The Supply Chain.....

Hobo Hilton

Private
PX Member
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Professionals study logistics. And there ain't many of them left in today's world...
I agree. I am a bit confused about the shift to rail cars and the movement away from truck transportation. Perhaps intermodal transportation is playing a part. Perhaps politics are playing a part as well.

Reactions: wildcats

wildcats

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2005
Honolulu,HI
I agree. I am a bit confused about the shift to rail cars and the movement away from truck transportation. Perhaps intermodal transportation is playing a part. Perhaps politics are playing a part as well.
BB"s the new Green deal.trying to save the planet of greenhouse gasses..blahblahblah. bullshit fucking politics that is only going to hurt the trucking industry..wait they supported TRUMP...like trains don't put out gasses..horseshit.

Last edited:

E. Bryant

STABILITRAK ACTIVE
Supporter
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Oct 25, 2010
    MI

Rail is more efficient in terms of fuel per ton-mile, which will become increasingly interesting as we come out from a period of (relatively) low fuel prices. Also, truck drivers are scarce at this time. And then looking a bit further out, the trucking industry gets to look forward to another set of new emission control rules:

Screenshot_20210504-140257.png

Lots of headwinds against trucking at this time. I don't see any significant reduction in friction until/unless autonomous operation becomes commonplace.

Hobo Hilton

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jun 4, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    All of this is true. However we are entrenched in the "Just in Time" supply chain. I have tracked some rail shipments over the years and was told my item was on a rail car that was on a spur track and could be there for a while due to weather, logistics, crew shortage, etc. With trains there will have to be storage facilities to take up for the surge or delays. Just kicking some thoughts around.

S197

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 22, 2019
    I was in the industry for 18 years, trains are used for mass movement of product and chemical / hazardous materials. Sensitive goods and JIT are shipped by truck.

The rail industry was dying and becoming obsolete as suppliers started to build around manufacturers, and manufacturers decreased on hand product for cost and tax relief. This current shift in transportation has to do with the Biden administration and his $upporters.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton

BoilerUP

Old Salt
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jan 16, 2011
    Floyd Co, IN
    Intermodal logistics has been a significant 'thing' in the logistics world for about a decade now, and not just bringing consumer goods over from Asia.

Honestly, shipping by rail makes a LOT of sense for many types of goods, and in many markets...but you still need trucks to take shipping containers from the rail yard to whatever their destination is.

That said - looks like plenty of owner/operators are hauling Prime trailers around when everybody knows Daddy Bezos can afford WTF he wants; those operators would just as easily be hauling other goods if the pay was better.

Romeo458

That Guy
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 20, 2019
    NEIA
    Atlas Shrugged is becoming non fiction too.

Reactions: W54/XM-388

Hobo Hilton

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jun 4, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I was in the industry for 18 years, trains are used for mass movement of product and chemical / hazardous materials. Sensitive goods and JIT are shipped by truck.

The rail industry was dying and becoming obsolete as suppliers started to build around manufacturers, and manufacturers decreased on hand product for cost and tax relief. This current shift in transportation has to do with the Biden administration and his $upporters.
    That connection has been brought to light:

• Angry
    Reactions: Sean the Nailer

E. Bryant

STABILITRAK ACTIVE
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Oct 25, 2010
    MI
    Rapidly...... Question: Is Elon Musk of today the Hank Rearden of Atlas Shrugged ?

No. If he goes away tomorrow, not much is lost. Ok, I gotta go back to using crappy DSL - that'd suck. People who buy his cars would need to find different ways to convince themselves that their own farts smell good. Twitter would be slightly more boring. I'd argue that someone like Bezos would have a far greater effect if they withdrew their contributions and services.

But the extent that the loss of any single executive can harm the economy is kinda limited in the modern world. There are, however, a few people at lower levels in various organizations who make shit happen every day. Go look around at a large regional distribution center; there are a small number of workers who, if they all decide not to show, will effectively shut down your local grocery store in a matter of several hours. Get enough of them to coordinate, and the country gets brought to its knees. Damn good thing that we've brainwashed the proles into thinking that they're powerless.

Maxduty

Quae Moriatur
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Mar 8, 2014
    Oklahoma

You mean like these trailers on rail cars? Seems that it's more cost efficient to transport this way and have local drivers for the final destinations.
    1620190659359.png

salks

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 23, 2019
    Ships, trains, trucks all work together. There are not ports or train tracks at every Walmart or storage facility. Many items we purchase have been on all three and been part of multiple truck loads.

eddie102870

Private
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 22, 2006
    alabama
    no way produce and food items can be shipped by rail. ive been hauling food products my whole life. we have 85 OTR trucks with teams on them. produce is packaged in the field and grocery store whse's normally dont keep more than 24 hrs worth of product per day. the wheels quit turning and big cities are screwed. wouldnt take long for it to fall apart.

tomcatmv

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Apr 13, 2017
    Plus, by all reports there is a severe shortage of truck drivers. Oh, wait we are importing many from south of the border.

Texasflyer

Brass goblin
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 3, 2021
    Texas
    You know what they say, give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and then he has to buy a pole and lures and line, and then he gets a ticket for fishing on public land and has to take off work to go to court, gets community service and has to pick up trash at the lake where he would rather be fishing.