• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Rules of the Southern life (if this don’t incite a riot, you men are asleep).

Dead Eye Dick

Command Spec 4 (formally known as Wiillk)
Supporter
Minuteman
May 18, 2020
North Louisiana
Caveat (Ilike dem big words dont y’all? ). Its gotten a bit calm around here lately what with war in the east, hiden biden trying to win votes by helping the Israelites, and the congress don’t know what its doing. SOS. (Same old Shit).

To, to liven things up a bit, and see just how thick my skin is…here goes

(My favorite is #6).

Rules of the Southern Lifestyle

All good Southerners already know these, but in fairness to those Yankees who came to stay down here:

1. Don't order a steak at a Waffle House. They serve breakfast 24 hrs a day, so let them cook something they know.

2. Don't laugh at people's names. Merleen, Bodie, Luther Ray, Tammy Ann, Mari Beth, and Inez have all been known to whip a man's butt for less than that.

3. Don't order a bottle of pop or a can of soda -- this can lead to a merciless beating. Down South it's called Coke, even if you want a Pepsi.

4. Don't show allegiances to any college football squad that isn't an SEC team. All the others are a bunch of wusses who get to play Wyoming every week.

5. Don't refer to Southerners as a bunch of hillbillies. Many of us are/have been more literate than you (e.g. Welty, Williams, Faulkner), better educated, and generally much nicer to boot. We've got plenty of business sense (e.g.Turner Broadcasting, MTV, and Netscape). Naturally, we can have lapses of judgment from time to time (e.g. Clinton, Duke). We don't care if you think we're dumb, we know better!

6. We are fully aware that the humidity is high. Quit your fussing, spend your money, and leave if you can't handle it.

7. Don't order wheat toast at the Cracker Barrel. If you do this, everyone will know you're from Ohio. Eat the biscuits like God intended and for goodness sake, don't put sugar in your grits.

8. Don't attempt to fake a Southern accent. Nothing will incite a riot faster.

9. Don't go around talking about how much better it is back home. If you don't like it here, take your Yankee butt back home.

10. We don't play lacrosse, hockey, or any of those other sissy Northern games, so don't ask about the scores. We...simply...don't...care.

11. We know how to speak proper English, we talk this way because we want to and we can. It's like playing jazz, you have to know how to do it right first.

12. Last, but by no means least...DO NOT try to tell us how to Bar-B-Q. This could lead to permanent expulsion and revocation of your work visa. Consider yourself lucky that we let you come down here in the first place. Don't push your luck!

13... You lost the war get over it
Well, I disagree. We lost the battle (1861-1865) but the war? No, look at the northern cities, rust belt is the name. Now look at the southern cities, Where what new industry and the relocation of many northern industry has located. Yep, we lost the battle but we Have Won the War…..the South has risen, jsut not in the way expected.

Let me make one point clear. I seriously hurt over the fact that northern cities have lost the industry that kept them alive. I remember visiting relatives who lived in Chicago when I was young. The place was nothing but jobs and industry, it was everywhere. What still sticks in my mind as we approached the city was the giant Sherwin and Willioms globe showing the earth being covered with their paint. Now, its nothing but a gang land, plus some wealthy neighborhoods with the wealth fueled by a paper economy. That is S A D!

But heck this is supposed to be light…WE WON!

Man I wish southerners would stop going on about their BBQ as if the rest of the country doesn't have the ability to boil some ribs and slap on some Sweet Baby Rays...
Winner so far !

Man I wish southerners would stop going on about their BBQ as if the rest of the country doesn't have the ability to boil some ribs and slap on some Sweet Baby Rays...
That wouldn't be what we called BBQ. That would be ribs. I've been all over the country and there's zero doubt where the best BBQ is, it damn sure isn't anywhere up north.

Each region has some fantastic food so I'm not sure why this matters to anyone anyway. I've never understood this BBQ argument stuff.

IMG_5060.gif

Caveat (Ilike dem big words dont y’all? ). Its gotten a bit calm around here lately what with war in the east, hiden biden trying to win votes by helping the Israelites, and the congress don’t know what its doing. SOS. (Same old Shit).

(My favorite is #6).

All good Southerners already know these, but in fairness to those Yankees who came to stay down here:

1. Don't order a steak at a Waffle House. They serve breakfast 24 hrs a day, so let them cook something they know.

2. Don't laugh at people's names. Merleen, Bodie, Luther Ray, Tammy Ann, Mari Beth, and Inez have all been known to whip a man's butt for less than that.

3. Don't order a bottle of pop or a can of soda -- this can lead to a merciless beating. Down South it's called Coke, even if you want a Pepsi.

4. Don't show allegiances to any college football squad that isn't an SEC team. All the others are a bunch of wusses who get to play Wyoming every week.

5. Don't refer to Southerners as a bunch of hillbillies. Many of us are/have been more literate than you (e.g. Welty, Williams, Faulkner), better educated, and generally much nicer to boot. We've got plenty of business sense (e.g.Turner Broadcasting, MTV, and Netscape). Naturally, we can have lapses of judgment from time to time (e.g. Clinton, Duke). We don't care if you think we're dumb, we know better!

6. We are fully aware that the humidity is high. Quit your fussing, spend your money, and leave if you can't handle it.

7. Don't order wheat toast at the Cracker Barrel. If you do this, everyone will know you're from Ohio. Eat the biscuits like God intended and for goodness sake, don't put sugar in your grits.

9. Don't go around talking about how much better it is back home. If you don't like it here, take your Yankee butt back home.

10. We don't play lacrosse, hockey, or any of those other sissy Northern games, so don't ask about the scores. We...simply...don't...care.

11. We know how to speak proper English, we talk this way because we want to and we can. It's like playing jazz, you have to know how to do it right first.

12. Last, but by no means least...DO NOT try to tell us how to Bar-B-Q. This could lead to permanent expulsion and revocation of your work visa. Consider yourself lucky that we let you come down here in the first place. Don't push your luck!

These are reasons I live 60 miles from Canada.

There are times in South Louisiana where people in North Louisiana could be called a Yankee..... It's a different world. ;)
"Laissez les bons temps rouler”

(My favorite is #6).

Especially this. Texas BBQ is with a rub on the meat, not sauce. Sauce, if you want it, is served on the side. And family reunions I have been to, the sauce is homemade.

Yankee is one who visits. Damn yankee is the one that married your sister. In Texas, I like to think that yankee is anyone north of the Red River. YMMV.

Bless your heart is not a compliment, for those who do not know. It implies that you are beyond hope.

The way I was raised (I was born in California and in 1974 at the age of 10, we moved to Texas, where my mother was from. She was raised near Texarkana but was actually born in a hospital on the Arkansas side.) you say yes ma'am to a lady and yes sir to a gentleman. I still do it to this day, even to people who are younger than me. It is a sign of respect.

In the South, we drink tea cold. Iced tea is a favorite. Some like sweet tea. Here is the difference. Sweet tea is tea that is brewed with sugar during the process. Unsweetened tea is tea that is brewed as is and you add sugar or whatever sweetener you want to it. I knew a lady from New York City and she said that weirdest thing about food in Texas was iced tea. She was used to drinking it hot in winter time.

Out in the rural areas, you don't just walk up to a door. You know the person first and you call ahead so that they know you are going to be there. This is one of the secrets to living a long life.

During the NFL season, come in, sit down, shut up, the game is on. Bringing beer will always get you invited again. (These days, don't bring Bud or Bud Light.)

Yeah, I know it's hot and no, it's not global warming. In Texas, we get days and weeks of 100+ F. We call that "August." And every December, you will find one or two days of turning on the air conditioner. Again, I have been in Texas since October of 1974 (49 years of living in the state since I was 10) and it always does this every single stinking year. My brother lives in Maine and their big worry is finding heating fuel. Down here, you make sure you budget for air conditioning.

Our son just replaced the Central Air in his home in Northwest Florida. Its not just budget for it anymore, it's damn near gonna take a family's entire Life Savings.

and a number 13 or 14 or who's counting anyway.

In the South, excepting Alabama, Everyone's favorite team is.....Whoever is playing Alabama.

(My favorite is #6).

First time I ordered an Orange Soda at a restaurant and had it called “Orange Coke” was an eye opener!

Awesome list. All true!

Reactions: mtrmn
I would not ever tell you how to BBQ.
I will just occasionally enjoy Ranch House BBQ, when I am in the area, who has won multiple trophies for winning BBQ contests in Texas.

That wouldn't be what we called BBQ. That would be ribs. I've been all over the country and there's zero doubt where the best BBQ is, it damn sure isn't anywhere up north.

Each region has some fantastic food so I'm not sure why this matters to anyone anyway. I've never understood this BBQ argument stuff.

Tried ordering brisket in Nashville. Was advised to go to Texas. (Um, ok. Deal). Now you tell me ribs ain't BBQ? Can I please have something ither than dried out yardbird and sauce, seems like that's about the only option left... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

mamma , Jesus , country , family ,Elvis not always in that order . there are bunch of ways to cook ribs that don't require a slathering of sauce dry rub , baked under ground which will taste completely different that baked in an over or on a smoker grill . not that sauce is bad just not everyone's taste all the time .oh you can dry age ribs , vacuum immersion ribs .

We boil our peanuts here, cause we grow em. Aint nobody so poor here we gotta eat a roasted peanut.

We fish for bream here, or "shellcrackers". If you want to take a surprise swim catch a bream and announce, "Oh look! A green sunfish!"

Its not Dollar General its "The DG" get it right.

We don't care if you drove 900 miles, and you are late for the beach. Slow your ass down through our small towns. Slow tractors use these roads cause this is where your food, clothes and gunpowder comes from. Its a long trip from Minnesota, a damn site longer if you plow into a peanut harvester in a blind curve at 60mph.

We like it when you visit. Enjoy your trip, be polite and act like a guest in our country...cause you are.

14. You don’t eat at Cracker Barrel. You eat at THE Cracker Barrel.
You don’t shop at Piggly Wiggly. You shop at THE Piggly Wiggly. Every place has “the “ in front of it regardless if it’s in the title or not.
Like THE Ohio State University

• Haha
Reactions: Sandhog308
mamma , Jesus , country , family ,Elvis not always in that order . there are bunch of ways to cook ribs that don't require a slathering of sauce dry rub , baked under ground which will taste completely different that baked in an over or on a smoker grill . not that sauce is bad just not everyone's taste all the time .oh you can dry age ribs , vacuum immersion ribs .

What is this fascination with ribs?
Where I come from(Eastern NC) we didn't cook butts, or "ribs" or any other part. We cooked the whole hog. We called it a "pig pickin". There were no ribs at a pig pickin. Pig pickin hogs don't have ribs. Ribs were eaten by the turning crew as a wee hours snack or breakfast, depending on the size of the hog. There were often large swaths of that sweet belly meat and jowl missing as well.
Unfortunately, that is quickly becoming a lost tradition and art that would rival Michelin star chefs.

Y’all is singular pronunciation of all Y’all. As in all Y’all damn Yankees go the hell back from where you come from. Take a few bus loads of illegals with you.

Reactions: 502Chevelle
Texas is not 'the South' sorry

Texas is geographically in the southern part of the US, but Texas is not culturally southern (east Texas, maybe yes, the majority of Texas no. Culturally y'all are uniquely Texans, not southerners (east Texas has some real southerners, but not enough to call TX the South)

Florida isn't the South either, its Florida, we have no idea what fucking mess FL really is, just not the South.

BBQ is smoked pork (Hickory) either chipped, chopped, pulled or sliced. There is a guy at your church that makes the best BBQ in the area and will do one up fer ya when he got the smoker going if ya ask him. Lots of good sauces you can add to that smoked meat just before you eat it, including Alabama white sauce ;)

Roll Tide

#9 for the win- everywhere. Every place that liberals move to this should be on the welcome sign.

There are times in South Louisiana where people in North Louisiana could be called a Yankee..... It's a different world. ;)
"Laissez les bons temps rouler”
I was told anything north of Alexandria, LA was YANKEE; you can tell the border by the red clay soil and pine trees.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
17. Replace “ing” at the end of every word with “n”. Example: go’n, fix’n, do‘n, work’n……..etc. It’s the south, why say three letters when one works.

18. Why run when you can walk, why walk when you can stand, why stand when you can sit, why sit when you can lay down? It’s hot, heat slows things down, so take it easy.

I've been all over the country and there's zero doubt where the best BBQ is, it damn sure isn't anywhere up north.

That’s the truth. I travel all over this country for work; I have been for the past 35 years. Any BBQ I’ve ever had up north that was remotely palatable, was made by someone who grew up in the south; never ever by a real yankee, ever. I had some “BBQ” in Indianapolis recently that made it into my top five worse BBQ I’ve ever had. It was obvious they had cooked the brisket in an oven then sliced it and put the slices in a smoker fired with hickory; possibly wood without the bark removed. Talk about a sharp nasty flavor. Ridiculous. Any one who tried that nonsense in the south would find themselves covered in tar and feathers, as they should be.

I spent 13 weeks in Georgia at Fort Benning in 1991, from March to June. Good God did it get hot the last month or so.

Then I was back for two weeks in 1996 during the Olympics.

I can't imagine living down there year round. I'm from Michigan, and I hate how fucking humid it gets here in the summer.

I do enjoy listening to a southern girl talk. Hannah Barron has a sexy voice with that southern drawl.

Texas is not 'the South' sorry

Texas is geographically in the southern part of the US, but Texas is not culturally southern (east Texas, maybe yes, the majority of Texas no. Culturally y'all are uniquely Texans, not southerners (east Texas has some real southerners, but not enough to call TX the South)

Florida isn't the South either, its Florida, we have no idea what fucking mess FL really is, just not the South.

BBQ is smoked pork (Hickory) either chipped, chopped, pulled or sliced. There is a guy at your church that makes the best BBQ in the area and will do one up fer ya when he got the smoker going if ya ask him. Lots of good sauces you can add to that smoked meat just before you eat it, including Alabama white sauce ;)

Roll Tide

Green oak makes some really tasty smoke.

The best bbq up north is in neighborhoods you normally wouldn't want to go to. If you're in east cleveland and see a dude slanging ribs and chicken out of a grill made from a 55 gal drum i promise you it'll be some of the best you've ever had.

Our son just replaced the Central Air in his home in Northwest Florida. Its not just budget for it anymore, it's damn near gonna take a family's entire Life Savings.

and a number 13 or 14 or who's counting anyway.

In the South, excepting Alabama, Everyone's favorite team is.....Whoever is playing Alabama.
Roll Tide

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
Sorry… even this damn Yankee knows the best BBQ is east Carolina… vinegar sauce and cracklins.

Fight me!

Sirhr
I actually agree. Been eating BBQ all my life. Tried it just about every way it can be made... And I'm just about tired of eating the stuff... But Carolina style sauce is still my favorite.

I'm working in KC right now and before I left everyone asked me if I was going to get some KC BBQ.🙄

Mike

We don't care if you drove 900 miles, and you are late for the beach. Slow your ass down through our small towns. Slow tractors use these roads cause this is where your food, clothes and gunpowder comes from. Its a long trip from Minnesota, a damn site longer if you plow into a peanut harvester in a blind curve at 60mph.
ill_kill_ya_stripes.gif

And boiled peanuts are foul

Tried ordering brisket in Nashville. Was advised to go to Texas. (Um, ok. Deal). Now you tell me ribs ain't BBQ? Can I please have something ither than dried out yardbird and sauce, seems like that's about the only option left... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
;) yeah I know it can be confusing. BBQ is pork first off, you will see some beef at places but it will be specified as such. The only choice you will have is "sliced or chopped" and possibly "inside or outside"( meaning , if you don't want the smoked crusty outer skin and such in your chopped up BBQ, you say "inside".

You are pretty much always going to be eating the butt, belly, front and hind ect of a pig when you get BBQ here, and it will have a sauce on it. Tomatoes and vinegar sauce of some kind. As you get up into SC, the same everything, accept the sauce. They do a lot of mustard base sauce. (It's ok if you put ketchup on it I guess). Then as you go further north, the sauce gets less tomatoes and more vinegar. All of our BBQ in thr actual south has sauce though, we don't really like any dry anything. This is why we fry everything.

Last edited:
I spent 13 weeks in Georgia at Fort Benning in 1991, from March to June. Good God did it get hot the last month or so.

Then I was back for two weeks in 1996 during the Olympics.

I can't imagine living down there year round. I'm from Michigan, and I hate how fucking humid it gets here in the summer.

I do enjoy listening to a southern girl talk. Hannah Barron has a sexy voice with that southern drawl.
Hell, there isn't anything that ISN'T sexy about that girl.

Signed,

A Yankee ;)