• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The revised Kahles K18i-2 with a wider FOV

jh2785

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2021
Fort Worth, TX
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this (or I haven't seen it, at least).

Kahles has improved the K18i (now called the "K18i-2") with a wider FOV..... 100 yards @1x is 150 feet. That's pretty amazing, right?? I know some will not like that it's SFP but that's still an amazing little package.

I'm hoping that Kahles is going through their whole line up of scopes to WIDEN THE FOV ...... like the K318i, and others.

Anyone know if Kahles is doing this to more of their scopes?

I'd also like to see them do a 1.7-12 kind of scope like ZCO has in the works. That'd be cool.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this (or I haven't seen it, at least).

Kahles has improved the K18i (now called the "K18i-2") with a wider FOV..... 100 yards @1x is 150 feet. That's pretty amazing, right?? I know some will not like that it's SFP but that's still an amazing little package.

I'm hoping that Kahles is going through their whole line up of scopes to WIDEN THE FOV ...... like the K318i, and others.

Anyone know if Kahles is doing this to more of their scopes?

I'd also like to see them do a 1.7-12 kind of scope like ZCO has in the works. That'd be cool.
SFP in an LPVO ideal for me. Never found the need to run a FFP LPVO / carbine setup.

That FOV improvement is a big win.

I love how after all this time, there are still 2x distinct camps on FFP and SFP LPVO's...especially on 8x where it can go either way depending on how one uses the optic and either is viable provided its feature set is thought out well.

Like many others, this appears to have enough to be a viable LPVO...though (like ALL others), it has some drawbacks/blindspots.

Happy to see they got rid of that 2nd 2-mil dot that was fucking up the works on the previous 8x and 6x model 3gr. I had yet to come across anyone in a class or match that like or wanted to keep that feature.

This mostly caught my attention b/c a lot of people talk about how the Achilles heal of the K318i is the relatively short field of view. I'm hoping this is the beginning of Kahles improving other scopes in their product line to have a wider FOV like they did with the K18i-2. The ZC420, a 4x power.....has wider FOV than the K318i at 3.5x.

Reactions: lead ƒarmer
Most likely little talk on the K18i-2 because of price. A garden variety K16i, also SFP, has FOV 127ft at 100 yards on 1X and can be had anywhere from $1000-$1500 here on PX depending on condition. So one is paying close to double for an additional 23 ft FOV and extra 2x on the magnification.

Unless I am wrong, I believe Kahles glass quality for these two variants is the same. Having a K16i with the SM1 reticle, I can tell you SFP on anything below 8x mag is not going to be a detriment on a typical MSR rig. It seems the magic mag number people consider for FFP is 8x and up (Army's Vortex XM-157, a 1-8x, is FFP). Vortex's Gen 3 1-10x FFP has less FOV than both Kahles variants at 116 ft at 100 yards, but the lower street price, extra magnification, and Vortex's lifetime warranty seem more than adequate to make up for 34 ft decrease as compared to the K18i-2 in FOV on 1x.

This mostly caught my attention b/c a lot of people talk about how the Achilles heal of the K318i is the relatively short field of view. I'm hoping this is the beginning of Kahles improving other scopes in their product line to have a wider FOV like they did with the K18i-2. The ZC420, a 4x power.....has wider FOV than the K318i at 3.5x.

Agree since I own one. Eyebox is super tight beyond 15x. 3.5-15x it works great for me on my .308 bolt gun. 16-18x it is way too tight.

I own a Kahles 1-6x for 9 years now and love it to death. I still have yet to come across a 1-6x that matches or exceeds it.

I am awaiting reviews on the new K18i-2 scope compared to the 30 mm tube K18i. I can save myself $900 ($2100 vs $3000) buying the older 30 mm tube model vs the new 34 mm tube model. I have a DD5V3 that needs a scope, and I already have a 30 mm mount that I can use for it.

My eye sight sucks, and the only other LPVO I would consider is the S&B 1-8x Short Dot Dual. I've looked through it along with the K18i last summer when I visited Euro Optic. The Kahles and its Swarovski cousin blows everything out of the way, but the Short Dot Dual is great as well.....just not $2-2.5k more great. If I am shooting at distance, I never find myself shooting less than 6-8x anyway. I also lack a range where I can shoot beyond 100 yards at the moment.

Anyhow, awaiting reviews. They are still on back order at EuroOptic.

I'd rather get the Z8i which should be the same but with other reticles.

I noticed they have scrapped the IPSC reticle on the Kahles, the one with three dots (calibrated for two top Finnish shooters LOL).

Really keen on this. Hopefully someone gets one and does a review soon.

Reactions: glock24
SFP kills it for me personally, I’ve had a couple of SFP and just won’t do it again.
Disagree. I’ve yet to find a LPVO in FFP that works well across all ranges. And I’ve tried a lot of them ... before people jump on the bandwagon ... but what about my drops ... be real ... you are either at 1X for close shots ... in between 2x-3x for intermediate 200-300m shots ... and full blast for 300m+ ... FFP or SFP it doesn't really matter ... and I'll take the 1X performance of a SFP LPVO all day ... and the FOV at max mag ... too many trade offs with FFP LPVOs ... with outstanding illumination capabilities ...

Last edited:
Disagree. I’ve yet to find a LPVO in FFP that works well across all ranges. And I’ve tried a lot of them ... before people jump on the bandwagon ... but what about my drops ... be real ... you are either at 1X for close shots ... in between 2x-3x for intermediate 200-300m shots ... and full blast for 300m+ ... FFP or SFP it doesn't really matter ... and I'll take the 1X performance of a SFP LPVO all day ... and the FOV at max mag ... too many trade offs with FFP LPVOs ... with outstanding illumination capabilities ...
Good ffp options seem to only exist in the upper realm of the price spectrum. Fov is definitely a weakness of the atacr but I use the entire range of magnification often depending on mission. I often find myself 3.5-4.5 for distances well past 300. Dial up or down depending on movement, time, position, etc

Reactions: simonp
I've had so many FFP options ... I know its all the rage ... but man you either give up FOV or eyebox ... then there is the dreaded fish bowling effect at 1x ... for me ... there is none better than the Razor 1-6 ... or Kahles SFP ... I tell you what was my biggest disappointment ... Razor 1-10 ...

I've had so many FFP options ... I know its all the rage ... but man you either give up FOV or eyebox ... then there is the dreaded fish bowling effect at 1x ... for me ... there is none better than the Razor 1-6 ... or Kahles SFP ... I tell you what was my biggest disappointment ... Razor 1-10 ...
I didn't much care for that one either. I couldn't get it to focus through the entire mag range

Agree. The only place I find value in a ffp lpvo is using it at distance on 4-6x to minimize perception of movement in a hasty/semi-supported position, mind you this is in context of 5.56 in midwestern wind so something like an MDR-T6 has significant value to me. But I’m boned at 1x if my battery dies (Acro to the rescue!).

IMHO, the NF and vortex ffp lpvo reticle offerings have too many deficiencies in their design for comprehensive use outside of min/max magnification.

A well thought out SFP offers a better general purpose package in what an LPVO alone is tasked to do.

Agree. The only place I find value in a ffp lpvo is using it at distance on 4-6x to minimize perception of movement in a hasty/semi-supported position, mind you this is in context of 5.56 in midwestern wind so something like an MDR-T6 has significant value to me. But I’m boned at 1x if my battery dies (Acro to the rescue!).

IMHO, the NF and vortex ffp lpvo reticle offerings have too many deficiencies in their design for comprehensive use outside of min/max magnification.

A well thought out SFP offers a better general purpose package in what an LPVO alone is tasked to do.
Totally fair to feel that way. I 100% disagree but at the end of the day it really doesn't matter if it allows you to accomplish what you need accomished

Totally fair to feel that way. I 100% disagree but at the end of the day it really doesn't matter if it allows you to accomplish what you need accomished

The blessing/curse of the versatility of the LPVO. Depending on the platform, bullet, Target, conditions, and user preference…one man’s trash is another’s treasure.

The one question I’ve always wondered was are people doing business a certain way or are they choosing optics on how they do business. The chicken/egg of the LPVO

The blessing/curse of the versatility of the LPVO. Depending on the platform, bullet, Target, conditions, and user preference…one man’s trash is another’s treasure.

The one question I’ve always wondered was are people doing business a certain way or are they choosing optics on how they do business. The chicken/egg of the LPVO
They should be choosing on what meets their criteria. Unfortunately this community (not specific to the hide) tends to shame people into purchasing the wrong thing based on personal feelings

They should be choosing on what meets their criteria. Unfortunately this community (not specific to the hide) tends to shame people into purchasing the wrong thing based on personal feelings

A lot of things in this industry/community aren’t what they should be 😤

Everyone needs to subscribe to this channel. He is doing good equipment reviews. I wish they would re-monetize these guys.

Anyhow, I am glad I bought my S&B Short dot dual. This scope however has a role in 3 gun matches. I’m sure some day they will make a real tactical LPVO.

FWIW, I had a K16i and loved it. Bought a K18i and immediately wanted to go back to the K16i. The k18i is an outstanding optic, but I found it a home on a Ruger #1. As an LPVO on an AR platform, the K16i was better because I found myself shooting the K18i a LOT at 5-6x, which sucks for SFP. Never had this problem with the K16...it was essentially binary. On the K18i, often I would go to 8x for the holds, but lose too much FOV to keep multiple targets in view at once.

TLDR: My opinion is that SFP is fine for up to 6x on an LPVO. At 8x and above I much prefer FFP.

FWIW, I had a K16i and loved it. Bought a K18i and immediately wanted to go back to the K16i. The k18i is an outstanding optic, but I found it a home on a Ruger #1. As an LPVO on an AR platform, the K16i was better because I found myself shooting the K18i a LOT at 5-6x, which sucks for SFP. Never had this problem with the K16...it was essentially binary. On the K18i, often I would go to 8x for the holds, but lose too much FOV to keep multiple targets in view at once.

TLDR: My opinion is that SFP is fine for up to 6x on an LPVO. At 8x and above I much prefer FFP.
Agree. I own a K16i. Love it. It sits on a 16” AR in 5.56. I think second focal plane is great for 1-6x. Beyond that FFP makes more sense for long distance work.

The K18i-2 looks like a great hunting or 3 gun optic though. If only if I had time for boar hunting.