• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Swedish K.

VargmatII

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2020
Southern Sweden
So, today I went to the range with an old friend. When I picked him up he told me that he brought a surprise.
The surprise was an m/45, also known as the "Swedish K". So while its hardly a sniper rifle. It sure is a cool firearm and it has some great history.
Beeing mentioned as one of the things to have if you were a "bad ass" in Vietnam by David H. Hackworth to name just one reference out there.
In Sweden, the "K" has been around since WW2. Back in the day they where plentyfull and anyone with a basic military training had shot one, usually a lot. The Swedish K lived on, both in the Army and as a competition tool for both precision and field type shooting. In fact they still arrange the Swedish National Championships with the old K. But it is living on borrowed time as they say.
Years ago the Police stated that no more permits will be given on Ks. so the guys that have them cant sell them and when they quit shooting or pass on, the old Ks will be turned in to scrap steel. With the exception of a few shooting clubs that still keep them around, but they are getting fewer and fewer with every year passing.

It was non the less cool to shoot one. You really need to tap the trigger to keep it shooting single fire. Automatic fire is not allowed in competition, even so, they are all kept on the standard fully automatic mode. I barely was able to keep minute of pizzaplate at 100 meters from prone position. So I would need a lot of practice with one. But it was an awesome time today.

p5pb21628159.jpg

So, today I went to the range with an old friend. When I picked him up he told me that he brought a surprise.
The surprise was an m/45, also known as the "Swedish K". So while its hardly a sniper rifle. It sure is a cool firearm and it has some great history.
Beeing mentioned as one of the things to have if you were a "bad ass" in Vietnam by David H. Hackworth to name just one reference out there.
In Sweden, the "K" has been around since WW2. Back in the day they where plentyfull and anyone with a basic military training had shot one, usually a lot. The Swedish K lived on, both in the Army and as a competition tool for both precision and field type shooting. In fact they still arrange the Swedish National Championships with the old K. But it is living on borrowed time as they say.
Years ago the Police stated that no more permits will be given on Ks. so the guys that have them cant sell them and when they quit shooting or pass on, the old Ks will be turned in to scrap steel. With the exception of a few shooting clubs that still keep them around, but they are getting fewer and fewer with every year passing.

It was non the less cool to shoot one. You really need to tap the trigger to keep it shooting single fire. Automatic fire is not allowed in competition, even so, they are all kept on the standard fully automatic mode. I barely was able to keep minute of pizzaplate at 100 meters from prone position. So I would need a lot of practice with one. But it was an awesome time today.

p5pb21628159.jpg
Great post! But I don’t remember the K firing a belted Magnum? Do those go in the mag vertically ;-)

Seriously… cool picture and info! Thanks for sharing!

Sirhr

Reactions: VargmatII
Great post! But I don’t remember the K firing a belted Magnum? Do those go in the mag vertically ;-)

Seriously… cool picture and info! Thanks for sharing!

Sirhr
Thank you. I had a feeling that you would be one of the guys to appreciate a post like this. (My old accont here was from before the whole scout ordeal)
The belted magnums (300 WM) would be a very hard to fit in the K but worked great in my souped up Remington 700 Police. Its visable in a bigger picture in other threads. But I think its a bit too modern for your taste.

Last edited:
Reactions: sirhrmechanic
The Danish Armed Forces adopted the Husqvarna/Hovea version in 1949 as the M/49.

In the Army it was issued to NCO's, vehicle crews, support troops and the like, ie. those that did not get the M1 Garand or later on the H&K G3 .

The Home Guard issued many M/49 for its members to keep at home along with ammunition etc., in preparation for the cold war turning hot at a moments notice. It was somewhat common during my childhood that a playmates parents had one stashed away, and could be persuaded to show it, if asked really nicely.

The M/49 was in danish military use until the mid 1990'ties, when it was replaced by the Colt Canada C7/8. It was officially phased out in 2002, with the remaining inventory being donated to Lithuania.

Last edited: