attack on a plate I do time to time, so I'll drop the original recipe I ripped mine off of:

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/recipes/pork/bacon-explosion/

My opinions:

If'n you shop at the store-breakfast sausage is better than Italian IMO. Hot/sage/plain/whatever. That's just me.

You can easily throw in whatever sausage is in your hunting freezer. If'n you want recipes for misc. home made sausages, I rip this guy off a bunch: https://www.themeateater.com/recipes

So many people dug this "Bacon Explosion" thing, I had to limit making them to once a year or I felt I was killing my kids (and others). So a couple more opinions.

I like really spicy food so I'd throw in (mine or store bought) "hot pork sausage."
    I'd also throw inside chunks of whatever hot pepper you dig: jalapeno, scotch bonnet/habenero, ancho, whatever.
    I'd also dust the thing in red pepper/flakes for the BBQ sauce of choice.
    Adding cheese is not terrible.

I have a buddy who preferred this stuff with breakfast meals-side to eggs or whatever. He'd do:
    Maple syrup glaze with mild/plain pork sausage. (Instead of BBQ route)

It all eats fine fresh and you can cut leftover slices for sammiches, or as a side to whatever floats your boat-microwave reheats this pretty well. Point is: make 'em how you and yours like 'em and they are super tasty (although, may cause a heart attack I'm guessing-LOL-you are now warned).

Me and my buddies just call them what they are: Bacon logs. Enjoy.

Reactions: Bradu
    Seems there was a thread about food laying around here, but I'll add this one as it seems "topical." @Bradu made me remember this heart attack on a plate I do time to time, so I'll drop the original recipe I ripped mine off of:

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/recipes/pork/bacon-explosion/

My opinions:

If'n you shop at the store-breakfast sausage is better than Italian IMO. Hot/sage/plain/whatever. That's just me.

You can easily throw in whatever sausage is in your hunting freezer. If'n you want recipes for misc. home made sausages, I rip this guy off a bunch: https://www.themeateater.com/recipes

So many people dug this "Bacon Explosion" thing, I had to limit making them to once a year or I felt I was killing my kids (and others). So a couple more opinions.

I like really spicy food so I'd throw in (mine or store bought) "hot pork sausage."
    I'd also throw inside chunks of whatever hot pepper you dig: jalapeno, scotch bonnet/habenero, ancho, whatever.
    I'd also dust the thing in red pepper/flakes for the BBQ sauce of choice.
    Adding cheese is not terrible.

I have a buddy who preferred this stuff with breakfast meals-side to eggs or whatever. He'd do:
    Maple syrup glaze with mild/plain pork sausage. (Instead of BBQ route)

It all eats fine fresh and you can cut leftover slices for sammiches, or as a side to whatever floats your boat-microwave reheats this pretty well. Point is: make 'em how you and yours like 'em and they are super tasty (although, may cause a heart attack I'm guessing-LOL-you are now warned).

Me and my buddies just call them what they are: Bacon logs. Enjoy.

That looks like a variation of what I seen called a fatty but even better. We do the bacon weave with 50% breakfast sausage/ 50% lean hamburger with sautéed onions and peppers along with cheese.

I'm liking the idea of the cooked bacon inside. May have to try that next time.

I found this Kinder’s seasoning at Costco and I love it.

Sprinkled over some back straps and cooked on med-high heat in a pan with a few small pieces of bacon and cook until browned on the outside.

Served Pittsburgh rare or less.

Asparagus, mushrooms and bacon on the side.
    7E578054-15D5-414C-9C54-19DBD548B6CA.jpeg
    65F8140A-3AE3-4B64-A688-401D60316014.jpeg
    266188ED-73A6-4540-B871-CB192AC7E0F4.jpeg

91A24455-0EF4-4B39-8F27-D7C347B30519.jpeg

That looks like a variation of what I seen called a fatty but even better. We do the bacon weave with 50% breakfast sausage/ 50% lean hamburger with sautéed onions and peppers along with cheese.

I'm liking the idea of the cooked bacon inside. May have to try that next time.
    That is what I'm saying.

Make it "yours" and that shit is is amazing. Cooked bacon is a huge plus IMO.

Enjoy how you best see fit. It is not healthy, but yummy as shit! LOL- I can atest to that!

Reactions: Bradu
    None of these are really recipes, more like...concepts. Though I am more than happy to share more details. But I was having a thing with figs for a minute. Highly, HIGHLY underrated fruit.

Attachments

• IMG_3755.JPG
      IMG_3755.JPG
      387.6 KB · Views: 40
    • IMG_3762.JPG
      IMG_3762.JPG
      447.7 KB · Views: 42
    • IMG_3157.JPG
      IMG_3157.JPG
      554 KB · Views: 42
    • Love
    Reactions: n2ishun and BLEE
    Made this for supper and have leftovers for lunch this week
    20220605_185153.jpg
    20220605_163212.jpg
    20220605_162518.jpg

Reactions: theLBC
    Is that bacon made of tissue paper?

Not sure what the fuck happened to it. It's the bacon we always get at Sam's club but for some reason it shriveled up. Regardless, it's still the best tasting bacon I've found.

Reactions: akmike47
    Is that bacon made of tissue paper?
    If you get the WalMart house brand (Great Value I think) bacon, it is super thin, cooks very fast, and is honestly some of the best bacon I've had.
    I'll wager that's what was used here.
    Of course Petit Jean bacon is still better, but it's hard to find when you're not in Arkansas.....and I'm not.
    Petit Jean peppered bacon rules.
    $17 for 3x 24 ounce packages is not a bad price at all for these days....glad I looked it up :)
    Looks like that is 4.5 lbs......can that be right ?

The ultimate poors / bachelor / can't or don't want to cook recipe

only skill is to be able to open a can
    then hope you survive the sodium overload ;)

If you get the WalMart house brand (Great Value I think) bacon, it is super thin, cooks very fast, and is honestly some of the best bacon I've had.
    I'll wager that's what was used here.
    Of course Petit Jean bacon is still better, but it's hard to find when you're not in Arkansas.....and I'm not.
    Petit Jean peppered bacon rules.
    $17 for 3x 24 ounce packages is not a bad price at all for these days....glad I looked it up :)
    Looks like that is 4.5 lbs......can that be right ?
    I could eat 4.5lbs of bacon

3 cups rice
    12 cups water

Add to pot and boil

Eat with chopsticks
    Har har. Actually, it was funny. Seems like the recipe the world over too.

This dish is actually pretty damn good. Comes out surprisingly well - I just call it JRS because it seems kinda Japanese-ey.

Har har. Actually, it was funny. Seems like the recipe the world over too.

This dish is actually pretty damn good. Comes out surprisingly well - I just call it JRS because it seems kinda Japanese-ey.
    Now imagine eating watery rice with chopsticks

I did not get a deer last season but someone I know did. Normally, I have to make due with Holmes Pork and Venison Sausage that I get from Kroger. But I have received some bountious harvest. Including some venison burgers mixed with pork fat. I used a griddle pan on my gas stove top. Chopped some onion and baby sweet peppers and mushrooms. Dusted each side of the patties with Diamond Dale's seasoning. Carefully watched and flipped and took off a little soon. I like medium rare.

I also had some broccoli crowns that I would dip in sour cream. It was heaven. I have to say that I was proud of myself and deservedly so.

But I did not think to take pics.

None of these are really recipes, more like...concepts. Though I am more than happy to share more details. But I was having a thing with figs for a minute. Highly, HIGHLY underrated fruit.
    Try figs on pizza. Oh, it's soooo good.

Reactions: ArTeeKay
    Would kill for 5 lbs of fresh black figs and I look for them all the time.
    Where the hell did you find them ?

Yes, yes, I know it's an older post...maybe *someone* knows where I can get fresh figs ?
    The best I have been able to do is some fig jam....and that's a poor substitute for fresh.
    When I was a kid out west I knew of both black and green fig trees locally and it was never beneath me to raid the trees on the way to or from school.

Would kill for 5 lbs of fresh black figs and I look for them all the time.
    Where the hell did you find them ?

Yes, yes, I know it's an older post...maybe *someone* knows where I can get fresh figs ?
    The best I have been able to do is some fig jam....and that's a poor substitute for fresh.
    When I was a kid out west I knew of both black and green fig trees locally and it was never beneath me to raid the trees on the way to or from school.

I ran a high end kitchen and so had a couple vendors who hooked me up. I had 6 weeks a year, between late June and August, where I could order them, and I believe they came out of Texas. That was my jam. Figs, really good stone fruits, blackberries from Oregon that would make you slap your mama.

I'll lay down a legit recipe that's a bit technical, but I believe in all of you.

Trout En Papillote, makes one serving

6-8 oz Trout Fillet, skin on
    1/4 cup fresh blackberries
    2 fresh mission figs
    2 leaves fresh swiss chard
    5-6 golden fingerling potatoes
    Kosher Salt
    Black peppercorns
    Thyme
    Tarragon

Pat dry, and score skin of trout fillet.

Finely chop thyme and tarragon, then blend with salt and finely ground black pepper, combining until salt becomes coarse.

Slice in half, then season and roast fingerling potatoes until just under tender, approximately 375° for 12-18 minutes. YMMV.

Chiffonade chard leaves into 1/8-1/4" ribbons, reserving stems and chopping coarsely.

Slice figs and blackberries into quarters.

Prepare parchment.

In parchment wrapper, place fingerling potatoes, chard stems, half chard leaves, trout fillet skin up, remainder of chard leaves, blackberries, and figs, seasoning all well with herb/S&P mixture. Don't overdo it but don't underdo it.

Seal parchment wrapper by folding neatly, and roast at 375° until fish is cooked and potatoes are tender, approximately 18-25 minutes, depending on fish.

Serve immediately, and unwrap pouch at table. Enjoy.

Try figs on pizza. Oh, it's soooo good.

One of my very favorite topping combinations for a Neapolitan pizza is a really spicy Coppa, some gently dried figs, and a fresh herbed goat cheese, all over a light tomato base, with plenty of olive oil and a good sprinkle of salt... Mmmm.

I definitely know black berries, raspberries, etc, well.
    Take a canoe trip down the Sacramento river from the dam just north of Red Bluff south.
    Every sandbar out there is LOADED with berries.
    You can easily fill a good sized ice chest if you take a leather glove (lots of stickers in those brambles).
    One gloved hand to handle the vines, one bare hand to pick.
    It's a whole Michael Jackson thing I guess.....

Cook down about 1.5 quarts of black berries with a little water some sugar and some vanilla and pass it thru a mesh sifter to remove the seeds.
    Keep cooking it till it reduces by at least 30%.
    Pour that over some grilled pork chops and you'll think you died.
    Do the same with fresh apricots and it's even better.

Up here in Montucky, berry season is short. And most of those get eaten by birds and bears. We do have huckleberries, but I'd take blackberries or apricots 8 days a week. Got me wishing for some waffles now just thinking about it...

Reactions: Ronws
    Up here in Montucky, berry season is short. And most of those get eaten by birds and bears. We do have huckleberries, but I'd take blackberries or apricots 8 days a week. Got me wishing for some waffles now just thinking about it...
    "I'll be your huckleberry."