• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Savage 110 BA rifle report

cdennyb

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Kommunist Kalifornia

PERFORMANCE REPORT ON THE SAVAGE 110 BA/S
(With a Nightforce 12-42 X 56 NXS scope)
IN THE .300 WIN MAG CALIBER
By: Dennis Boring December 2010
(0-600 yard capable Clay Pit Range)

PRELIMINARY SUMMARY:
OK, I’m not a long range target shooter (yet), and I’m no competition shooter (probably never will be…) but I’ve been around guns, both pistols and rifles since I was about 8-10 years old. In my 50 years of exposure I’ve seen a lot of guns. I’ve seen and done a lot of hunting, both big game, squirrels, and ground dwellers and I’ve seen a lot of reloading... in fact I reload no less than 7 different calibers of both handguns and rifles currently. As of yet, I don’t shoot a bird-gun nor do I reload for one either. In fact I’ve seen and done a fair bit of most everything including some amateur gunsmithing. This report is MY opinions and observations concerning the rifle, the initial shooting, sighting in and resulting performance of the rifle. Take it for what it’s worth, the price is right. Enjoy the read.

SET-UP:
The rifle came from Savage in its factory cardboard box, stuffed in a nice plastic bag and somewhat supported by a few small pieces of Styrofoam. No damage at all considering it came halfway across the US to me. It came with a 20 MOA ramp built-in so attachment of the scope was fairly easy for long range intended shooting setup. I unwrapped it and examined every inch of it… from it’s’ thumb knob adjustable AR style stock to the fluted, muzzle brake equipped barrel. I ran a ‘dry patch’ down the bore and cleaned out any residue left from the factory, the dealer, the shipping across the country, the storage, etc. and only got a tiny bit of ‘crap’ out. Any is too much so it’s ready to fire No# 1 thru it and get started.

ANALYSIS:
The bolt is pretty loose when you pull it back but considering this is a ‘working’ field gun and not built to be a clean benchrest firearm I guess the bolt clearance is a little more than the customary .004”-.006” and probably closer to .010”-.020” to prevent seizing up in the dirty conditions of the back country no doubt. The bolt handle was perfect in size and shape for me, but I have a smaller hand and even with a glove on, it was quite easy to operate and I could even work the bolt without leaving the stock with my cheek. It was coated with a nice dull black finish and had the “SAVAGE” name and logo printed on the bolt. The lug(s) are pretty substantial and the workmanship is top notch.
To remove the bolt was a piece of cake as well, just pull it back like you’d think, squeeze the trigger and push down on the indicator tab on the right side where my finger is and slide it out. The cheek piece is almost in the way, but if you tilt the bolt up slightly it comes right out without any trouble.

The rails, yes, 4 rails… 3 extra plus the 1 for scope mounting, were awesome works of machining art ALL cut from the same chunk of aluminum, although I don’t expect to use the side rails they do add a spacey, predator, alien kinda look to the whole “machine” (and a little bit more needless weight) but who cares… I’m not packing this thing elk hunting [yet]. I would’ve really liked it if the 20 MOA scope rail was machined at the same time as the action, and the side and front rails were attached separately but what the hell… if I really don’t like them, I have a milling machine and can make quick work of them as I see fit.

The finishing was perfect, and the fit and form followed function and they measured within mere thousands of each other obviously CNC produced. The flutes on the barrel were flawlessly done as well and the only weird or unusual thing I noted was the bottom of the “pistol grip” area. It looked like it was an afterthought and not molded in one piece like you would expect. It was attached with a 3-1/2” long machine like screw with a clip at the end. The whole rifle at 15# plus scope and a full mag was not light either but I didn’t buy it for the light weight features.

I decided to change the recoil pad to the thicker one right from the git-go. It was easy and the screws were Torx type and they had blue lock-tight on them already. Swapping out the recoil pad was easy and done in about 5 minutes. You just removed the screws and their hard washers and peeled the small one off and replaced it with the thick one. Assembly was the reverse of dis-assembly.

<<a href="http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w104/cdennyb/?action=view&current=image013.jpg" target="_blank">/a>

Then I acquired two pair of nice 6-screw aluminum tactical mounts in the HIGH version and using my 30mm tool steel TG&P solid round to maintain the alignment I installed and tightened the rings to the 20 MOA rail making sure the nuts were on the opposite side from the ejector port. The opposite end was recessed and had flush flanged heads. The square body of the cross bolt fit very well in the rail slot(s).

I machined a small billet aluminum level to attach to the 20 MOA Picatinney rail since my other one was only good for the Ruger Varmint rifle I shoot and wouldn’t attach to the rail. This will show level at the action (rail), thus allowing me to square & plumb the scope before tightening the cap attachment screws down for good with lock-tight.

Why 3 sets of rings?
Well, I went with aluminum Weaver HIGH rings and after having a second thought decided I should’ve put on steel ones, even at $150 a pair. Since I decided on aluminum rings at $40 a set… and thinking and over thinking the matter I figured since it was a magnum, a .300 Winchester magnum and would no doubt have more than a little ‘kick’ which might by chance affect the scope attachment I decided to double up on the rings and insure a positive hold on the tube regardless of the ‘kick’. Although 4 would’ve been perfect, there was only enough room for 3 with the spacing of the rail. I now have a spare ring.
Attaching the scope was fairly easy since the 30 mm tool steel alignment rod provided a starting point for the tube to nest in perfectly. I ran a small dab of grinding compound on each ring base and confirmed the alignment was adequate showing at least 75% of the surface both top and bottom were making contact with the rod. I checked the torque on each rail bolt and then after cleaning with alcohol and lightly wiping down with light machine oil I attached the scope and top caps then I loosely tightened the cap screws since I needed to level the action and then plumb the scopes vertical reticule line at the range. Using a criss-cross pattern, I drew them down equally. Although I initially had the scope set back quite far, I ended up moving it slightly more forward and this whole process was done again! This is what I ended up with.

I was going to be shooting this rifle in the prone position on occasion (in the future) so I acquired a Harris 6-9” bi-pod to fit the forearm and attached it securely per the instructions. All ready to go… and also decided to use some ‘reduced recoil’ Winchester loads in the 180 grain variety (to save my shoulder.) for the customary sighting-in procedure.

BALLASTIC CHART FOR 200 GR SPBT AND 4130 POWDER MAKING 2800 FPS AND ZEROED AT 200 YARDS including slope data for 15, 30, & 45 degrees

BALLASTIC CHART FOR 200 GR SPBT AND 4130 POWDER MAKING 2900 FPS AND ZEROED AT 200 YARDS including slope data for 15, 30, & 45 degrees

More to come when the weather breaks… next report: Shooting and sighting in to 400 yards. Scope adjustment report, recoil, video links, and more pics.

Re: The Savage 110 BA rifle report

"<span style="font-weight: bold">With a Nightforce 12-42 X 56 NXS scope</span>"

Very nice rifle setup. What kind of shooting do you do that uses 42x and have 12x as your minimum magnification? How do you find a target at 200 yards?

I'm just curious.

I thought my 5.5x-22x NXS was overkill for practical purposes.

Honestly, if you can get a mental picture of what general direction to point the rifle in and the target is big enough to make out with the naked eye, 12x is a little small for me personally. I use a 6.5-20 Nikon on my 220 Swift. This 12-42x just makes it easier to hold the mark. (IMHO). I planned on a 1000 yd shot in the near future and the 42x will make it easier to see the target, barring any mirage to eliminate. Having the luxury of that BIG a difference is going to be a benefit for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cdennyb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Honestly, if you can get a mental picture of what general direction to point the rifle in and the target is big enough to make out with the naked eye, 12x is a little small for me personally. I use a 6.5-20 Nikon on my 220 Swift. This 12-42x just makes it easier to hold the mark. (IMHO). <span style="font-weight: bold">I planned on a 1000 yd shot in the near future and the 42x will make it easier to see the target, barring any mirage to eliminate. Having the luxury of that BIG a difference is going to be a benefit for me.</span>
</div></div>
1243271414_black_guy_laughing.gif

Did you just get it or have you had it and used it a bit prior to your pics? Seems like a lot of bolt wear for being brand new.

you know, i thought that too but it's brand new, I haven't shot a single bullet thru it and wondered about the wear pattern but the bore is spotless. So... you're guess is as good as mine. Maybe it's just a cheap dip that Savage does on their steel.

Certainly looks like you got a used bolt in that "brand new" rifle. You can see blatant wear marks on the lugs that don't even get there from a little gun shop handling before purchase.

A spotless bore doesn't mean anything. There's plenty of cleaners out there that will make it look that way. You might want to make a call to the dealer on this one, or at least not use them anymore.

I have the same rifle in 338 Lapua Mag. I know that the Savage name isn't sexy but the majority of the Savage rifles I've seen or shot were good to go. I put a 3.5x15x50 Nightforce on mine and took off the palm swell. I replaced it with a grip from Sierra Precision that had a similar grip but didn't hold me as far off the ground. I found out in Vietnam that even the buttons on your shirt can be too tall.

I'm shooting 250gr SMK and trying two different powders, IMR 4350 and H4831 SC at 2900 fps. Thew muzzle brake is extremely effective and reduces recoil down to about that of a 7mm.08. I understand why the Brits love this caliber so much. I'll be paying for this rig for a while, but it's worth every penny.

Indiansinger

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cdennyb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">did I miss something with your post? </div></div>

Once you shoot your rifle for a while you will realize that 42x is way too much magnification for practical field shooting and was designed for benchrest shooting.

For example, if you have a mildot, or one of the NP-R reticles, range estimation scale is performed at the highest magnification (in your case being 42x)this also applies to holdovers if you are not wanting to be fingering your scope dials all of the time. Getting from one target to another at that magnification is nearly impossible.

Even if you use the true 50% magnification of your scope (which you need to measure where that is on your particular scope) and double your range scale, you are still in the 27x range. Good luck shooting at movers or trying to find multiple targets at varying ranges at that magnification. It's not impossible but it would be comical to watch. You will also find that at 42x even at 1,000 yards you will have a lot of reticle movement and it will be harder to get back on target after shot recoil and the barrel heat of rapid shooting will really mirage at 42x.

When it comes to scope magnification for field purposes, more is not always better. Just my own opinion.

I typically use my NXS 5.5-22 at 11x for most practical purposes. I typically use 22x when I am shooting from a bench.

BTW, if you are going to use the NF bikini scope cover, I found that you can zip tie the center of the strap to your scope then you can just peel of the covers and they stay close by and out of the dirt. It also make them easy to put back over your glass.

Ya I would have to agree on the bolt looking used. I just got one in .300 WM myself and it doesn't show any wear or what appears to be wear like yours.
Also I can tell you that the recoil is very light so the third ring is probably not needed. I also feel that the bolt is a little sloppy and loose but it still works ok and I think with a little use it will feel fine. Good luck with yours.

Thanks shankster for the links. Good info for sure.
Just because the scope has 42X on it at the top end don't mean it has to stay there, so for the most part, if I want to use it for a spotting scope in the field I can crank it up, then back off to whatever lesser works for the immediate situation. I understand that 22x might be perfect, I guess i can always change the glass if I don't like it but for the time being I'll suffer thru the extra magnification.
On my Nikon 6.5-20 I find myself always sitting on the 20x power when shooting or checking out the real estate.
Looks like the weather is going to give us a week of sun and maybe some calm winds so things will dry out a little and I can get to the shooting bench. Probably finish this report by the weekend or on Saturday at the latest. Wish me luck.

here's a pic of the range, obviously a little water to contend with. Also here's a target or two to take a gander at. It's a little too soon to see how well this rifle will shoot but it looks promising to me.

SI852483.jpg

SI852494.jpg

SI852493.jpg

this might get read more in the bolt action section. nice review

Shankster...

Although you probably already know this I figured I'd show the page out of the Nightforce handbook on reticles and correct the remark where you said something like the scope neede to be on the highest power

(<span style="font-style: italic">...For example, if you have a mildot, or one of the NP-R reticles, range estimation scale is performed at the highest magnification (in your case being 42x)this also applies to holdovers if you are not wanting to be fingering your scope dials all of the time. Getting from one target to another at that magnification is nearly impossible.</span>)

to use the mil dot reticle. Actually it isn't the highest power at all on the 12-42x NXS, it's 22x. Just figured I'd clarify that point for you in case you were misled by someone. No big deal.

reticleinfo.jpg

ScreenHunter_03Jan062225.jpg

My apologies about the ranging magnification. 22x will make it easier. BTW, nice shooting rifle.

took the rifle out today and braved the 37 degree foggy conditions to poke some holes in 1/2" steel plate @ 200 yds and some paper too.
Thought everyone would like to see carnage. LoL

Si852496comp.jpg

Si852498comp.jpg

as a followup if anyone is interested.
I took it out to the range this evening with about 40 minutes of daylight left, a fast falling sun directly behind me and virtually no wind to deal with.
I forgot my rear bag so I had to improvise with my left hand, a empty box of shells and an old jersey cloth glove to hold the rifle on target with.
Always could do better but what the hey... it only has about 160 rounds down the barrel so I figure it's broke in real well and will shoot under .5MOA at 100 yards all day long.
Damn, it sure is hard to do with a heart-beat. LOL
I managed to get 10 rounds off before the light was gone and I couldnt make out the target anymore.
Here it is. 10 rounds @ 557 yards. 200 gr SMK 65gr of H4350 2850'/sec

Si852565comp.jpg

Nice shooting rifle you have there. However I was waiting to hear you responce to how hard it kicked. and if the extra scope ring in your opinion is still needed. I have heard the 300 WM is less that that of the 30/30 in this rifle.

Thanks.

wow, I thought I addressed that. This thing doesn't kick at all. I mean literally I could shoot a hundred rounds in an hour and not even know I shot a rifle! As far as the extra mount, it wouldn't be needed for the recoil part but what the hell, I got on there, might as well leave it for now. If I change the glass, I'll go with two in the future.
For real. I have a 220 swift that shoots 52 gr hp's that kicks 3-4 times harder than this.
My daughter shoots it and she weighs in at a whooping 127 lbs and loves it. She'd hog the gun all day if I let her.
LOL

Great, I have the BA110 in the 338LM on order, well back order, I am getting everything ready for it. Hell it seems like every day is too long. Thought about ordering the 300 bolt and barrel to go with it. Should come in pretty handy to have both in the same gun. According to savage they are interchangeable. Just remove bolt, remove barrel and replace in oppisite order.

Great thread.

I just picked up an M10 BA and I was curious how happy you are with the bipod? I'm browsing around trying to decide which one to order.

Also, when you attached your rails, did you do anything special to center / level it, and did you use blue locktite on the bolts?

I have not looked into my costs yet for the conversion bolt and barrel, hell I caint even get someone for savage to answer the phone. My local gunstore idiot told me that the conversion kit will have to go through a ffl dealer as well, if he can get it. Any truth to this I dont know. still waiting on cost to see if it will be worth it.

Well, to be perfectly honest... I really haven't tried any others except this Harris. I don't quite know what I expect from a Bi-pod but I think this one is a weee-bit light duty for the job. It just feels flimsy until I really lean into it. On the ground, prone it doesn't feel as bad but I'd really like to try a heavier duty one to compare.

As far as the rails... they were on really tight when I got it, I pulled a couple of screws and all had blue locktite on them so I left the others alone. The tall weaver scope rings were all set initially loose and my lapping round was laid in there and like it says in the report, I stroked them a little and they seemed to be laying perfectly in concentric alignment so I tightened down the bases and then cleaned them good and laid the scope in. So far so good and the proof seems to indicate that as well on the paper.

If the conversion kits available I don't think it should have to go thru a FFL, after all, a AR lower is the only piece that goes thru FFL so why would this be any different? I suppose it could have to, you know how screwed up the gov't is. LOL
I'm trying to talk with someone too but every time I call they always say, "...well you need to talk to this guy in the shop and he's on break or out to lunch or gone for the day..."
and I'm really getting disgusted.

I caint seem to find anyone that will sell the conversion kit. I keep getting the run around for it as well. anyone out there that finds the conversion kit let us know.

Mine also came with the rail unattached and new bolt no wear..

I am looking for a way to mount an Accushot Atlas bipod on mine, but nobody seems to have a picatinny rail attachment for the bottom of this gun yet. Post up if you have any ideas.

cdenny: can you tell me the MOA of that 10 shot 550+ yd group?

I have not shot mine yet because I am trying to decide on a scope. 42X sounds wonderful to me. Where did you get your Night Force?

No I think his Stick was brand new. Maby a display model though. I have noticed in what stores i do see them in the bolts are worn looking and rails are attached.

I don't think you'll ever find a kit to go from .300 Win Mag or .308 to .338 Lapua. The Lapua version uses a beefier/different action and bolt. If you start with the .338 Lapua version, then you could conceivably go to any other caliber with a barrel/bolt head swap. Problem is I doubt anybody is making different bolt heads for the Lapua length bolt, so you'd be stuck with that case head size.

I don't think theres a kit, but I asked Savage last time I called them and they said you could send it in, they would convert it, and they wouls send back yoru old stuff as well. Dunno how much they would charge though.

What kind of attachment point is there up front for a bipod? I have one on backorder and need to figure out if I need to order a rail to mount an Atlas to it.

Looking at pictures I couldve sworn it has a rail already up there but I could be wrong.

If someone who owns it could take a good picture of the bottom of the foregrip up front that would be awesome.

It has a regular sling stud up front. I can take some pics tonight when I get home if somebody doesn't beat me to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of attachment point is there up front for a bipod? I have one on backorder and need to figure out if I need to order a rail to mount an Atlas to it.

Looking at pictures I couldve sworn it has a rail already up there but I could be wrong.

If someone who owns it could take a good picture of the bottom of the foregrip up front that would be awesome.</div></div>

Here are some pics of the sling stud. There is no rail so you would have to order one. It looks like you can use the AFAR kit found here to mount an Atlas to it. I'm just guessing on that so don't take my word for it.

dsc01090u.jpg

dsc01091r.jpg

Is that swivel stud threaded into the stock also or does it spin freely? Im trying to figure out why they put the stud on that lowered boss, and why they couldnt have just made it a picatinny rail!?

How long is that piece that the stud goes through? I wonder if a BT-15 rail would work. I dont think the sliding anshutz style will work, looks like that channel is just aesthetic.

The stud on the bottom is fixed and threads all the way through the stock and is retained with a nut inside the stock. The two sling studs on both sides of the very front of the stock swivel though.

The piece that the stud and the allen screw go through is just shy of 2 inches long. The hole spacing is only about 3/4 inch so I don't think that the BT 15 rail would work as the spacing on it is wider than that.

The stud on the bottom is fixed and threads all the way through the stock and is retained with a nut inside the stock. The two sling studs on both sides of the very front of the stock swivel though.

The piece that the stud and the allen screw go through is just shy of 2 inches long. The hole spacing is only about 3/4 inch so I don't think that the BT 15 rail would work as the spacing on it is wider than that.

Hmmm, thanks for the info VS, looks like it will have to be a custom job. I might be able to squeeze a BT15 in there and just drill new holes.

Ya I was kinda thinkin the same thing with drilling new holes. I have a set of burris bipods on mine and they do ok for as heavy as the gun is. More stable than I would have thought. If you find something that works for the atlas let me know and I'll do the same if I find something.

Nice review, thank you!
Alright, I'm holding my breath now as I wait for mine to show up (shipped a few days ago)!!
Couple of questions...
Do you know that the Accuracy International magazines are compatable? I read that Savage built this rifle on the AI platform for universal acceptance of thier magazines.
Did you notice a need to lap the rings? I was a little iffy on the factory rail, but I am not planning to lap the rings. I will be adding a NF scope and likely NF rings.
I'll run with a Kengs Versa-pod. I'll let you know how that works out.

Oh, I am looking for a hard case, but even the long Storm cases list a 50.5 inch interior size. Have you found a good carry case?
Thank again, happy shooting!

When did you order yours Shaggy?

Im thinking the length Savage spec's is with the stock fully extended? Maybe a current owner can comment here...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When did you order yours Shaggy?

Im thinking the length Savage spec's is with the stock fully extended? Maybe a current owner can comment here...</div></div>

Just measured mine and it is 51" with the stock fully extended and 50" with it collapsed so that 50.5" storm case would be damn tight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wielywilly-g</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking for a way to mount an Accushot Atlas bipod on mine, but nobody seems to have a picatinny rail attachment for the bottom of this gun yet. Post up if you have any ideas.</div></div>

Try this http://www.shootersridge.com/products/tactical/swivelstudrailadaptor.aspx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When did you order yours Shaggy?

Im thinking the length Savage spec's is with the stock fully extended? Maybe a current owner can comment here...</div></div>

Just measured mine and it is 51" with the stock fully extended and 50" with it collapsed so that 50.5" storm case would be damn tight. </div></div>

I ordered it up about two weeks ago. It just arrived at the shop today, so I went to see it and start-up the waiting period. Man, this thing is huge. I was disappointed to see that 'someone' had mounted the rail peice already. Nothing wrong with it I'm sure, but I dont' like people touching my new gun.
As for length, a local sports store here had cases that might do the trick, and online I've seen another case (I think SKS??) that measures 53 inches. It would never fit in the Storm 3300 (inside space was 51"). The whole point of the case is to protect it from bad bumps, I can't imagine riding the inside walls of the case will protect much. When I handled the rifle today I felt that I wanted a longer pull to it, so I expect to extend the stock. For now, I am debating getting a drag bag for regular use, and buy a hard case whe I move or have to travel with it.
__
As for the rail assembly -- I was driving around today thinking I might just take the whole assembly off and find a regular rail to fit. As the rifle comes right now, the rail is wide, long and heavy. I don't see a huge use for it other than perhaps a heatshield for the hand and the optics. I don't need the rail space for anthing else with this kind of range (or weight).
And now to just endure the waiting period....

Anybody with one happen to know what the barrel shank size is? Id like to swap the recoil lug out as soon as I get the gun, I assume it is just the large shank? Or is it a totally different size? Also, will it still fit into the stock, did they leave enough room in front of the lug for a wider lug?