• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Secret to ordering a barrel?!?

Alaskaman11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2009
Last Frontier
Ok guys, what is the secret? Handshake? Special John Wick coin? Ripping the heart out of a peasant chest all the while chanting "mukti degi kalli maa" to order a barrel from either Schneider or Bartlein? Talked to one fell at Bartlein, had to get one question's he had answered, called back, (took 3 days to get them to answer, for the next guy to tell me "have a gunsmith order it". Schneider does not answer their phone either. There has got to be a better way? IS there someone out there that can build a great custom barrel?

Reactions: Stevo86
Hmmm… I’ve ordered from both many times. You must want some kinda damn unicorn barrel.

Is there something odd or unique about what you're trying to buy? Just tell them what you want. For a custom made part, it really couldn't be easier.

Point, click, pay, and wait for the brown truck.
it is Unique, I want a M24 done in 270Win with a 1-7 twist. The first fella at Bartlein said it was nothing that cant be done. I want to give them money....

So why didn't you order it?
he had some questions, I called back to give the answer and the other fella said to order it through the gun smith, I am unsure what smith I was going to use so I just want to order it myself. The one I was going to use turned out to be a poozer.

The secret is not to order some obscure one-off barrel that takes them more time to produce than the 100s of other barrels they already have sold.

If they didn’t already have a 6-month backlog, they’d probably be more receptive to your experiment.

I know it’s hard to believe since it’s just a hobby for us, but they are actually in it for the 💰 😉

If the mystery questions have answers now, just order it. If you dont want to talk to bartlein, call bugholes and order it through them. You’ll receive it in way way less time than a direct bartlein order anyway.

Out of curiosity, why so fast a twist? Seems about 2” faster than any .270 bullet im aware of requires.

If the mystery questions have answers now, just order it. If you dont want to talk to bartlein, call bugholes and order it through them. You’ll receive it in way way less time than a direct bartlein order anyway.

Out of curiosity, why so fast a twist? Seems about 2” faster than any .270 bullet im aware of requires.
so, folks are working up new loads for this using the 170gr pills. They have a better G7 than the 175 SMK do, you can run them a bit hotter and foks are seeing it being over 1600 fps at 1K. You need at least 1-8 and better to get the 170 to run. Most factory 270 are a 1-10. That and i just inherited more 270 brass that I can ever use, I thought it would be fun to make a M24 out of one. Just something to hunt and ring steel with. Plus, i have more 308s than I know what to do with, I have had a 338LM and not a 6.5CM fanboy so I need something to play with..

The "contact us" part of the website sends a short email to Bartlein give the details of what you want. Easier/faster than the phone at times. Every call that starts with "I have a quick question" can turn into 2 hours on the phone and they may not even order something.

Anymore, I just order from Bugholes. IIRC, they order in lots of 1,000 with Bartlein. It might be more, might be less, but 1,000 is the number I have stuck in my head.

But any manufacturer of anything is going to prioritize bulk buyers as opposed to "one offs", particularly if the one off is a custom.

I call krieger barrels. Guy answers the phone. I pay for the barrel I had ordered and then place my order for next year's barrel right then. 12 month wait so order ahead. 3 minute phone call and your done. They send a confirmation email with what you wanted and as long as that looks good your done. No fuckery and no money down. When it's done you pay up and they ship. I've gotten 4 barrels from them and with minimal load development they all shot .250" at 100 yards

I've ordered from Bugholes, direct from Bartlein, Expert Voice for Proof, Evolved Ballistics, and now Bison Tactical. All have went smooth, look for what you want and put payment info in. For my MODBB barrels from Bartlein they did arrive about 6 months early from stated lead time.