• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The truth about Jerry Falwell Jr. and Liberty University.

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    This is not intended as a 'religious' post.

I did some stone masonry projects for Liberty University years ago and had the opportunity to meet Jerry Falwell Sr. on several occasions. While far from perfect I always found the man to be sincere in his faith and intent to do right.

I hear from time to time some of you talk about sending your kids to LU. You might want to reconsider that. First, as a school they are not very well regarded academically.

Apparently that has changed with the hegemony of Jr. Being a 'Christian' involves far more than running your mouth about it, in fact Ive found, generally, the more the mouth runs the farther one is from that point.

‘Someone’s Gotta Tell the Freakin’ Truth’: Jerry Falwell’s ...

www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/09/09/jerry...

Last edited:
    Seems what is typical with any university. Im sure all the non-profits are in fact for profit. This story probably broke because it is a Christian school. The article even states that much of the faculty that are disclosing the information are Trump supporters. Sounds like the writer has an agenda.

Besides that, for some reason Maggot has always had an axe to grind with the Falwells.
    That's what this is really about.

SMFH

Carry on shitstick.
    Youre being a douche bag again. Ive never posted about them beore and if you read my statement it clearly says I thought Falwell Sr. was OK. Go lick your pussy, 'shitstick.'
    My impression is that Maggot has an axe to grind with everything and anyone.

Wrong, fuck wad, that would be Army Jerry. Youre just pissed because youre too ignorant to see the truth about 911 and I rubbed your nose in it.

As to the rest of the comments, I lived in Lynchburg for many years, and as stated worked for Liberty University. The were notorious for not paying on time. They tried it with me and I called them for it in the middle of their crowded lobby and they paid up. Same thing happened to a buddy who was building one of their dorms, he had to threaten to pull down all his scaffolding and leave to get paid. They have the money but try to hold it for months extra to collect the interest. Thats not how I do business.

They hold the local area in fear because they weild so much monetary power. I think tho point trying to be made is not necessarily the 'legality' of some of their moves but do they measure up to the moral and ethical character they 'say' they are about. That I find lacking.

Youre being a douche bag again. Ive never posted about them beore

You are a black liar sir. You have mentioned them many times.

As to the rest of the comments, I lived in Lynchburg for many years, and as stated worked for Liberty University. The were notorious for not paying on time. They tried it with me and I called them for it in the middle of their crowded lobby and they paid up. Same thing happened to a buddy who was building one of their dorms, he had to threaten to pull down all his scaffolding and leave to get paid. They have the money but try to hold it for months extra to collect the interest. Thats not how I do business.

And to prove you are a black liar, you just posted what I have seen you mention several times in the past.

I'm getting old but my memory is sharp as a razor.

The point is that what you are describing can be said about almost every large company and as a contractor myself I have experienced all of it as you have. ( That's why sometimes I make clients even post bonds) I cant say I find that situation either unique or uncommon. Particularly in the south the local areas "big business" or "old money" typically sets the tone and standard for that area. ( often to the detriment of the masses). Its not "right" (insert personal definition of "right" here) but it is reality and has been from day one in humanity. The golden rule.

I also know about the "stories" but in fairness that's only one side.

That said, I'm certainly not defending them ( personally I don't like the Falwells and have no use for the university at all) nor am I in any way attempting to denigrate you but just stating as a contractor that deals with even fortune 50 companies that if we judge many of their "actual performances" on issues against what you see them claim on their PR pages then they are all guilty.

( probably doesn't apply as much in your business but with big machinery try to get some of these companies to pay a large warranty claim or performance guarantee and measure that performance against all the flowery wording in the advertisements and company imaging sections)
    That why a construction lien is always a good idea

The point is that what you are describing can be said about almost every large company and as a contractor myself I have experienced all of it as you have. ( That's why sometimes I make clients even post bonds) I cant say I find that situation either unique or uncommon. Particularly in the south the local areas "big business" or "old money" typically sets the tone and standard for that area. ( often to the detriment of the masses). Its not "right" (insert personal definition of "right" here) but it is reality and has been from day one in humanity. The golden rule.

I also know about the "stories" but in fairness that's only one side.

That said, I'm certainly not defending them ( personally I don't like the Falwells and have no use for the university at all) nor am I in any way attempting to denigrate you but just stating as a contractor that deals with even fortune 50 companies that if we judge many of their "actual performances" on issues against what you see them claim on their PR pages then they are all guilty.

( probably doesn't apply as much in your business but with big machinery try to get some of these companies to pay a large warranty claim or performance guarantee and measure that performance against all the flowery wording in the advertisements and company imaging sections)

Granted that. My point is that they are not just a 'large corporate entity' but professing to represent the values set forth by Christ and his message. The article is exposing the hypocrisy.

You are a black liar sir. You have mentioned them many times.

And to prove you are a black liar, you just posted what I have seen you mention several times in the past.

I'm getting old but my memory is sharp as a razor.

You and Jesse Helms.

And youre not entirely wrong. I did a search and found that I did in fact, in passing mention Falwell, concerning someone else's post. but I couldnt find where I started any posts about him.

Are you being politically correct in saying 'Black' liar. Dont you worry about offending Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton.

Does being a 'black' liar make me worse that an green liar? Or a purple one? How about a rainbow one?

Go back to mommy's basement.

Last edited:
    I'm hardly a Liberty fan or a Falwell fan but:

Well Politico has all the accuracy, reliability and unbiased judgment of CNN and Snopes so it will take more that a self serving article from various "unnamed sources" describing "things" in abstract terms to establish a legitimate accusation.

Nothing I read in that article is criminal, unethical or against any legitimate scriptural precedent identified.

So ( addressing the author of the article) what exactly ( and specifically) is this alleged "truth" and what law/doctrine does it violate and what evidence is there to support the claim?

Otherwise its just more white noise from the fake news media.

i read half way. the unnamed sources is a problem, without credible named sources it sounds like a typical political
    conservative hitjob, solely because Trumps name is associated.

its very typical these days to read stories in the paper and net, that the author only cares to list an org. as the author vs a named
    writer, IF you get that at all.
    when the article gets controversial, i look directly for an authors name. many times it will say, "associated press" or something similar.
    i stop reading
    if you cant divulge your name, you are a coward or playing political games with you words

This x 1000. If you won’t put your name on it, it’s not worth taking as gospel...
    i read half way. the unnamed sources is a problem, without credible named sources it sounds like a typical political
    conservative hitjob, solely because Trumps name is associated.

its very typical these days to read stories in the paper and net, that the author only cares to list an org. as the author vs a named
    writer, IF you get that at all.
    when the article gets controversial, i look directly for an authors name. many times it will say, "associated press" or something similar.
    i stop reading
    if you cant divulge your name, you are a coward or playing political games with you words

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
    Saw this thread yesterday. Read the article and came away with the impression that it's purely a political hit piece, as others have given good reasons for. Then today I get an Apple News Spotlight on my phone. (I don't subscribe to these and rarely get one unless it's something really big like the Mueller Report release, etc). It said, "How Jerry Falwell Created A Culture Of Fear At Liberty University." Yep, concerted and coordinated attack to discredit them, probably based on their Trump support.

And yes, I think Maggot has an axe to grind, and not only with the Falwells.

Reactions: 308pirate
    Saw this thread yesterday. Read the article and came away with the impression that it's purely a political hit piece, as others have given good reasons for. Then today I get an Apple News Spotlight on my phone. (I don't subscribe to these and rarely get one unless it's something really big like the Mueller Report release, etc). It said, "How Jerry Falwell Created A Culture Of Fear At Liberty University." Yep, concerted and coordinated attack to discredit them, probably based on their Trump support.
    I had the same thing happen after viewing the article.

Facts. Ugh. This is the internet. We don’t deal in those...

Reactions: lash
    I think we share the same view but maybe exercise it in different ways.

For example, even though I support LU's right to enact whatever policies they see fit, I do not in any way support their draconian conduct policies and revile when they attempt to hide behind the veil of scripture as a justification when in reality even a cursory review of applicable scripture mandates no such restrictions. Jesus Himself went to bars and was accused of being a drunkard ( obviously He drank and His first recorded miracle was turning water into wine for a party). I say the same for Bob Jones and other institutions so my thoughts on that type of policy is universal.

Also, there is nothing wrong ( legally or scripturally) with them going to the club ( even a gay one) and physical presence is in no way an indicator of support of a given thing.

Personally I think he is paranoid and reacting like an idiot because his acts ( innocuous as they were) cast a negative light on his "image" and is trying to weasel his way out of it. (I think his holiness deserves some time swimming in the deep fryer as it works wonders for keeping ones ego and self righteousness in check and I'm enjoying watching him squirm.)

I fully believe he was caught red handed being an idiot because of questionable judgment and is now caught trying to spin it which is making it worse. I hope he learns a lesson and grows from the experience.

All that said, that doesn't make any of the other accusations true or his claims of actions taken against him false. ( looks like a lot of straw man accusations to me)

I just prefer to let all the facts surface and evaluate them on the merits

Agree, mostly, and well said, sir.