• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing The story of my first rifle build

mioduz

Private
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2009
About 8 months ago I got the bug up my ass that I wanted to learn how to use a lathe and a mill. Previous to that I had no machining experience what so ever. So I got a mill (actually made into CNC now) and purchased a small Grizzly lathe. After tooling around with it for a while and watching plenty of YouTube Videos I thought to myself...ah heck anyone can do this. Quick realization that my lathe was too small for the task at hand so I upgraded to a used G4003G Lathe again from grizzly. Also in the mean time picked up a second hand AICS 2.0 and placed an order for a Badger M2008 Action early January. Barrels are hard to come by on a whim like I was on, I was looking for a Krieger 5R but alas they where on a 6 month wait. Called Bartlein and found they sell to grizzly and they had 5R barrels in stock.
After many calls to Dave at PTG (He has great customer service and patience with someone as green as I) I decided on a 308 Bisley Reamer. With all the tools in hand I practiced aligning the bore through the headstock a dozen or so times till I could get somewhat repeatable results on the range rod. About a week ago I was having a hard time sleeping and thought i would go practice further on the lathe. I ended up threading the trunnion and chambering till 4 AM.
I used the CNC mill to chop up the AICS stock to make room for the M2008 Action.
I rushed through the final cleanup of the stock and final fitup yesterday as I knew I would be shooting a USPSA match this morning and wanted to bring the rifle as well.
I did shoot it this morning, I attached an image of shots 4-6. (.394 MOA). This was with cleaning the bore between every shot. I hope the accuracy continues to rise as I break in the barrel, but I was more than pleased with the results as they are
I guess the object of this post was to show someone that may not have extensive gunsmith or machinist experience that with determination and time you can learn just about anything especially with the power of the internet at your hands.
NFxbt.jpg

QHWH0.jpg

Re: The story of my first rifle build

Thanks for the post, I am about ready to pull the trigger on a lathe, (4003g) and have been studying for a couple of years now, I think it's about time to start building my own as well.

Dude, thats just nuts.......freaking awesome job!!

Really nice job. Goes to show, if you really want something, you can have it. Congrats, and enjoy your rifle. That one will always mean more than any other you bought turn key.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really nice job. Goes to show, if you really want something, you can have it. Congrats, and enjoy your rifle. That one will always mean more than any other you bought turn key. </div></div>

I really appreciate the compliment, particularly from you as your video series on youtube was some of the biggest help I had. I think I have watched the truing rem 700 project at least 6 times begining to end. My next project for the lathe is to true and rebarrel a 700 i have in 22-250 that doesnt shoot oh so well at the moment.

The feeling of knowing that I built that rifle is overwhelming, particularly when i pulled the trigger on the second shot and the whole just got a bit bigger in the paper and again on the 3rd

I have assembled some various AR's but really never had the same feeling of achievement, maybe this is because the AR is so simple and "bolt on" to assemble.

I am glad I made the investment in the lathe and tooling to do this. (even though my bank accounts may not be as happy) I would never dream of parting with the first rifle i truly built.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nieko</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the post, I am about ready to pull the trigger on a lathe, (4003g) and have been studying for a couple of years now, I think it's about time to start building my own as well. </div></div>

If you have the financial means I highly recommend it. It was great to learn and now a skill i can say I have (maybe not mastered but have). It was pretty cool when a kid at the range this morning came up to me with a huge smile on his face and asked "hey mister is that a sniper rifle" for lack of a better explanation for the use of the rifle, and to make the kids day i said yes, then he asked "where did you get that!" I replied that i built it myself. He walked away wide eyed and jaw open.

Also if you have any questions about the model shoot em my way. I had to completely dissemble the unit to get it into my basement (NOT RECOMMENDED)

Great job! That is a very nice looking rifle.

Took the rifle back out today. To stretch out its legs a bit more. Got out to 350 yds. Took a while to really zero rifle at that range but I did finally stop trying to hold over and dialed it in for the last two shots. Should have done it sooner. .151 moa at 350
VhAjl.jpg