• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing the slump is over!....sort of

ewoaf

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2009
    Albemarle VA
    beaurobbins.com
    went out to call some dogs this evening.....everything was working for me, I showed up just at the right time I wanted to, my cammo was working w/ the terrain, the wind was in my favor...I havent called one in since thanksgiving w/e, so I've been pretty frustrated all through this winter. The coyotes around here are extremely turned on. I figured today would be a good day because we had a break in the constant storms. I wasnt calling 5 mins and decided to throw out a howl...from over the next hill came what sounded like an eruption of coyote chatter, from god knows how many. Before they stopped I started to see one up on the next ridge over. I was in a bad spot w/ the rifle beside me, so as soon as he turned, I got into a prone shooting position. He apeared a short ways down the same ridge again off to my left, I turned, estimated range, and dialed in, sight picture, saw my hit. Bingo!
    I stayed put to try to call some of the others.....no dice, I walked over to the coyote I had shot......nothing, nada, zip. I missed
    I started thinking about why. well I zeroed at a 18x and forgot to dial up from 6x. the rifle was also freshly cleaned. damn...ok well I set up again right by where the one i shot at was and called again to the next ridge...saw them again on that ridge. Turns out I had come across what appeared to be a litter of weanlings. Fired 5 rnds at the gagle of pups... walked up there...nothing..
    after I thought about it, i realized I was using a totally different ammo than what i had zeroed w/, plus I had grabbed what i thought was my warm weather dope for that ammo, but it didnt look right for some reason.... lessons learned, many variables were forgotten completely and i paid for it. Finally called in a whole gagle of dogs and screwed the pooch...damn................ok now take it easy on me!

Re: the slump is over!....sort of

It happens
    laugh.gif

oh well, maybe you will get them later in the yr when they are prime and you can do somethin with the hides.

i got about 20 this winter and averaged 10 a piece no skin'n thats 200 for 'some' reloading supp. the only thing i bother skinnin are cats. i agree, not worth it if you are gonna try and skin the stinky bastards, let alone the 50% that have mange that need to be killed so they don't spread the disease.

yeah i'd go that route, but i'd have to find someone who'd buy a dead coyote, cats are definately worth it.

last year i sold 3 cats for 400 each, this year i got 4 and the best offer was 150, oh well theyre fun huntin... its alot harder callin them cats, sneaky bastards.

now that i think of it even more, its really no wonder....I havent used that ammo since before I got my 20 moa base, so I could have been anywhere, who knows. how stupid...

I will go sometimes with 2-3 coyote hunting and come up skunked. That will bum-me-out a little. BUT DAMN .. (not ragging on you, 'Much' ) but all winter with not a hit and then you call-in some fur and you got a fresh cleaned Bore, forgot to dial up, using different ammo, Grabbed wrong Dope. Then You call-in More from your same sit . After dirtying the area with a shot taken, & there are also some pups to. Then missed again.
    WOW ..Cant get much lower than that. Don't be Bummed, You got know where to go but UP from there .