• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes The SuperSniper Gamble

Re: The SuperSniper Gamble

Yep, own one, about 8000 rounds down range, bought it about 7-8 years ago, rides on a Remington PSS in .308, and has a Kenton turret tuned to my 175gr. SMK at 2650, 0 feet elevation.

I own one in each magnification they make, except for the side focus 10x, and they each track flawlessly. I doubt that a NF or
premeir can track "more flawlessly"....1" @ 100 yards is 1" @ 100 yards, no matter what scope it is...I have never done the box test at 800 yards, figured conditions and myself would play to much margin of error for accurate results.

when is this bet taking place id like to know the outcome ive got an ss and love it thinking about another purchase at the moment

thnx guys for the topic, im in the same place thinking on getting a ss scope.. what you posted here makes me more sure of the brand.

Nada wrong w/ the SS, except the 20x, will turtle neck you to death.

That said, they will track correctly, and work as advertised........like the other two mentioned.

But, they will not do it AS LONG.

And it's strictly because of what the internals are made OF.
Brass on steel.
For the $$$, and fixed X, very decent scope. 10x is the best by far.

<span style="font-size: 14pt">Correction, and a GOOD NEWS ONE..................</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Newer Model SS scopes have gone to steel on steel.............
Making them even a better scope.</span>
That, along with eye relief on the 20x model eye relief, has been my onyl issue w/ them.........I have owned a ton fo them, never had a bad one( REAR model parallax adj models).

I think they are absolutely bullet proof. On the other hand, I am saving for a NightForce. Reason?..well besides the obvious lack of MIL/MIL with the SS, the glass. That is the only thing I dont like about them, the glass blows donkey, escpecially after being spoiled by a couple guys letting me look and shoot through their NightForces and Mark 4 and S&B's.

However, I have NEVER had an issue this my SS dialing up to 1000 yards, anywhere in between, and then going back to zero, always returns dead on.

RC you are about to lose money. Don't get me wrong I would kill for an ST-10 but the SS10x is a damn good scope even for twice what I paid. Listen to TWO SHOES and do not bet against the SS.

Thanks for the info. I posted for the first time tonight about the NcStar scope as it was only about 120.00.

This SS was posted to me along with a couple others as good choises. I don't have a lot to spend ...

So the cheaper rear focus will work the same ?? Must not be convenient ??

It has less to do with convienence and more to do with the complicated parts involved in making it a side focuse, My SSx16 is a great scope and would buy one again. Save your pennys and get it over anyother of the cheep scopes.

I bought the side focus. Did I screw up? What is the benefit of rear focus?

Thanks,
Rich

Whats not tactiCOOL is having all the super duper badass looking stuff and still not being able to hit a five inche stickon target at 100yds. Thats what I have to deal with on the weekends and my local range. I shoot durring the week at all costs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own one in each magnification they make, except for the side focus 10x, and they each track flawlessly. I doubt that a NF or
premeir can track "more flawlessly"....1" @ 100 yards is 1" @ 100 yards, no matter what scope it is...I have never done the box test at 800 yards, figured conditions and myself would play to much margin of error for accurate results.

</div></div>

That is very well put <span style="font-weight: bold">HasgunWilltravel</span>
I have 3 SS scopes, they are very stout scopes and when it comes to tracking I sure wouldn’t bet against them. I think this will come down to shooter error, glass clarity and reticle width more than any thing.

Is your opponent going to be set on 10X also?

So... the only difference between a SS and a NXS or Premier is glass quality?

Come on guys, back to reality... Sure SSs are decent scopes, and I think highly of them, but this comparison is silly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So... the only difference between a SS and a NXS or Premier is glass quality?

Come on guys, back to reality... Sure SSs are decent scopes, and I think highly of them, but this comparison is silly.</div></div>

When did anyone ever say that? Nobody is doubting the fact that 1k+ scopes have plenty of stuff the SS doesn't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats not tactiCOOL is having all the super duper badass looking stuff and still not being able to hit a five inche stickon target at 100yds. Thats what I have to deal with on the weekends and my local range. I shoot durring the week at all costs.</div></div>

fuckin A'

Who has the best price on the "Super Sniper" ???

Any input on rings to mount on AR 15 ??

i have 5 ss scopes. never any probs. there comes a point in lense quality that it takes a machine to grade the quality. amazes me that so many guys claim to be able to grade glass quality by eye. and they are so willing to spend more money to get "better" lenses. (it makes them shoot moe betta). some body needs to tell all these big name manufacturers they wasted their money on this high tech machinery. we have folks right here that can do it by the naked eye! hahaha! the super sniper is all the scope any tactical shooter needs. after that, your just playing the "my pee pee is bigger than yours" game.

SS glass is sharper and brighter to MY eye than either of the two Leupold 4.5-14x50 I have compared it to.
One is an older Precision Rifle and the other is a newer Mark4.

SS glass in my three (1 M model 10x and 2 rear adjust) is not as sharp or bright as my IOR 16x42 or a friends NF BR model.

I have never had any of my SS scopes not track exactly back to zero after dialing 25MOA+.

SS scopes may not be the "best", but mine are not on my "best" rifles and I sure as hell aint the "best shooter, so they fit their role very well.

I do wish they would do something with the name though.
"super sniper" it sounds like some 1o year old describing himself with his daisy red ryder.

Great scopes

Refer to them as "ss" and your fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koolnhard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do wish they would do something with the name though.
"super sniper" it sounds like some 1o year old describing himself with his daisy red ryder.

</div></div>

LOL! I agree completely!

Yeah, TPS, just do not mount the rings up against the Elevation turrets...farther away the better.......and do NOT over tighten them.
<span style="font-weight: bold">This is ESPECIALLY true of the side focus model.........</span>
It will screw up your FOCAL lens adjustments.....you put them in a bind.

I have an SS 10x side focus that I use on an Anschutz 22. The clicks are positive and tracks perfectly. On the downside, the optics are so-so. It suffers from bad chromatic aberration and some distortion at the edges.

For $420, it's not bad, but not great either.

For $320 (the rear focus model,) it's a good value.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koolnhard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do wish they would do something with the name though.

Great scopes

Refer to them as "ss" and your fine. </div></div>

LOL, we agree too.

We inherited that name and we are currently phasing it out and replacing it with simply SS.

I think the SS turrets are junk. I went to the gun shops and twisted as many knobs as I could and SS very mushy with slop. They work but after doping and going back to zero, there is some slop and I have to ensure I am back on the correct mark and shoot a group at 100 to verify so, while they may track as well as any, mine does not give a solid back to zero. Both turrets stick every now and then, at the range and at home. At -30F, I was scared to even try to dope, froze stiff. On my first SS10x I could not identify what mark I was on there was so much slop. SWFA did replace it but it took some time and emails not an instant send it back so I think they know there is some issues with the turrets as this is common complaint with SS.

I have the 10x with side focus mainly due to the tactikewl factor but I thought it would be easier to find and adjust. In my opinion after a year and half, the side focus is not worth more money and SWFA should charge less for it. Not close to the cheater numbers but mine never seems to be free of parallax. Way too much time and effort to free it up.

Glass wise, I do not see any difference between my SS and my VXII's I got in the mid 70s. Not an expert at all.

Not a bag on them, I think they are superb for the money but only get the rear focus.

I will agree with 45.308. While dialing in elevation on cold days I couldn't feel the click and the turret just seemed to glide rather than click. Upon advice read here on the hide I replaced the O rings and cleaned up the lube. The turrets now have good strong clicks and I have no trouble with repeatablity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Two Shoes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, TPS, just do not mount the rings up against the Elevation turrets...farther away the better.......and do NOT over tighten them.
<span style="font-weight: bold">This is ESPECIALLY true of the side focus model.........</span>
It will screw up your FOCAL lens adjustments.....you put them in a bind. </div></div>

Terry,

Are you ever going to let that go? That issue was related to one batch of M scopes many many years ago. You knew that at one time. Old timers must be kickin' in.

Chris

I did all this to mine too but it never really changed. I compared SS to a Tasco Target at $159, identical turrets.

Burris, NF, Leupy Mrk4 another one in there when I compared had positive audible clicks one at a time or twisting as fast and hard as I could. Still, SS is way less money and it works but their turrets are still the weak link.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gman762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have 5 ss scopes. never any probs. there comes a point in lense quality that it takes a machine to grade the quality. amazes me that so many guys claim to be able to grade glass quality by eye. and they are so willing to spend more money to get "better" lenses. (it makes them shoot moe betta). some body needs to tell all these big name manufacturers they wasted their money on this high tech machinery. we have folks right here that can do it by the naked eye! hahaha! the super sniper is all the scope any tactical shooter needs. after that, your just playing the "my pee pee is bigger than yours" game. </div></div>

Yup thats why they are in use by every military around the world!
confused.gif
If you cant look through a S&B and a SS and see an incredible difference well....I know this place that sells these special dogs.SS are decent for what they are and thats great but it ends there.

You can see a real difference in visual quality between a S&B and a SS for sure. If you can afford it get a S&B they are great, if your life depends on it, money shouldnt be an object. If your just shooting paper against a guy sporting a S&B the better marksman will shoot the best score everytime.
It just been my experience there does seem to be a correlation between most match winners Ive seen/attended and sporting high end optics. The question then becomes the chicken or the egg. or a combo of both? Do whats right for you thats all you can ask of yourself.