• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

the saga continues with my GAP built 6.5 Creedmoor

Blaster4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2005
Virginia
www.teamblaster.net
It's a week out from the Hide Cup and I figure I should finally clean that new 6.5 Creedmoor barrel that Moon twisted up right before the last Bash. This barrel had under 300 rounds through it and it was a hammer...no break in no cleaning for any of those shots.

Cleaning began and ended rather quickly however. Apparently a .30 cal Dewey rod won't fit in a 6.5 cal bore. Hey, who knew. I formed some new type of welding apparently inside the bore because that rod would no budge...totally fubar'd.

I can't even sleep that night and first thing in the morning I call Moon at GAP...I tell him the deal and he says no biggie he can get it out. Ok by me so I next day that overly long box to GAP. I'm hopeful.

I wait a day and then call Moon. I can hear it in his voice...the barrel is totally smoked...with all the gear he has there he could not budge that rod...not even a little bit. I was pretty sure it wasn't coming out anyways so i expected this. Poor barrel...I killed it at such an early age...I'll never forgive myself.

So here is where an excellent company and stand up gunsmith come to the rescue. Moon gets on the horn to Bartlein and has them jump through hoops to contour a new 6.5 barrel for my action. I'm getting a little nervous because time is ticking and I'm leaving for Waco Tx for a 3Gun match and wont be back until after the Cup. Moon calls me back a few days later and says don't sweat it just have a cold beer for him when he gets to Rifles Only. Ok buddy no problem.

The barreled action shows up after lunch the first day of the train up for the Cup...I'm pumped. I drop it in the A5 stock I brought and torque it down. Mount the new Nightforce F1 and re-zero with 4 rounds at the hundred yard line. Jacob helped my trigger squeeze out during the train up and I know that had much to do with me scoring well. Jacob and Frank took the time to fix up all of us...top shooters were there just for the train up which should tell you something.

I made my range card using Loadbase and 2820fps that Hornady has on the box for a 28" barrel which is what I use. This is where it gets even better. My data was dead nuts on the money for every yardline to the .10 Mil.with the exception of the 1000yd line where I needed .3 mils less. That is some pretty good stuff right there.

Turns out I shot my best match ever at Rifles Only. I came in fourth place. Considering the great shooters that where there that's pretty damn good for me.

I just wanted to thank Bartlein for rushing through that barrel to GAP...and to thank Moon for going above and beyond getting me that rifle so I could shoot the match. Stand up guy's over there at GAP.

These are the people I'm honored to shoot with and drink beers with at Rifle's Only. Life is good.

--KJ

Re: the saga continues with my GAP built 6.5 Creedmore

Kevin....you lead such a charmed life..........you prolly need to stand a little closer to the sunscreen next time buddy....

it was good to see you again.

Wow. That's amazing. Good to know there are still companies that take care of their customers.

GAP should also stand for: GREAT AMERICAN PRODUCT.

Just in case you didn't already know (
laugh.gif
), Dewey .30 rods will only work down to .27.

Another reason why GAP always gets my business. George, Moon, Flounder and the rest of the guys are the best.

WTF great story honest mistake sorry it cost ya that barrel but I bet it helped you being under that pressure. Whats your load?

I shoot factory loaded ammo...straight out of the box. I use the 140gr AMAX load...2820fps out of a 28" barrel.

I've never felt the need to reload it but the recipe is written on the box if you are so inclined.

Seriously...I shoot the factory loaded stuff

cool story, man.....

but you forgot the story's climax, where is the barrel and rod now?

the barrel is hanging up at Rifle's Only...legend has it that if you touch it before the match it will bring you good luck...lol

if you can get the rod out then you get the keys to Camelot...hahahaha

If you get the rod out you can have his rifle!!

Great stuff!
Great shooting KJ!

-on a side note, I was scared to even try my .30 Dewey in my 7mm.........looks awfully tight! I just use my .223 Dewey and a jag adapter
crazy.gif

Glad it worked out. Matches are stressful enough without the added anxiety of setting-up new gear on the fly.

I had a bolt-action repeater become a single-shot while at RO recently. I dropped the rifle off to Moon on the way home and he came up with what looks to be an innovative solution to the problem. It's on its way back as I write. I think I'll move the GAP phone number higher on my speed-dial.

What's the secret password to get a 10-twist out of Bartlien so George can complete my next build before the snow falls again?

Re: the saga continues with my GAP built 6.5 Creedmor

hell no you can't have my rifle...LOL

plus even if you use some crazy magic and do get it out that bore is smoked...gouged...I don't even want to think about it.

And it probably costs just as much as a new barrel to have it re-bored and rifled in say...7mm...LOL.

It's bolted to the patio at RO now...there it shall rest in peace...(single tear running down face) sniff sniff

you do know that Merlin is my nickname......

seriously...if i can remove the rod.....can i have it ?

NO...you can't have it! its magic. it's part of Rifle's Only now.

it's like asking for Lowlight's roadrunner.

besides you can't get it out without cutting the barrel down the middle...i'm serious...ask Moon. It's a tomato stake now...bolted to the patio for good luck...kinda like a lucky horseshoe.

you have to scavenge metal somewhere else...LOL.

This story was so much more amuzing when hearing it live with all of Kevins colorful commentary...

I about shit myself when he was yelling that he invented cold fusion.... LOL

KJDrake,

I really like this round the more I read about it. I have a 700 in 308 that I want to get rebarreled into a 6.5 CM but I want it in either 22" or 24" since I want to use it for hunting as well (since the Amax's are awesome at that). Have you had any experience with the CM with the mentioned barrel length?

Thanks,
Joseph

If it's one of the coated rods I saw a thread of one balling up on a guy with an ar10.
He finally heated the barrel up good and hot with a heat gun and pulled the rod
out of the plastic, then removed the plastic. Sounded like it went pretty easy once
he got the idea.

I actually shot one of Georges new rifles based on the badger action. It was a 6.5 CM with a 24" barrel and it shot to the same data as my 28" out to 500 yards where we stopped for lunch. Tate Moots uses a 24" or a 26" I think in 6.5 CM and he scored very well.

Awesome! I'm definitely going to do this in the near future. Thanks KJ.

Hahaha...JRose I wouldn't be surprised if after cutting That barrel open they find diamonds or kryptonite. I'm just grateful nobody got hurt or blew up...lol

I'm with Pete... I still would like a crack at getting it out... I would empty the tool box, and call Stephen Fucking Hawking himself to come sprinkle his anti cold fusion voo-doo robot nano-nano magic on it if I could get a free CM barrel... Then, I would run circles around RO chasing that damned Roadrunner waving it over my head making that happy muslim sound screaming "I'M THE KING OF CAMELOT!!!"

True shit.