• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Retired Guy Thread

remaction

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2008
SW, WI
I'm 7 months into retirement after 42 years in the construction industry. Over the past few months, I've noticed guys commenting on upcoming retirements, where to retire, etc. and thought perhaps a "Retired Guy Thread" may be interesting. Hobbies, activities, exercise, insurance, vacation suggestions or questions (if vacation is a thing when retired), etc. Bascially, anything related to retirement and motivating us retirees to keep active and share info among others. Maybe it will work, or maybe the whole site is a "Retired Guy" thread.

I'll start it with a repost from my post earlier today:

Yesterday was a great day in retirement. A cloudy, damp, dreary 37 degree day here in WI. No reason to stay inside, so I decided to go squirrel hunting. It was quiet, almost surreal, in the woods. The squirrels were not very active, so I snuck around and sat around for about 4-1/2 hours to get the limit. That was the first time in 42 years that I didn't have to be somewhere, or be doing something else, when I went on a squirrel hunt. No time limit, no worries, no thoughts of work...a great day!

I'm 7 months into retirement after 42 years in the construction industry. Over the past few months, I've noticed guys commenting on upcoming retirements, where to retire, etc. and thought perhaps a "Retired Guy Thread" may be interesting. Hobbies, activities, exercise, insurance, vacation suggestions or questions (if vacation is a thing when retired), etc. Bascially, anything related to retirement and motivating us retirees to keep active and share info among others. Maybe it will work, or maybe the whole site is a "Retired Guy" thread.

I'll start it with a repost from my post earlier today:

Yesterday was a great day in retirement. A cloudy, damp, dreary 37 degree day here in WI. No reason to stay inside, so I decided to go squirrel hunting. It was quiet, almost surreal, in the woods. The squirrels were not very active, so I snuck around and sat around for about 4-1/2 hours to get the limit. That was the first time in 42 years that I didn't have to be somewhere, or be doing something else, when I went on a squirrel hunt. No time limit, no worries, no thoughts of work...a great day!
A co-worker of mine would hunt and can squirrel.

And he would hunt his aunt's property for old does that were not fawning.

Reactions: TACC and Grizz3153
Livin’ my dream. Almost there myself.

Well, there…already retired once…but still working. 8-years into career #2 post-military, and my fun meter’s pretty much pegged. I truly wish I’d have separated closer to the 20-year point, rather than sticking around as long as I did though. My second career changed my life in ways I could have never imagined before. Made a lot more money, but became a lot more cynical too. Never realized how ‘good’ most military folks are until you leave it behind and have to work in the real world.

This second retirement can’t come fast enough. I just hope there’s enough of the old me left buried in there somewhere to truly enjoy it! LoL.

Finding the "old me" is something I was also looking forward to. Enjoying life is at the top of the list after many years committed to the job. Success to me is now measured as enjoyment rather than bagging that trophy deer, etc.

Last edited:
Retired in 2007 at the age of 57 by living a reasonable, responsible lifestyle and paying cash for everything except my house which I paid off early.
Life is good!

I used to tell my still working friends that every day is Saturday, then I decided to really piss them off so now I tell them EVERY DAY IS MONDAY!

Last edited:
My most recent project was sound dampening in the FJ we bought in July, although I was actually surprised that it was not overly noisy in the cab when we first bought it. I had the time on my hands so I took out the headliner, rear panels, floor coverings, and the door panels. Sound dampened with X-Mat and then installed an acoustic foam product over the top. This should help when we get it out in the spring. The vehicle spent (it's a 2008) the first 14 years in California, and one year in WI, so the frame was in excellent shape. I also spent some time coating the inside and outside of the frame to further preserve it. I had about 50 hours in those projects.

I just hope there’s enough of the old me left buried in there somewhere to truly enjoy it! LoL.
It's there, just be patient. "The old you" will percolate to the surface, given some time.

I retired two years ago last August. It took me at least a year (maybe a year and a half) to unwind and greatly reduce my level of stress.

I think that we all, to one degree or another, suppress our emotions/feelings in order to deal with the constant bullshit that comes with most jobs. Consider it a defense mechanism. You don't just flip a switch, the bad stuff is gone and you go back to your old, good self.

Just take your time, one day at a time and it'll happen. You'll like retirement even better after the first year and a half.

Threadcutter 308, curious as to what career you retired from?
Everyone is different, but my "unwinding" and stress level dropped after the first month. People actually noticed it in my appearance. I was in charge of the company estimating for large bridge projects (we just finished a few projects in your neck of the woods). I'm not all the way back to my old self, but luckily I am not looking backwards. I do still have a little "baggage" left, but I don't let it weigh me down. If retirement is better after the first 1-1/2 years, then I can't wait to see what the future holds.

Retired/semi-retired/quit back in April. I take free classes/certifications to challenge myself. I did some contract work and probably will going forward but being selective about it. I still haven't gotten de-programmed yet. It just doesn't feel right.

I spend a fair amount of my time in the background of my wife's business.

Looking forward to this new state feeling better.

Will be finishing up managing my last construction project in early 2025 after 40+ years in the industry. Plenty of hobbies to keep me busy as well as helping out on the family farm. Thank the Lord I have been blessed with good health (broken bones and stitches excluded) and hopefully will continue to be blessed in retirement.

Threadcutter 308, curious as to what career you retired from?
Everyone is different, but my "unwinding" and stress level dropped after the first month. People actually noticed it in my appearance. I was in charge of the company estimating for large bridge projects (we just finished a few projects in your neck of the woods). I'm not all the way back to my old self, but luckily I am not looking backwards. I do still have a little "baggage" left, but I don't let it weigh me down. If retirement is better after the first 1-1/2 years, then I can't wait to see what the future holds.
I was the Western Region Manager for a Power Semiconductor Manufacturer, based out of Germany. Every "manager" I ever had was inept and "needy" I spent as much of my time catering to their (petty) needs as I did selling/going out and finding new business. One manager in particular would call me and argue with me for hours a day on subjects that I knew what was going on and he was clueless.

That's kind of it in a nutshell. I don't really want to go into greater/further details. It's behind me now, I've destressed and life is good.

Final point though is that I liked what I was doing and if they had just left me alone, I'd probably still be doing it.

Last edited:
Seven years left to my finish line and I cannot wait. I'm currently developing people to replace me and I cannot wait to leave it in their hands.

I look forward to the day I only have to carry one phone and only answer the calls I want to...

Retired at 55, 10 yrs in. I am not a tourist, but will travel for activities. I need more hobbies, but lack the desire to try most of them.
I shoot an awful lot, and did manage hits at 800 yards Thursday with standard 22LR target ammo, not much standard about the rifle though, it was easier than I thought it would be.

One thing I have learned in retirement, most have no respect for your time, adults are late and kids show up right now w/o giving you time to shower up, lol

Last edited:
I retired 5 years ago and thought I would do all kinds of fun stuff but alas, I married a younger woman and now have a passel of kids to raise 🤣🤣🤣
Yeah pretty much this.

I've retired twice and am still working a full-time job so I'm obviously not very good at retiring. But I'm on short-final to 60 and have 11 year old twins, so it's work for the foreseeable future. Fortunately I enjoy my job and it's about as low-stress one could hope for (until something goes wrong).

It will be 10 yrs for me in April '24, IIRC. I am usually doing "something" to either stay busy or be occupied in some form or fashion. Just sitting around watching the boob tube, or waiting for the next great thread on SH is not my style for the most part as a general rule. I compete in ABRA and ARA RFBR matches, go out west for pdog/sage rat shoots, local range for CF rifles, irritate the crap out of the wife of 30+ yrs, and stay in the dog house as a general rule. Life is good. ;)

Seven years left to my finish line and I cannot wait. I'm currently developing people to replace me and I cannot wait to leave it in their hands.

I look forward to the day I only have to carry one phone and only answer the calls I want to...

The person I was training to replace me lasted a few months after I left and then she left. One of the former partners asked me if I was going to jump back in. Hell no, it took me long enough to get away from there. Dealing with those idiots nearly drove me over the edge.

Final point though is that I liked what I was doing and if they had just left me alone, I'd probably still be doing it.
Most every retired friend I have echos this statement!
Just go away, leave me alone to do the job you are paying me to do so I can get it done! Quit adding bricks to the wall I have to climb over to do my job for you!

I retired in June 2021. Was at a point in life dealing with work that I just said screw it, I don't need this anymore. Now I wonder how I have enough time to get things done.

Since retiring I have added a covered front porch, remodeled an area off the master bedroom to expand the bathroom and make the rest of it a walk in closet/dressing room, and remodeled the main bathroom. Interesting working on a house that is 67 years old as you never know what you will find. Still have a front entrance and kitchen to do. I tell people that I am going to get a shirt that says "I thought I retired, now I work for my wife".

Best thing about being retired is now I can go fishing when weather and ocean conditions are good no matter what day of the week it is. Used to be had to hope a good day matched up with a weekend. This catch was from Dec. 13th.

PXL_20231213_200944430.MP (1).jpg

4 months in for me, sold my company. They hired me back to maintain some equipment that's specialized so I'm working 1 or 2 days a week on my own schedule. But I'm not dealing with any bullshit anymore. I do find myself wondering wtf I'm gonna do to stay occupied. It's kind of weird not having anybody seeking you out all day for directions.
I'm learning rhe art of the mid day nap, yes, they are great!! 😃

Health insurance is no joke and some planning several years ahead can take the sting out of it. Stockpile some non-taxable money that can be accessed for living expenses to reduce your taxable income until Medicare kicks in. The marketplace rates are based on taxable income.

where are you? look eatable but don't recognize those fish.
Southern Oregon coast. From the bottom up they are ling cod, black rockfish and there is a copper in there. All good eating fish. Lings are in the 5 to 7 lb range but can go up to 40+ lbs. Others are 2 to 5 lbs. Lots of fun on lighter gear. Probably toss back 20+ fish per trip.

In the area I go, you can never be sure what is going to be caught. Have brought 9 different types of fish into the boat.

Health insurance is no joke and some planning several years ahead can take the sting out of it. Stockpile some non-taxable money that can be accessed for living expenses to reduce your taxable income until Medicare kicks in. The marketplace rates are based on taxable income.
If you can sign up for Health Savings Account (not an annual use it or lose it flexible spending account), the money you put in it can be used to cover medical expenses after you retire. I had a HSA for 15 years or so, put money it in pre-tax and when I retired had north of $25k in the account. Can use this to cover insurance premiums and other medical expenses. Once you are 65 you can cash it out like any retirement plan or continue to use it for medical expense.

Has my first retirement almost 6 years ago at 38. Working towards another one as we speak. It might come sooner than later once my last kid graduates school in the spring.

If you can sign up for Health Savings Account (not an annual use it or lose it flexible spending account), the money you put in it can be used to cover medical expenses after you retire. I had a HSA for 15 years or so, put money it in pre-tax and when I retired had north of $25k in the account. Can use this to cover insurance premiums and other medical expenses. Once you are 65 you can cash it out like any retirement plan or continue to use it for medical expense.
Good point. We were late to the HSA game as I was not able to contribute due to having insurance through work. We do have a window until my wife and I are 65 (and begin medicare), so we are taking advantage of maxing out HSA contributions, as we can use IRA monies and avoid tax on the use of those IRA funds, as contributions to the HSA are tax deductible. I believe if you cash it out (after 65) for non-medical expenses, it will be subject to income tax, so it would be similar to using money from a 401k or IRA. So, in our situation, we will use the HSA funds only for medical expenses.

65 years old, CT. State Worker. Retired March 2017.
Used to hunt, shoot and fish when I was a younger man. Now looking to pickup where I left off. I thank the Lord that I have this time to do these things I love so much. Now all I have to do is stay healthy.

This is my year also just waiting for it to become unbearable, which is thread thin right now.

Its time to find a job to stay busy that I enjoy.

Definitely time to do more hunting and shooting in general and not have to worry about the phone and emails.

Reactions: Grizz3153
65 years old, CT. State Worker. Retired March 2017.
Used to hunt, shoot and fish when I was a younger man. Now looking to pickup where I left off. I thank the Lord that I have this time to do these things I love so much. Now all I have to do is stay healthy.
I was told stories a long time ago by people older and wiser than me. They said a couple of things;

1. Your employer won't miss you when you're gone and as long as you're putting in all kinds of free overtime, the only people that will miss you are your family/friends that you didn't spend that time with instead.

2. Stories of guys retiring well past the age of 65/66 and being dead within a year because of working too long. In fact, I worked with a guy like that at my last/final job. I did not make that mistake.

It is ultimately up to you to look after your best interests. No one else is going to do it, other than possibly a strong wife. Employers will make promises to keep you on the treadmill, then not deliver. Don't be a sucker.

Always look out for Numero Uno ;)

I was told stories a long time ago by people older and wiser than me. They said a couple of things;

1. Your employer won't miss you when you're gone and as long as you're putting in all kinds of free overtime, the only people that will miss you are your family/friends that you didn't spend that time with instead.

2. Stories of guys retiring well past the age of 65/66 and being dead within a year because of working too long. In fact, I worked with a guy like that at my last/final job. I did not make that mistake.

It is ultimately up to you to look after your best interests. No one else is going to do it, other than possibly a strong wife. Employers will make promises to keep you on the treadmill, then not deliver. Don't be a sucker.

Always look out for Numero Uno ;)
Profound statement. 👍 Should be a "sticky".

Haven't decided if I'm retired yet or not. Was in warehousing for 30+ years, the last 8 I had my own company. I was mainly an auto supplier, business went to shit with the beer flu and I closed the doors 2 1/2 years ago.

Timing worked out, my wife had some health issues shortly after that so I've spent most of the time helping her. She's about as good as she's gonna get, so I've been debating on getting up off my ass and getting a job.

Southern Oregon coast. From the bottom up they are ling cod, black rockfish and there is a copper in there. All good eating fish. Lings are in the 5 to 7 lb range but can go up to 40+ lbs. Others are 2 to 5 lbs. Lots of fun on lighter gear. Probably toss back 20+ fish per trip.

In the area I go, you can never be sure what is going to be caught. Have brought 9 different types of fish into the boat.
cool. well offshore cent fl have seen 20+ species off a 65' foot party boat. different trips but as i recall 6 grouper,6 snapper,spanish,kings,dolphin,wahoo,various sharks,cobia,grunts, 3 kinds tile fish. some trips 80-300';some to 1400. always wanted to fish cold water deep like you have there. alaska would be sweet but $ not happening.

I was drawn for a late season bobcat tag which started today. Found a hollow log along their travel path for this cubby set. Unusual weather we are having in WI this winter.

Reactions: TACC