• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Remington made Mosin Nagant rifles

David LaPell

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2021
Adirondack Mountains
I have never been a fan of the Mosin Nagant rifles, of course, I know there's some allure to the Russian sniper rifles because of the stories, the movie "Enemy at the Gates" of course made them in demand in certain crowds, but they just never seemed to be that appealing. The Finnish M39's to me have been the best, but I have never really sought one out.
Last year my local gun shop picked up a Remington Made Mosin Nagant M1891 from 1917, numbers matching except the bolt. It ended up in Russia and has their markings, the Finns never got it, no import markings so who knows how it got back here, one of those stories lost to time. It has a set of numbers carved into the stock and the magazine, someone suggested a SSN but I checked it and it actually came up with a 70 year old woman from New Jersey. Also, SSN numbers don't have a letter anywhere. So who knows. The shop had it priced like a cheap surplus Russian gun, so I decided to take a chance, the bore is excellent and it has the slickest working bolt on any Mosin I've ever seen. At the range with even crappy surplus Russian made ammo it really shoots very well all things considered. While not a sniper rifle, it makes you wonder how this rifle if it had been modified and gone over by the Finns what it would have been like.

BHNiggg.jpg

p6doRGg.jpg

yFkRLPo.jpg

nne7j8a.jpg

Yeah, I'd have picked it up, too, with that kind of pricing, just for the novelty of it. It's a good conversation starter, if nothing else.

Love the feel and history of the Remington made Nagants. Oddly enough both I own and most others I’ve seen are matching except the bolt, another story lost to time.
they don’t approach the accuracy of the Finns but all the examples I’ve played with have been smooth, extremely so compared to “domestic “ Russian production

I am slowly trying to piece together a Remington M91. The Stock is the needle in the haystack, and a correct handguard is something I will have to get on "Fantasy Island," to obtain. I think have found all the majority of metal parts in various conditions.

Reactions: Davo308
The hand guards should be easy to find. I have seen them for sale before. I forget where. Try Liberty tree collectors for weird mosin stuff.