• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing The Texas Hunting Experience

Samuel1749

Private
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2010
Austin TX
Hey Sniper's Hide I was wondering if anyone knew of any great hunting spots in Texas. I myself live in Austin and fortunately for me that's close enough (2-3hr) from most good hunting in Texas.

When I was younger my family was good friends with the "Robinsons" and their father worked for a small oil company called Citation Oil. Citation had access to an amazing 3k acre ranch in Dilley TX. 2 mobile homes w 7 rooms. Somewhere around 13 box blinds, a few good duck ponds, and great corn fields for dove hunting, ect. Well around the time I turned 15 our two families grew apart and I never saw the Robinsons or Dilley again. Only recently did I acquire an unrelenting thirst for more of the Hunting experience and also realized how spoiled I was with the ranch I grew accustomed to as a child.

I miss waking up at 4 in the morning to the sound of sizzling bacon and eggs to make some of the best breakfast tacos I've ever had in my entire life. Heading out to the blinds before sun-up. Climbing up into the blind as quietly as I could despite the wooden door and rusty latches were anything but squeak free. Getting inside and praying to God there wasn't a hornets nest in the corner and if there was that the Raid spray can on the floor still had some juice in it. Sitting in the dark watching the sunlight creep over the horizon as you listen for the sound of animals. Turkey or pig now heading to the feeder that was throwing corn around it only moments before. Waiting for that elusive monster Whitetail buck to come running out of the thick brush to chase the does and feeling your heart pound harder and harder with every point you count in your binoculars...

Goodness I could write a book on this but for now ill cut to the chase. My father isn't the hunter he used to be and when I told him of what I think will be my new found obsession, and it wasn't golf, he was less than enthusiastic. In his words "David if you find a place that doesn't cost a fortune, we'll do it. But you've gotta do the leg work." Needless to say when I saw SH had a Hunting Forum I was relieved to think I could find some good advice in here.

I'm looking for a good sized piece of land for Whitetail and varment hunting. Doesn't have to have lodging on site but running water would be nice. We don't mind pitching a tent and camping on the ground though. I'm leaning toward signing a lease w other hunters over buying actual land or registering for public hunting grounds. But I am open to ideas. I don't want to be looking down my glass at a monster buck and start worrying about how much this trophy fee is gonna cost me to shoot this animal.

Would very much appreciate any feedback on possible hunting locations in the central to west Texas area. If within 1-2 hours away could be hunting a few times a month. If further I'm looking at a few times a year instead.

Again thanks in advance for reading and taking interest.

.dave

Re: The Texas Hunting Experience

Dave,
I have a mule deer lease available in Fort Stockton Texas if interested. I also have whitetail hunts but they are package hunts not a lease. PM me and I can get you the info.
Mike