• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The sound of $45 Million

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Even on the crappy speakers of my laptop you can hear the beauty of that instrument. The depth and richness and clarity of each tone. What a privilege to hear it let alone play it. Thanks, Yahoo

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This Is What a $45 Million Viola Sounds Like | The New York Times - YouTube

John Cage would be pleased: If you listen very carefully, you may hear a world record shatter. In sealed bidding expected to end this week, auctioneers Sotheby’s and Ingles & Hayday have been taking offers for the “Macdonald” viola by Antonio Stradivari, the king of strings. They’ve estimated it to sell for more than $45 million—about three times the auction record for an instrument, currently held by a Stradivarius violin that sold for about $15.6 million in 2011.

Is that multiple a sign that a booming instrument market is reaching frothy levels along with prices for contemporary art? Not exactly. In fact, earlier this month a Stradivari violin valued at as much as $10 million went unsold at Christie’s after it was found in the Manhattan home of a reclusive American heiress.

As for the “Macdonald” instrument, this 1719 Strad commands its premium because it’s a viola, the slightly larger and deeper-toned sister of the violin. While hundreds of known Stradivari violins are in circulation, only 10 of his violas are known to have survived, according to Sotheby’s research. Of those, only two are in private hands: one in the Library of Congress in Washington and the one that is up for sale.

A viola, in turn, is important for an additional reason. You can’t have a standard string quartet—two violins, cello, and viola—without one. Imagine building an all-Strad quartet, the ultimate dream combo. Picking up the violins and cello are doable. “Anyone can own a Strad violin. You can even own two,” says Benjamin Hebbert, a London stringed-instrument dealer and consultant. “Owning a string quartet is another thing.”

The “Macdonald” viola might be your only shot at getting the full set. Ever. “It’s no different from collecting baseball cards,” Hebbert says. Sky’s the limit on that last, missing piece of the set.

Few have managed to collect all four. One set, the Paganini Quartet, was owned by legendary violinist Niccolo Paganini in the 19thcentury. It’s now owned by the Nippon Music Foundation, which has loaned the set to the Tokyo String Quartet and the Hagen Quartet. It’s one of only six Strad quartets known to exist, according to the Japanese foundation.

Potential buyers for the “Macdonald” viola could range from a foundation or orchestra to a private collector who would become patron to a very lucky violist. Bids close on June 25, according to Bloomberg News. When or whether the world learns the new owner, or if the viola lands in a quartet, will remain to be heard.

Love it. Every once in a blue moon, there will be someone playing a string instrument well near the metro I use for work. It's wonderful to stop and listen just for a while. And sometimes, I wonder about whether I will ever get a Joshua Bell moment:
    Stop and Hear the Music - Stradivarius Violinist Joshua Bell - DC Metro - YouTube

By the by:

What's the difference between a Violist and a dog?
    The dog knows when to stop scratching.

What's the difference between a Viola and a lawnmower?
    You can tune the lawnmower.

What's the difference between a Viola and a lawnmower?
    You don't pour gasoline ON the lawnmower.

My brother was a violin player - learned early that you always have to give the violas a hard time.

Thanks for the vid. Very good to see that out and about.

Much prefer strings but I do really like the sound of the oboe. The other sound I tend to like is French horn. I regret not keeping with music. I plan on getting a piano when I finally have a house to settle down.

That's great. Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be interested to know the stories of all the hands that gave played an instrument that was old even at the birth of our country.

This man has talent and represents that piece of art very well.

I am amazed at the capacity of mankind to do things so evil in once instance and so beautiful in another. It is good to see the latter, and find as I get older I appreciate such things all the more after seeing so much of the former.
    Thanks for posting it.

It would be interested to know the stories of all the hands that gave played an instrument that was old even at the birth of our country.

I'm not sure if you have ever seen it, but if not, you should watch the movie The Red Violin, it pretty much tells a very interesting story of exactly what you are talking about.